I know most of you who read this blog can look at my meds and figure out what protocol I am on without any further explanation, so I apologize to you in advance. This post is mostly for me (selfish little bitch, I know) so I can look back a year from now when I have forgotten what all this crap was for and really see how far I have come. That's the plan anyway.......growth and moving forward, no matter what.
So here it is in all it's glory. I know, another IVF meds picture.......ooohh......ahhh...... right?
Now, for the part that will occupy my head for a bit. What is all this crap? What's it for? When/how do I take it? How does it make me feel? How much did it cost me?
Of course, I'm no RE (although I like to think I could play one with all the information I have earned ever so expensively) so take this with a grain of salt and feel free to correct me where I screw things up. I'm only 2 Lupron shots into this cycle so I can still try to play nicely.
The 30,000 ft view of IVF meds is basically this. RE needs to take over full control of my cycle (which includes taking over my body, my emotions, my bank account, and my dignity in turn). He will make my body grow multiple eggs which he will then surgically remove and fertilize with M's sperm in a lab, creating embryos that he will culture in the lab until they are ready to be transferred back to my uterus.
To do this he uses mega doses of injectable hormones to stimulate my dusty old decrepit ovaries to grow the multiple eggs and uses other medications to prevent me from ovulating on my own. There are others to help the eggs inside the follicles to fully mature and yet others to prevent infection, inflammation, and rejection of the embryos. There are still others to help with my response and others to help get my uterus ready for implanting those embryos and sustaining a pregnancy. Easy so far, right?
- What's it for: It can be used to regulate cycles or to help prevent OHSS in high responders. I don't qualify for either of these, but because I'm doing a MDL protocol I am taking them to help prevent having a lead follicle. (The risk is that I could be over-suppressed, meaning my ovaries will have a hard time waking up when it's time to make some eggs.)
- When/how to take it: I would like to think this one is easy, but I have alot of fertile friends who have forgotten 1 or 2 pills and ended up with babies. Novel concept, huh? I guess they really are good for getting pregnant. I took 13 of these bad boys starting on cd3 and am thrilled to tears they are done.
- How do they make me feel: nauseous and headachey with a flip-flopping tummy and near constant spotting and cramps
- My cost: $45
2) Lupron (microdose): aka the devil's drug at our house
- What's it for: Lupron (given in microdoses) is a drug that will stimulate my pituitary to release its own natural store of FSH and thus "flaring" my ovaries to start working before we add in medicated FSH. (My body needs all the FSH help it can get since I am considered a "poor responder".) After a few days the Lupron will take on a suppressive effect to prevent me from ovulating on my own and thus losing all those precious eggs we are working so hard to grow.
- When/how to take it: For my MDL protocol, I will start this 4 days after my last BCP which is around cd3 again. Contrary to popular belief it is NOT licked on by kittens, but injected subcutaneously (under the skin) in the belly or thigh with a 1/2" needle every 12 hours from cd3 until trigger (~24 injections).
- How does it make me feel: full of hormonally induced rage with hot flashes and night sweats. For a recap of my last encounter go here, here, or here.
- My cost: $105.14
3) Gonal-f
- What's it for: Gonal-f is pure FSH (follicle stimulating hormone) and it does just as it is named - stimulates the follicles to produce more than it's one monthly egg quota.
- When/how to take it: I will be taking 300IU of this drug every evening with one more sub-q 1/2" belly (or thigh) shot. (Hmmm, remember the days when belly shots meant something totally different**.) I will take it from ~cd5 until trigger (~10 injections).
- How does it make me feel: bloated and moody
- For extra credit: There are 2 ways that FSH medications are made. One is from recombinant FSH occurring in genetically modified Chinese Hamster Ovary cells cultured in bioreactors (gonal-f, follistim) and the other is made from the urine of menopausal women (bravelle). Lovely thoughts of what is being injected, huh?
- My cost: $2390.00
4) Menopur
- What's it for: Menopur is made up of 50% FSH and 50% LH. It serves the same purpose as gonal-f with the FSH. The LH is used to help mature the eggs.
- When/how to take it: I will be taking 150IU of this drug every morning with one more sub-q 1/2" injection to the belly or thigh. It is also taken from ~cd5 until trigger (~10 injections)
- How does it make me feel: pretty much the same as gonal-f except this one burns a bit when injected
- More extra credit: Menopur is made from the urine of menopausal women. Upon learning this during IVF#1, I decided that we will try to recoup our IVF costs upon my early menopause by selling my old lady piss back to the companies that charged us an arm and a leg for their product. Total full circle, huh?
- My cost: $1318.00
5) Saizen
- What's it for: Hell if I really know. Saizen is a human growth hormone and there have been some "studies" that have shown it may or may not help with increased response during IVF cycles for low or poor responders. It's one of those WTF kinds of things that we might as well try.
- When/how to take it: I will take 0.33ccs by way of 1 1/4" intramuscular injection in my upper ass cheek from cd3-cd7 (5 injections)
- How does it make me feel: I have never taken this one before, but I like to think I will feel like lifting a bus (or at least my ovaries will feel like picking up some slack and making a couple of really good eggs for once).
- Just wondering: I had to buy 6 dosages of this, but will only use 5. My 1 extra dose lost cost is $101.16. Think it has the same street value?
- My cost: $606.93
6) Dexamethasone
- What's it for: Dexamethasone is a steroid used to help prevent my immune system from attacking any embryos that might want to implant.
- When/how to take it: This is an oral medication taken once a day beginning with my first Lupron injection and lasting through the first weeks of pregnancy (at least 25 pills)
- How does it make me feel: I have never taken this one before, but the side effects listed are difficulty sleeping, feeling of a whirling motion, increased appetite, increased sweating, indigestion, mood changes, nervousness
- My cost: $1.68 7) Pergnyl
- What's it for: This is the HCG trigger which is used for the final maturation of the eggs and to help loosen them from the follicle just before ER.
- When/how to take it: This injection is very time critical and is done ~35 hours prior to egg retrieval. At ~ 40 hours past an HCG trigger shot, ovulation could occur "naturally", the eggs would be released, and the cycle would be over. Very, very bad to screw the timing up on this one. This injection is an intramuscular one given in the rump with a 1 1/4" needle on about cd13-15ish (1 bad ass injection).
- How it makes me feel: It makes me feel relief because I know the end of my egg growing and belly injections are near. My ass usually hurts for a few days.
- My cost: $50.90
- What's it for: Medrol is another steroid used to prevent any inflammation between the embryo and endometrial lining.
- When/how to take it: I will begin taking this orally the night of ER for 4 days (4 pills)
- How it makes me feel: I haven't taken this one either, but side effects listed are fluid retention
- My cost: $13.16
- What it's for: Tetracycline is an antibiotic used to help prevent infection that could be caused when the vaginal wall is punctured during the egg retrieval process.
- When/how to take it: I will begin taking this orally 4x a day the afternoon of the ER (14 pills)
- How it makes me feel: Usually just a bit of an upset stomach
- My cost: $4.20 10) Endometrin
- What it's for: Endometrin is progesterone. During the ER process, the progesterone producing cells are removed along with the eggs and follicular fluid causing the ovaries unable to produce progesterone. Progesterone is necessary for endometrial development and embryo support and thus, must be supplemented.
- When/how to take it: This is a vaginal suppository shoved up the lady bits 3 times a day beginning a couple days after ER into the first weeks of pregnancy. (at least 39 coochie pills) (Another option for progesterone is the PIO (progesterone in oil) injection given intramuscularly in the rear). I was given the option and chose the mess over the sore ass.
- How it makes me feel: This is the bless-ed thing that makes me feel crazy during the 2ww as all of the side effects mimic pregnancy - sore boobs, abdominal pain, nausea, and fatigue. It also makes me feel totally messy "down there" and wishing I had bought stock in panty liners.
- My cost: $261.20 for 40 inserts
- What it's for: Vivelle patches provide estrogen needed to help maintain an early pregnancy.
- When/how to take it: The patches are little stickers placed directly on the skin. The estrogen is absorbed into the skin. I will put 2 of these patches somewhere on my abdomen or back starting on the day of ET and change them every couple days into the first weeks of pregnancy (at least 12 patches)
- How they make me feel: headache, nausea, upset stomach. They also really suck to pull off leaving huge red marks for awhile after removing one. I would do another injection over removing these little fuckers any day of the week.
- My cost: $108.80 for 16 patches
- What it's for: That good old pre-natal vitamin with folic acid, DHA, and all that other good stuff a baby needs. This one has 2 pills, hence the duet.
- When/how to take it: Duh....I like to take 'em at bedtime because the aftertaste of the fish oil is disgusting. I have been taking these kind of things for over 4 years now. (at least 40 x2 taken during this cycle).
- How they make me feel: Occasional upset stomach if I haven't eaten for awhile, disgusting tasting burps
- My cost: $30/month
- swallow 56 pills and 80 vitamins
- inject 44 needles into your belly/thigh
- inject another 6 big honkers into your ass
- shove 39 horse pills up your lady bits
- and wear 12 of the stickiest - rip your hair off - patches on your belly
- pay just shy of $5000 for "just" the meds and
- act like a raging hormonal, bloated lunatic for over a month
42 comments:
Yes, those are very different belly shots! LOL. That is a lot of meds and a lot of money. Whoever said "just IVF" obviously doesn't have their head screwed on right.
I really really want this cycle to work for you. Thank you for keeping us updated, and I will definitely be praying for you. I find it so painful and maddening that this is what you have to go through- for all this effort, money, and hard work- you deserve a whole gaggle of kiddos...truly. I wish I had a magic wand to make everything better.
Much love,
Erika
Oh, wow. Oh wow. This is by far the best (ie, worst) IVF meds explanation I have ever seen. Seems the people who think other people should 'just' do IVF are very closely related to the people who think other people should 'just' adopt. Oh, hang on, they're the same people, aren't they??
GOOD LUCK honey!! I'm hoping you can one day show these pictures to your child when he / she is a teenager and won't clean their room. LOOK WHAT I WENT THROUGH TO GET YOU! NOW BEHAVE!
Oh...now that was just awesome. Thank you. As an IVF newbie I think you've just clarified things for me better than the entire 98 page 'patient's guide' that was given to me by the clinic.
You really are a scientist at heart aren't you? For the record, I took many of the exact same drugs with the biggest exception being Gonal F - I took follistim instead. And I took the dexamethosone for almost 20 weeks before weaning. I hope we continue to have many things in common. A thousand {{hugs}} for you, Honey and good luck with all those hormones rushing through your body... or perhaps I should wish M luck w that part?
Before I really comment- I want to make sure to tell you - next time you get your prenatals prescribed, ask for the enteric coated ones (Duet DHA EC). They are so much easier on your belly!!! Oh, and in case you got the nasty fish burps, (like I did - I'd be like ewwww...when did I eat salmon?), they will stop with the new pills. I hate the regular Duet DHA's.
So, you have to do an IM saizen shot? I wonder what the difference is? They told me to do them subQ but they also sent me the IM needles, so I am confused...Anyway, I'll be checking in to see how the saizen shots go and how you feel (you are my test subject, lol) and I will be checking in to follow your cycle! By the way, I just heard from someone that the saizen made their embryos go from ho-hum to superstars! So, Good luck! All those meds and shots will be so worth it!
Man you are super organized!
Of course I am going to be following your cycle, and I'm super particularly interested in the addition of Saizen. I've received mixed messages--from being told it improves response only to seeing some women say it improves quality as well. I need help majorly on quality, and *just in case* we cycle again...
At any rate, let the games begin!
I haven't got to the IVF stage yet, so it's all foreign to me. Thanks for enlightening me!
I never did this photo op for #1 & #2, but I will definitely do this for this go round because the amount of drugs I am on has doubled and it is quite impressive!!! Since they're giving me the protocol of a low responder due to the fact that I've been supersupressed on lupron for 3 months, I will be on pretty much the same protocol you are (except the saizen). So no lovenox this time, or have you not got to that part yet?
I have really good feeling for you this cycle, so many changes and the new clinic will make all the differece - all this hard work just HAS to pay off!
Nice run down and what you don't know is that that song is often stuck in my head anyway, along with the Lady Bug Picnic. I am a child of the 70's and I miss Letterman. (I know, different show.)
Just IVF, huh? That just goes to show how little people really know about not only the medical aspect of it but the mental aspect as well. There is nothing 'just' about deciding to go forward with it or actually surviving a cycle without having run someone down in a lupron haze.
I'll be keeping a positive thought for you guys. I hope this cycle works. Good luck!
oh my goodness girlfriend...
thanks for keeping us updated! as erika said, you deserve a whole oodlees of kids!
hang in there sweetie...you are doing an amazing job! dont let anyone EVER tell you different! i admire you...you give me courage...you inspire me!
We have VERY similar cycles. You are about a week and a couple days ahead of me. I start Lupron on Friday.
I love this post-for record keeping reasons! Your orginization is impressive!
I hope that you will be able to look back at this post and say, "it was worth it."
Much love and luck for this cycle. I hope this is it for you.
This post is great on so many levels! 1) I too admire the organization required to catalog all of that, with the number coding and everything! I never did this with my first IVF cycle and was often half-confused about what I was taking when, and why. Very smart to lay it all out and catalog it like you did. 2) I also get a really good feeling that this cycle is going to work for you--how cool will it be to look back on all of the magic pills and injects and patches and say you did it for a great reason?! 3) This really is an informative post to share with those who've never experienced "just IVF" and have no clue what's involved. Which is A LOT, in terms of both the monetary and the emotional and physical investments. I'm sending you all the good vibes I possibly can!!!
I loved this post. I am an info kinda gal ... even though I know what most stuff is and what it does, I **still** enjoyed what you had to say about it.
Ok, just so you know, about the Dex - definite insomnia for me, as well, you have to be VERY careful to avoid getting sick - it does lessen your immune system and after a month on .75mg, I finally got sick ... just be sure to wash your hands a lot and keep them away from your face. Evidentially if you get sick on Dex it's dangerous b/c you could get REALLY sick and not know it - the drug masks symptoms!!
Anyhow, I'm excited and scared all at the same time with you. I haven't shared this on my blog yet, but I'm queued up for a late Feb/early March CCRM cycle and I can hardly sleep - mostly due to fear. (Sadly, we'll miss each other this time.) How in the world are you getting by? You must have nerves of steel.
Definitely OCD. Dusty decrepit ovaries? Not, especially since you are only taking 150iu of Menopur. I think I win the prize there at everything you took plus another 150iu Menopur, and I still had stellar embryos. Don't write your ovaries off yet, especially with that Saizen. I had to buy two vials, so you can figure what that set me back at! I used 1" 25 gauge needles to inject it IM. Went in like buttah!
Your descriptions make me laugh. Lupron is evil incarnate. I just did the micro-dose stuff. Can't wait to see what the full dose stuff does to me. Yeah, I'm already breaking down in tears also over my FET. You're in good company!
Oh wow, B!!! I read this word for word and then I flipped out my calculator and actually started punching the numbers and holy shit!, that's a lot of money!
I really really am pulling in this cycle for you and am praying that it works for you and M!!
HUGS!
Holy Mary Mother of GOD! I have done IVF 3 times myself and never thought of it quite like this. Are you trying to scare us? ;)
This must have been a lot of work. So much more than just the obligatory pic of meds post. Thanks for this.
GL!!!!!
Oh my! What a great post! I enjoyed reading all of your details - even after 1 ivf, there is still so much to learn! So thanks for being OCD! ;-)
Good luck!
Hey Brenda - I'm glad you posted this, too. I love how you went through and described how all the meds are used. There were a couple of new ones in there that I didn't recognize. I completely understand wanting it all documented. That's how I've been with everything, too. I don't want to forget how much we've been through to reach our goal.
You are so right about Lupron being the devil's drug!!! I hated taking that - it made me feel so bad.
You are right -- there is nothing "just" about an IVF cycle. Someone recently asked me if I had considered doing a cycle with a surrogate; she thought it must be so much easier. I launched into a whole discussion about what's involved with that (and I'm sure I left things out, too.) She had no idea. I think until you're right there in the middle of it, people don't know what you're going through.
I'm excited for you, B. I'm really really excited for you. I hope you have minimal side effects from all the meds and that your emotionals are too roller-coaster-ish. I know (not going to happen!) -- but I still wish it for you. Lots of luck to you and M. HUGE HUGS!!!
Brenda! Thank you for doing this...your encyclopedia-like knowledge is scarily comforting. It makes it both more and less daunting at the same time as I plan to embark on my own IVF journey soon.
Am hoping for you! You are so strong, brave and have a great sense of humour. Good luck...am rooting for you!
ps - I sing that Sesame pinball song a lot randomly (don't ask me why)...my hubby makes fun of me. I hadn't heard the "original" in quite a while, so thanks for the laugh.
Thanks for taking the time to write all this up...if we ever cycle again or if I here the "just IVF" crap, I will just put a link to your post :-).
The Dex caused me to have extreme insomnia as well...which was such a strange feeling for me as I am such a sleeper.
I look forward to reading more!
I think it's a great idea to document your journey in detail. It gives you something to go back and look at and it helps others who are just beginning.
Best of luck to you on this cycle! I'm also a saizen groupie. I think all of us girls are holding out hope that it could be our miracle drug.
I can't wait to see your BFP! Hugs!
This is a fantastic post! I love the breakdown. It is one of the best "welcome to your IVF meds" post I have ever seen. I plan on sending people here the next time someone says "why not do another cycle."
Hey B,
Excellent job on the inventory here! I am impressed but not surprised! I hope you don't mind but I'm sending a few friends and family a link to this post. ;)
Me
Wow, you really are organized! I am still afraid to even add up everything I have spent on this cycle.
I am so hoping this is the one - something in that pile has got to be the magic ingredient!
I just had to come back and read some of this to my husband...
So very good...
Here's to a good cycle...
My thoughts are with you! Very organized and very informative - thanks!
You totally understand this stuff more than me! I am doing Lupron and Gonal F. No supressants for me...Good luck, Cycle Sista! Many hugs and prayers your way!
This is incredible and I learned a lot! Our protocols are pretty similar too, so the info definitely resonates with me.
No Lov.enox this cycle? I bet you won't miss the belly bruises! ;-)
Oh Brenda! I love your posts. Especially the detailed anal-ness of this one :) We seem to think alike, but you are such a better writer and communicator. I loved the running tally too. Finances are such a big part of this journey. "Just do IVF" Ha! I was exhausted just reading it.
I am rooting for you. I want this cycle to be the one for you. You deserve it.
Holy crap! I abondon the blogs for several weeks, and you go and start stims on me! :P
Yay!
I love the hard facts about your meds. That damn GonalF is what is always so exspensive for me. You should see me and the husband trying to get every last damn drop out of the vials!
Best, best, bestest of luck.
OMG! You must be a project manager for a living. But having OCD myself and being a major control freak (I guess they're one and the same), I totally understand.
Whatever helps get you through this, do it!
But don't get used to this 'cause it's your last cycle. You WILL get a BFP this time. I have such faith in CCRM, truly.
OMG, wow, but I can say I am NOT surprised with this more-than-fabulous-thorough-definitely OCD-brilliant-organized-cataloged-informational teaching you just smacked on us Brenda!!!!
This is a MUST bookmark, publisize and screams give me a spot on The Stirrup Queen's Completely Anal List of Blogs That Proves That She Really Missed Her Calling as a Personal Organizer as its own url!
We are all with you this cycle girl, thinking of you! xoxoxoxox
I hope you have a safe flight today ... thinking of you. When is your scan? Will you update us?
I am praying for you Brenda ... I so hope this works. Man, I hope this works.
just a fellow if blogger who stumbled across your blog...wishing you luck this cycle seeing all the meds like that is so overhwelming!
Am thinking of you today.
hugs
Hey, I'm back again just to check your tickers! Thinking of you. xxC
You can do it! The picture is so daunting, but really the time goes by so quickly and soon those stores are completely depleted. I'm hoping you have to order lots more of Endometrin, Vivelle patches, and Stuart Duet DHA. :-)
Just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and your follies today.
I don't 'know' you but follow your blog through Niki's. You are a strong woman - I really want this cycle to work and for you to have your little one that you so richly (literally) deserve.
I've never known what all goes through this and never saw the tally up of the costs associated with the meds. The costs are astronomical and you are right when you say that anyone that 'just' says IVF is insane.
The very best to you this go around - I'll be cheering you on.
Hei Brenda...
Been praying daily for you, just trusting and keeping the faith that all is going well.
In a way I'm actually happy you haven't posted--yes, I'm a bit anxious for you --I can therefore only imagine your range of emotions at this time. *Huge Hug*
Continuously wishing, hoping, and praying for only the best.
Thinking of you,
Anna
Update your blog! You know I only check it like twice/day!!!! ;-) LOL. Hope you are doing well...thinking about you and praying for you...
Love,
Erika
I am such a giant...at a whopping 62 inches!
Post a Comment