As our cycling days have come to a close, I think it's time to move our "Infertility Resume" from my sidebar to a post that can be linked. A small change in the scheme of things, but a big one in my mind.........
1997 - age 23
- Met and began dating M
1999 - age 25
- Started taking Birth Control Pills
2000 - age 26
- Stopped taking Birth Control Pills due to migraines and started charting BBT for pregnancy avoidance. BaaaaHaaaa. Yes we really thought we needed to avoid at one point.
2002 - age 28
- October: Married M and stopped charting. Used "guessing" when I ovulated as our method of birth control. I seriously thought I was a pro and just knew my body so well.
2005 - age 31
- August: Officially began our baby making adventures au naturale. M doesn't want this to be a "science experiment" with charting and the like - little does he know what is in store.
2006 - age 32
- June: Started charting again (thinking my internal ovulation guessing powers are just a bit off).
- July: My first and only ever UTI with lots of pelvic pain. The infection disappeared with antibiotics, but the pelvic pain remained. I had many doctor appointments over the next year with no relief. We continued charting and trying while searching to find an answer.
2007 - age 33
- March: I changed medical groups and found an OB/Gyn who specializes in pelvic pain. She suspected 2 culprits to the pain based on my symptoms and recommended a laparoscopy and a visit to a urologist.
- June: Cystoscopy with urologist to diagnose Interstitial Cystitis. Bittersweet - at least we know why I hurt.
- August: Laparoscopy to diagnose and remove endometriosis on right ovary and all throughout pelvic wall. Endo and IC - the evil twins of pelvic pain. Lovely.
- August: Hysteroscopy, HSG, and D&C completed with no issues found.
- September: Began IC elimination diet to figure out IC trigger foods; Began taking Prelief; Other prescription medications may be more effective, but are not baby friendly so I must wait until we are done with our baby making adventures to get some true relief.
- October: First appointment with RE - All bloodwork normal (FSH=8.2; E2=35)
- November: Turned 34 - 1 year until Advanced Maternal Age. Bloodwork and semen analysis for M. - all normal
- December: IUI #1 with 75IU Menopur - 2 follicles - Negative (FSH=10.4 borderline elevated; E2=35)
2008 - age 34
- January: New RE recommended IVF due to elevated FSH, age, and the lack of antral follicles on baseline ultrasound. (FSH=11.1 borderline elevated; E2=45)
- February: IVF #1 (Antagonist Protocol with 300IU Gonal-f, 150IU Menopur); ICSI and AH; 13 eggs - 8 mature - 3 embryos; 3-day transfer with all surviving embryos (8-cell grade 3, 4-cell grade 1 and 4-cell grade 2 on grade scale of 1 'worst' to 4 'best'). Negative.
- March: IVF #1 follow-up: Eggs were poor quality and embryos very fragmented; recommend trying a different protocol and also adding Lovenox and Prednisone for possible autoimmune issues; Plan for May cycle.
- April: Started seeing a therapist and began Acupuncture. (FSH=8.1 WooHoo!!; E2=31) Sigmoidoscopy reveals polyp in colon - IVF#2 postponed from May to June
- May: Colonoscopy to remove 1cm polyp - cells are pre-cancerous; bullet dodged and back to IVF#2
- June: IVF#2 (modified Long Lupron with 375IU Gonal-f , 75IU Menopur, and 10IU dropped to 2.5IU Lupron; cycle converted to Stop Lupron Protocol with no more Lupron due to oversuppression); ICSI and AH; 8 eggs - 6 mature - 5 embryos; 3-day transfer with all surviving embryos (8-cell grade 2, 6-cell grade 2, 5-cell grade 3, 4-cell grade 3, and 2-cell grade 1 - who we just couldn't leave behind - graded on scale of 1 'worst' to 4 'best'). Negative.
- July: IVF #2 follow-up: Eggs were poor quality and embryos severely fragmented; recommend donor eggs or adoption; Quit therapy and acupuncture - tired of it all.
- August: Follow-up Sigmoidoscopy. All polyp remnants are gone.
- September: Decided on and set up appointment with another clinic.
- October: Phone consult with Dr. Schoolcraft at CCRM followed by 1-day work-up. M's SA came back with 3% morphology. ICSI is recommended for anything under 4%, but we are already doing this so not a big deal. Started seeing a new therapist.
- November: E-tegrity Endometrial Biopsy (aka uterus torture) done on my 35th birthday; FSH=8.45 WooHoo!!; E2=31.4, AMH=4.2) All other test results are normal too. Started taking 75mg DHEA daily.
2009 - age 35
- January/February: IVF #3 (the closure cycle at CCRM) (Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol with 300IU Gonal-f, 150IU Menopur, 20IU microdose Lupron, and 0.33cc Saizen - human growth hormone); ICSI and AH; 16 eggs - 6 mature and 3 fertilized; 4 more matured in the lab and 2 more fertilized on day 2 (4-cell grade 2 'discarded' and 3-cell grade 2 'discarded'); 3-day transfer with 3 "original" embryos (8-cell grade 4-, 8-cell grade 3 with fragmentation removed, 5-cell grade 3- with fragmentation removed) Grading scale of 1 'worst' to 4 'best'. Negative.
- February: IVF #3 follow-up: Eggs were poor quality and don't look "quite right", embryos were fragmented. Because we made one good embryo (8-cell grade 4-) we are in a grey area in that we could try again if we really wanted to. Based on our history though, we will likely not get any better result. Strongly recommended donor eggs.
The end of the road in fertility treatments for us, but not the end of the road to parenthood.......
18 comments:
I think that's an important step for you. Get that old history out of sight!
Hmmm... you hint at a road still leading to parenthood. What do you have up your sleeve?
It seems like you are feeling a bit better B, and I'm so glad. This "transition" time is a rough one, but with time it slowly fades into the background.
WOW... how frustrating!!!! This is something that will always remain with you. It's a permanant scar you have.
"The end of the road in fertility treatments for us, but not the end of the road to parenthood......."
Tears welled up in my eyes reading this. This is a good transition. I like the sound if it.
I have no words. I think it is a good thing to remove that information and just file it away as a part of your history but I know the wound is still open. I am still here to follow along, whatever path you follow.
Oh the days of preventing conception **rolling eyes**.
I think it's a great idea to not have this list staring at you every time you open your blog.
I'm so bummed your journey to a bio child is over, it's not fair and you deserved this! I'm sad for you.
What's your next step to parenthood?
Hugs!
I really wish you didn't have such a "resume" :-(.
Best of luck in the next steps, whatever they may be!
There is something so sad and yet still so beautiful in this post.
To new beginnings.
I second what Emily wrote: To new beginnings. Wherever that takes you, I'll be here with you, B.
Brenda, you've had a long, hard journey filled with much disappointment and heartache. I can only imagine that this time is difficult. You are ending one journey and beginning a new one and although both roads are headed toward parenthood it must be scary to venture on a new path. Please know as you take your first steps on this new road to parenthood that I'll be here to walk with you. ((HUGS))
You have done everything you can in terms of treatment - you really can look back with "no regrets".
I wish you an easy journey through your next phase - this last one has obviously been so frustratingly difficult.
I think moving the history to a post is a great step towards closure. Also, I'm so glad to see that you are looking to the future and continuing the road to parenthood. I know that things haven't been easy... sending tons of hugs your way!
I think I found my egg twin.
I'm glad you are in a place to make this step--moving this to your history. I'm here for you, whatever path you take--I'll be here, rooting for you.
((HUGS))
Can I say how exciting I think it is that you have done this?? I think it's great. Your next steps to parenthood won't be about fertility, and I think moving the resume off the sidebar is great... that's not what it's all about anymore.
I hope you can hear how hard I am cheering for you over here.
I agree with Murgdan - your last sentance sent was / is amazing. After everythign you and your husband have been through there is still hope in your heart! (and personally - I have to put in a little plug for adoption...we chose that path before we tried ART and for us - it was the best decision we ever made!) Good luck!
Heartbreaking.
And easy to forget that for some people it is so simple ...
Good luck with whatever you decide on next.
I'd like to "third" Murgdan's response.
No matter how my journey ends with Shelby, I don't know if I'll ever feel able to move my resume off the 'sidebar'
Post a Comment