About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Friday, April 8, 2011

all craptastic things must come to an end

Lately it is harder to come to this place than it is to stay away.  I've wasted hours writing and deleting a good 50 posts since the last one I actually published.  The right words are just not there anymore and it's time to put an end to the madness and start letting go.

Before I delete the unpublished posts, I often wonder who the person is that wrote those words.  I wonder how and when she came to be that way - sad, bitter, angry.  I wonder if she will ever feel comfortable in her own skin again.  If her insides will match her outsides and the fake happy facade can finally fade away.

Sometimes it feels like I am back to square one.

And yet, I know I'm not.

I'm out and I'm living and I'm pushing forward.  I'm trying with everything I have and yet the sadness continues to sit just under the surface.  This was not the life I ever saw myself living.

Sometimes I forget.  Forget that our path to parenthood is stalled out.  At a dead end.  Likely over.  Today I sat in our den (while I was supposed to be dusting) and fantasized where we would put a crib and changing table.  I mentally rearranged the closet organizers to accommodate hanging rods for tiny clothes.  Later as I put away cleaning supplies, I thought about what things would need to be done/rearranged to pass a homestudy.

Tonight reality set in once again and the tears just continue to roll.  Who am I fooling?  Crib?  Homestudy?  I don't seem to remember M having a change of heart about adoption and last I checked my reproductive system had all but checked out on a permanent vacation.

When did it all become so complicated?  Never in a million years did I expect that someone who exists only in my head could be powerful enough to even make a dent on my fully-reserved-for-M heart.  Yet somehow M and my imaginary baby are collectively shredding it to pieces.

I don't have it in me to write about childless-not-by-choice living so I think the time has come to say good-bye to No Regrets...

I don't even know if anyone is reading anymore, but just in case...  I do want to thank everyone who has stopped by, silently followed along, commented, supported, commiserated, helped me see another point of view, and pulled me out of some of the most craptastic times of my life.  I know without a doubt I could not have made it this far without you.  I apologize for not being in a place to follow along with you and offer up the same support right now.  I hope to check in on you all now and again and I am sending out a wish for everyone who is still battling this beast to find a way through.  So far the alternative really sucks ass (said in my fake-cheeriest of tones).

And if you have made it through, please, please, please don't ever forget your sisters still in the trenches...  when it seems they have it all under control is likely when they most need to hear a simple "how are you?" from someone who has been there.

Do not assume that she who seeks to comfort you now, lives untroubled among the simple and quiet words that sometimes do you good. Her life may also have much sadness and difficulty, that remains far beyond yours. Were it otherwise, she would never have been able to find these words.” -Rainer Maria Rilke




**and for my FB friends, I didn't unfriend anyone - just deactivated my account**

54 comments:

Lara said...

I'm so sorry you are feeling so low, although I completely understand--I'm in the same childless not by choice category and have been trying unsuccessfully to live this life happily for several years now. I recently realized, even for all the good reasons to embrace this life, I will not be truly happy unless I am a mom. So I told my husband this, adding, "so we need to find a way for us to make this happen that you will be comfortable with." He agreed Although we are still on hold because of some life stuff for a few months more, it has given me some hope.

I will definitely miss your blog, and hope you can find some peace and resolution soon.

Panamahat said...

I will miss you, and hearing your honest words. I don't need 'hope' and 'trust' and sunshine to help me endure my own journey, but I do find much comfort in the open heart speaking its truth from the trenches. I am sorry you will be keeping yours to yourself, but I understand why, and that sometimes our need to protect and nurture ourselves is a greater need than sharing the struggles of our soul.

Sending you love wherever you go and wherever you may be. xx

Illanare said...

I can understand too. This is a hard, hard road especially when we didn't chose to be on it.

I will miss your blog and wish you well for the future.

Liz said...

Not the ending we all hoped for but I think you know when the time is right to stop. And maybe a bit of weight will be lifted off your shoulders.

Take care.

xx

Anonymous said...

I continue to hope you find the healing you are searching for. All the best moving forward.

MyTwoLines said...

My heart aches for you. ACHES. I want you to have peace and happiness. Your soul deserves it. I am so so sorry you and M are not on the same page regarding any next steps. I am just sitting here wishing there was some way to telepathically help him see that other choices can be OK...

You are always on my mind. I hate that if you ever see a post from me it hurts... and it's weird because I most definitely don't think I crossed over in any traditional sense since...but yet... I will never forget others who are still fighting their way out.

Just know that I care. Always will :) You're still my egg-twin, ok?

Hugs and more hugs.

Just Me. said...

i miss you. i love you and i want to give you a hug....

Heather said...

I will moss your words. They are often relatable and poignant. Sending you love wherever your journey takes you.

Wendy said...

Love and care about you, B. I'm here for you.

It Is What It Is said...

I am saddened and sorry to read this. But more, I am sorry you are in this dark place. The best I can do is offer thoughts of comfort and healing and of a path revealed.

I do hope that, perhaps, after some time away, you'll come back if only to let us know how you are.

It is sad when these longtime url connections end.

MN said...

Everything about infertility sucks but I think one of the worst parts is how much of ourselves we lose in the process. I think we can all empathize but as someone else has already said, only you can know when it's time to step back from this battle and move forward, wherever "forward" may take you. Best of luck, always, and I hope you have your happy ending, if not maybe in the way you had always planned.

asandersbonelli said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with your fellow infertiles for all of these years. And thank you for supporting all of us through our blogs. Wishing you peace.

S said...

I will miss reading your posts but can relate to your feelings. I'm sorry that you are in a bad place now, and I wish you the best of luck with pushing forward to whatever may be.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

hey brenda, it's erika. i'm not linking to my profile for obvious reasons. just wanted to tell you that i think about you all the time, and i pray that somehow things brighten for you- whether adoption becomes a possibility, or fertility happens, or acceptance grows. i want you to be happy, and it is so heartbreaking that you are not.

i just want you to know that i am here for you and think of you often. ((((((hugs))))))

sending you lots of love. for what it's worth, i think you should keep the blog open and write from time to time. even if you are writing from a place of bitterness, it is okay. sometimes you just have to get it all out for it to start to heal (i remember writing some pretty bitter posts, myself).

love,
Erika

B and D said...

I am so sorry, B. I hope that things take a positive turn for you and M soon in regards to this chapter of your life. My heart hurts so much for you guys... Please know I will keep you in my thoughts and I hope that one day you will pick back up with your writing/blog again. Good or bad we are here to support you whenever you need us :) Big, big hugs to you!!

Claudia said...

I wish it wasn't this way. I wish there was something, anything I could say to make this a tiny bit better, but I know that there's not.

I wish it wasn't this way. Really going to miss you.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna follow in Erika's footsteps and not post my profile...you know who I am.

You have been in my thoughts & prayers so much and I apologize for not emailing....I don't have any great words of wisdom other than to say that you are thought of...I pray that whichever path you and M choose to take that you will find peace in it.

((Hugs))

~Devon

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, but I've enjoyed reading your blog on and off for some time now. I hope you continue to write, and I hope you find some peace in whatever path your life takes.

Lydia said...

I only recently started following your blog, but appreciated how truly candid you were in every post & found an instant connection to you because I too am in the same childless not by choice category for 3.5 years now. I'm new to blogging as well & have found it so beneficial to "get things off my chest" so I can maintain as much control over my life as possible. It's a healthy release for me. Anyway, you need to do what is healthiest for you, but I'm hoping you just take a break and don't delete it all together. There's too many of us out there depending on the support of 'strangers' who truly understand all the ups & downs of this craptastic situation because most of the people in our day to day lives just don't understand.

I wish you peace & happiness in anyway you can find it. There's no doubt you are overdue.

Erin said...

It's Erin.

No need to explain anything. I'm just glad to hear something. You know where to find me, and I'll keep reaching you through other avenues to let you know that I am always, always keeping you in my heart, on my mind.

B, I have to believe there is something more for you and M. I'm curious to know more about where he is in his thinking.

I'm here when/if a new direction is to be explored.

I hate that you are in so much pain... undeserved, unwarranted, unlimited. I know there is a path to peace out there for you.

Always here and thinking of you.

<3 E

Brenna said...

Ah B. Though we've never met, I think you're a truly beautiful person. I've felt connected to you, to your struggle, to your heart via this space over the years. It IS challenging to put yourself out there like this, and while I'll miss your updates (however infrequent they became, they were always something I rushed to read) I can understand needing to step away. The other responses say it so well--but I'm also hoping that your path forward is one that leads you to many moments of happiness.

xxoo
B

Anonymous said...

I wish I would have hugged you harder last week.
XOXO

'Murgdan' said...

I am so sorry you have to live with this rotting stinking festering pain every single day...and I hope the two of you can reach a consensus at some point. I could leave you with a million 'i wishes' or 'im sorrys' but you've heard them all before and they can't fix it anyway. I will miss you.

Lorraine said...

I totally get it. But I hate it anyway - you are the gold standard of honesty and wit and perseverance and support. You have been really important to many of us, and I thank you so much for writing so courageously and sympathetically and viciously and sweetly as you have.

Your voice here will be missed. But still call me if you're on the Westside!

Sue said...

I always get a little excited when I see a post from you. I know that is coming to an end...and I totally understand. But, you will be missed. You are an incredibly strong person with a heart of gold and regardless of who gets to hold some of that heart, be it children or just M and family and friends, they are incredibly lucky to have you. Hugs.

TheSheila said...

Hey there,
Just wanted to say that your blog has always been about so much more than infertility for me. Your posts persuaded me to go get a colonoscopy I had been procrastinating about for months.
Your post about your Dad's passing (and subsequent ones about how your Mom coped) helped me through my own mother's passing more than you can ever know.

Thank you so much for these and all your other posts. I will miss your writing - you are a very talented writer.

Very best of luck to you in whatever the future holds for you and M.

Take good care,
TS

Jill M. said...

Ahhhh B, big hugs my friend!!! I understand wanting to end the blog, we'll still be here if you return. I hope someday that you return with news like M changed his mind and that you are a mommy. What an awesome surprise that would be! I'm still holding out hope for you! You will be missed.

Anonymous said...

I have silently followed your blog since 2008. And like others have said, I am so sorry to know that you are in this 'craptastic' place in your life. Having been there as a fellow endo sufferer, I know the dark shadows and soul-sucking that infertility brings us. I am hopeful that by stepping away from this blog, you are releasing some of the sadness associated with it and creating a new space for unimagined, positive, and fulfilling possibilities that lay ahead for you and M. Thank for always sharing your story with such clever wit and honesty - they made all the difference in my own journey. Best wishes for you and your beautiful family.

Anonymous said...

((hugs))
Wish I could say...or do...something to help with the pain :(.

luna said...

I'm so sorry to see you go, but I fully understand the need for self-preservation.

more than anything, I hope that you can eventually come to a place of peace and healing. I hope you can find a path with your husband that brings contentment to you both. this path is so freaking hard, even harder when you hit what seems like a dead end. though your journey hasn't taken you where you envisioned, here's hoping it leads somewhere wonderful all the same. xo

Anonymous said...

well shit on a stick.

i just like to read what you write - no matter the topic - so i will miss your blog.

i ALMOST got to meet you at the warrior dash in lake elsinore! but alas, it was not meant to be. i saw pictures of your petite gorgeousness, though!

i wish you happiness.

xoxoxo

heather said...

i'm so sorry for the pain you're feeling. i'm sorry more people don't understand what this feels like - that there's no badge we can wear that lets them know there's a hole inside. I do my best to get through each day and somehow that translates to the world as Everything's Fine. my only consolation for you at this moment is that I've seen too many times how quickly things can turn. i don't know how - or when - but just that they can. that helps me look forward rather than back.

thank you for sharing your journey with us - it takes a great deal of courage to lay bare this heartache. you've given us lots to think about, and you've made our own journeys (i'm still in the trenches) that much less lonely.

Nikki said...

I hear you - 100%. I'm so with you - neither here, nor there. No resolution, no future plans, no idea where this is headed. I deactivated my FB account too. I'm living my life, loving some parts of it, some parts we are trying to forget and it is getting easier by the day. Is this the life I envisioned? No. But can I deal with it? I guess so.

My blog is so dead too, and I've been "wordless" for so long too.

I'm here, you know where to find me, and you know I'll be thinking of you. I will be in your neck of the woods in May - will try and catch up then - how about that?

Till then (((Hugs)))

Anonymous said...

If adoption is out of the question for M, you still have the choice of egg donor. Please give that a chance. You will heal so much easier without the agony of being childless not by choice. There is a baby you can carry and be a mother for and that crib and the rods of baby gear is waiting for you. Grab it.
-Emily

Ashley said...

I haven't even been able to say anything because I'm so sad. Sad for you. Sad that you won't be posting anymore. Sad that you are hurting so deeply. Sad that you ar eno longer on Facebook.

Sad, sad, sad.

I am still your friend no matter how lousy you feel or how deep in the trenches you are. I will be reaching out to you to show you that I care and adore you.

You are so amazing, B! Amazing.

Just Me. said...

i'm back.

how are you today?

missing you heaps. really heaps.

Libby said...

My heart is very heavy for you. I am in a similar place. I might give up my dream of being a mother if the future would stop smacking me in the face. A lonely future it will be if we remain childless. I think about my 2 childless not by choice friends who are in their early fifties now. They say they have made their peace with IF, yet their eyes stil well with tears when they hear me speak about my journey. I hope M comes around, and I hope that some how, some way, there is a child in your future.

Mo said...

oh - I am so sad to read this. as another woman still out here, still in the trenches, i want you to know that you are not alone. I will miss you, and hope that you decide to post again. wishing you strength and a resolution that brings you some happiness. with you,

Mo

Sissy said...

I will pray that somehow M's heart will change. While I do know the pain of being childless, my husband never had any reservations about adopting. My current struggle is with our over two year wait for a baby, and the one failed match we experienced when the birth mother changed her mind.

I hope the next weeks bring you peace and that you feel the outpouring of love from your readers!

Phoebe said...

"Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end."

I get the not wanting to blog anymore, when you are stuck in limbo, wondering if your husband or situation will ever change, while it seems that everyone else around you is getting pregnant, adopting, doing donor eggs or embryos, doing something to build a family, all the while you are doing nothing. So there with you. Maybe this will finally help me let go of my latent blog too.

So then, you are left with wondering, "what now?" If it's not the life you chose, then what do you do with your life? That's where I am at, trying to figure out where I fit in and how I can thrive instead of just surviving.

I'll be stalking you in other ways! Ditto to all the other amazing things everyone has said about you.

Sky said...

:(

Me said...

I <3 you. And I'm sorry.

Wendy said...

Thinking of you, B...

Rebel With.A.Cause said...

Oh sweetie... First off, I am sorry I am so late in responding to this... been in my own dark place. I just want to tell you that I love you tons, and will miss you more then words can say. I will always keep you in my heart and hope that someday you will get your hearts desire.

Much Love,
Erica

Lisa said...

"Were it otherwise, she would never have been able to find these words."

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Please know you are in my thoughts, often, and I wish so many things.

I will continue to be here to support, commiserate,share and also celebrate (yes, celebrate!) the good things as they follow you in life. I KNOW good things will follow you. Because you are the kind of person who good things WILL happen for. I deeply believe this.

I don't know that my words are the right words. And I don't know if they provide any comfort. But I hope so.

Lisa said...

"Were it otherwise, she would never have been able to find these words."

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Please know you are in my thoughts, often.

I will continue to be here to support, commiserate, share and celebrate (yes, celebrate!) the good things that will come in your life. I know good things...whatever/however those things may be...WILL come. Because you are the kind of person who will bring those things. I deeply believe this.

I don't know if these words are the right words. And I don't know if they will provide you comfort. But I hope so.

Anonymous said...

Oh Brenda,

I will certainly miss you. I'm unbelievably sad and angry on your behalf. I want you to have all that you so deserve. I wish words or a hug could take it all away.

I want the best for you and I will miss you,
Polly

Lisa said...

I am really sorry that this journey has come to an end for you, after so much that you went through, and how hard you fought and everything you endured. You are a special person and you were open, honest, and wore your emotions on your sleeve. For that, you have helped many others along the way. I hope that somehow your journey takes a wonderful unexpected change for the positive, just when you least expect it. Sometimes life doesn't work out the way we expect or the way we want, but maybe in a new different direction, you will find happiness love and peace. I won't forget you, and will always hope for the best. And when that day does, open your heart and let yourself enjoy it, whatever form it comes in.

Momasita said...

I am a little late finding this post. i am sorry that you are ending your blog, but I understand your need to do it. I am sorry too, that you are in this unhappy place and I hope you and M can find some peace. Thank you for your support over the last few years, seeing your comments on my blog have always brought a smile to my face.

Take care, my friend. If the urge hits you, drop me an email.

Shelby said...

Clearly you answered whether anyone is still reading...we are all still here, and all collectively sad to see you go, but obviously we all are understanding that you must do what you must do to protect yourself. Your description of imagining the crib and later crying brought tears to my eyes because I know that ache well, remember it well. I will repeat it: I hope that you do find peace in whatever path you find yourself on. Should you choose to return, we'll all be waiting...

*always remembering my sisters in the trenches!!

jami said...

I am sorry to hear you are closing your blog down, but I completely understand and only want the best for you. I have silently followed your journey over the last few years and your words have spoken to my heart countless times. This post brought tears to my eyes. Even though our IVF was successful, I will never, ever forget my sisters still in the trenches. Allowing myself to think about that time in my life brings ALL of those feelings rushing back in. It's still an open wound that I thought having a baby would fix. In some ways it did, but I am convinced infertility is a lifelong scar to bear.

I am also sorry that B is not open to adoption. I know it's not a cure-all, blah, blah, but having that option taken away from you, as well, is heartbreaking.

Peace to you, my friend.

KT said...

I stumbled upon your blog today from another...and it seems we are much in the same place. We tried naturally...we tried adoption...things just didn't work out.

I have written and rewritten and written again a post to explain our moving on, but I haven't yet found the right words.

It is hard; though it seems that I am getting stronger day by day, I often get knocked down by the occasional..."do you have children"...etc.

We like to travel and be adventurous, so we are going to continue on that path and enjoy life as much as we can.

Know that there are others out there like you...we do exist. While I am not a Mormon, I found a "Childless Mormon" blog that had a lot of good support information. Do stop by my blog or email (kmitacek@hotmail.com) should you want to chat.

Melissa G said...

OMG, HOW DID I MISS THIS????

I hardly know where to begin. I just hate this for you so much, and my heart aches for the grief that holds you.

I completely understand feeling like you just don't know what else to say, but I'm with everyone else - you will most certainly be missed.

I know we've only known each other for a short while, but I just want to thank you for all of your support. It means so very much. Glad I'll still get to "see" you on FB, and maybe next time you're in the bay area.

Big Squishy hugs to you, my friend.

Niki said...

I need to apologize for not commenting when you first posted this. I read your post and then reread it two other times, but couldn't seem to find the right words to say in a comment. I was/am so angry and sad for you. This whole infertility BS just blows. Its unfair and maddening! Also, the last thing I want(ed) is to add salt to a wound. It's weird now that I'm on the other side. I worry that my words of encouragement aren't as meaningful (even though they are every bit as geniune as they were two years ago) to you and others in the trenches. Anyway this is all my issue and not yours. I just wanted you to know that my heart is aching for you and that I'm still here cheering you on! (BTW ... I'm super excited to hear about your next steps!)