About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Friday and Saturday Fun

Friday started off with that BFN peestick and went downhill from there. I got to my office at around 6:30AM and spent the first couple hours just letting myself cry on and off as I tried to get some work done. I have either become so good at crying at my desk with both officemates in the room that they either 1) don't notice or 2) are so used to it that they just leave me be. Either way I don't care. I could not have pulled myself together yesterday if someone held a gun to my head. Bloodshot, puffy eyes are sexy, right? Here are some of the highlights of my day:

1. One of my mangers stopped by to go over some results I had sent him. He knows that I was gone for an IVF cycle, but I don't think he really gets it as he is constantly teasing my pregnant officemate, S about her growing belly. Of course he does it in total nerd terms. We are engineers after all. So, as he was leaving our office he turns to S and says, "Hey S, what's dm/dt?". I turned to my computer to try to ignore the whole thing. She didn't get it and said, "You should ask Brenda what it means. She's smart and knows these kind of things. I'm just hoping I can absorb some of her knowledge by sitting next to her." I still say nothing (and she is just blowing smoke up my ass anyway). He just told her to think about it and left. dm/dt is the change in mass over time as in her expanding belly. I am still not sure she got it.
2. Over lunch one of our other co-workers stopped by while S was out and said to me that he thinks S just did this (got pregnant) so he can support her kid's school activities like she has supported his for the last 6 years. I said, "Yeah?" and turned to my filing cabinet. He continued to talk about it and I said I'm sure she will be back soon and turned away. He left, but I was lucky enough to hear them in the hallway a couple hours later hashing out their funny little joke. Ha fucking Ha.
3. In the afternoon, we had our bi-monthly group meeting. I can feel myself tearing up on and off throughout the whole thing. Our supervisor likes to "go around the room" and have everyone talk about what they are working on. He turns to S first and says, "S, do you have anything you want to announce?". Seriously, can we just let this all go today?!? She is 20wks pregnant and wearing maternity clothes. I'm pretty sure everyone knows.
4. In the afternoon, one of the secretaries stopped by just to see how S is feeling and is she getting excited and blah, fucking blow my brains out now, blah.
5. When I was coming back from another afternoon meeting, I ran into one of my co-workers, B who just turned 30 and has no intentions of having kids - has never wanted them. She asked if everything was okay and said I looked tired and down today. I just lost it right there in the hallway - big sobs and never-ending tears. She said, "Come on, let's go for a walk." We went outside and I told her we had another failed cycle and I am just having trouble pulling it together today. She just gave me hug and told me how sorry she was and that she wished there was something she could do. She said she didn't know what to say and didn't want to say the wrong thing and upset me more. We talked for a bit and I told her that we didn't tell anyone we were doing another IVF, not even my best friend who is also pregnant. She asked how I was doing dealing with S and I said, "Not well." She told me that S has been really worried about me and how I am doing. Ummmm, we sit in the same fucking office 5 days a week. She could just ask me maybe. Then B told me that it isn't "out" yet, but that her officemate is pregnant too. She just didn't want me to find out like I did with S. Great, so there are like 6 women in our area and 2 are now pregnant and a 3rd (my other officemate) has been trying for a couple months.
6. I went to see my therapist after work for our weekly appointment. I didn't want to be there as I'm not sure she knows how to help me cope with things. I feel I just go in, cry and get it all out, and then leave with no real input or help from her. I told her I want to quit TTC (more on this another day) and I also want to quit therapy. It wasn't pretty. I'm not proud. I agreed to go back for one more session for "closure" - whatever that is.
Whatever happened to Fridays being the "happy end-of-the-work-week days?
Saturday started off with my weekday 5AM alarm going off. Gahhhh. I forgot to turn that one off. I stayed in bed until 6 still crying on and off. After getting ready so we can go to the RE's office, I walk into the living-room to find that our golden retriever puked 2 huge piles sometime during the night. A one hundred pound dog can puke alot, but he is so damn cute and innocent-looking that I can't even think about getting upset with him.
With the puke cleaned, we head off to the RE. I love that there is a sign right where you sign in to "please leave your children at home as it can be upsetting to other patients", yet there sits an adorable little girl around 2 years old watching a portable dvd player and saying "Mommy" over and over. After 15 minutes of this torture I was called back for a blood draw. They were so unorganized today and didn't know what I was even there for. I was irritated and emotional and not in the mood. They got it situated and while the phlebotomist was drawing my blood the nurse asked if I had tested at home. I told her "yes.". "Positive?" she whispered with a big smile. "No."
The normal financial people were not there, of course, and the 2 people working had no idea what to charge me for or how much it should be. I told them that the HCG was included in the cycle, but the estradiol and progesterone should be $140. They insisted it was included in the cycle, but I know this is not the case from IVF#1. Getting a bill that you aren't expecting for some results that made for one of the worst days of your life will make you not forget what is covered and what is not. I made them charge my card for $140 because I don't want to get that fucking bill again.
M and I left and only got about halfway home when they called to tell me that they still had my card. I mean gas is so cheap now, you know, so why not? We went back to get it and then finally made it home.
So I was waiting for the "I'm sorry" call and finally called them around 1:45PM to see what was up. The answering service told me that everyone had already left for the day and that she could take a message and have them call me tomorrow.
ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!? No, I didn't say this to her, but OMFG. I am beyond livid. I think the cure for my sadness and crying has been fixed with anger and swearing. I don't even know what to say. I am in disbelief that they could forget this. I had been delaying changing my estrogen patches and didn't even do a progesterone suppository this morning, but now I get to prolong this hellish cycle for one more day. I know I could just stop it all, but I feel I have to "really know" for sure, ya know?
I have already shot off an email to Dr. K expressing my frustration. I somehow managed to leave out the f-bombs. I guess I'm saving those for the nurse who fucked up today.
At least I get to use my final Lovenox injection. One final bruise for closure.

23 comments:

Polly Gamwich said...

I'm sorry Brenda.

It's not like you're dealing with enough like you need an insensitive incompetent nurse too. I'm sorry they didn't call today.

I'm sorry this is all so tough.

Miah said...

I'm sorry they didn't call you today. It is just so unempathetic and incompetent not to call for something like that.

(((hugs)))

Suzanne said...

OMG - what's their number? I'm calling them and I don't mind using the F-word!!!!

Wendy said...

Oh Brenda. My heart just hurts for you. You've been through so much this past week and then today, too. I can't believe that they didn't call you. Is there a nurse on call that you could call? (Someone besides the stupid answering service?) I'm so sorry they did that to you. I read what you wrote in my blog; I wish we lived closer, too. I wish there was something I could do that could help.

Alison said...

Ugh, this drs. office makes me so sad and so mad for you! And I'm so sorry your friday at work was so shitty :( Please take care of yourself *hugs*

bb said...

I am so sorry that you are experiencing any of this. I wish that I could snap my fingers and make getting to parenthood fair somehow. It's not fair and it sucks.

I started reading your blog months and months ago - obviously before I was pg. I know from first hand experience how hard it was for me to keep up w someone who had what I wanted so badly. I want very much to continue to offer my support with everything that comes next for you, but I understand how hard it may be for you. Say the word and I'll refrain from posting comments on your blog. But please know that I WILL continue reading and sending all my best vibes your way.

{{Big HUGS}}

kaaron said...

I am so very very sorry Brenda. Your office was very, very unprofessional and uncaring. Am so very sorry you had such a horrible day at work to top it all off.

Lost in Space said...

Thanks so much for reading all my babble and giving such great support. I really do appreciate you all being here.

bb and mtb~Please don't go anywhere. It would hurt so much more to lose your support. One of the hardest things after IVF#1 was feeling abandoned by most of the successes in one of my BGs. We can be at different stages and still support each other. I appreciate all my pregnant friends. (:

bb said...

You got it, Sweetie. I am behind you all the way. Have drink and relax this evening. Remember to turn off the alarm clock tonight and sleep in tomorrow. Best wishes for a better week ahead.

Pepper said...

Damn. It all just sucks, doesn't it?

I think my jaw dropped when I read what your clinic did! Unreal. What kind of schmucks could do such a thing?

So sorry, B.

Hope2morrow said...

Oh girl, I'm just now catching up on my blog reading! AH! I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I want to crawl in bed with you, hold you, and cry with you. I am so here for you, in any way needed!

How thoughtless of your clinic! Things like that frustrate the hell out of me, and I think your anger is completely justified!

Dear, I am sorry! Hey- would you mind emailing me your address? I have something I want to send you!

Flying Monkeys said...

I think they subtract the emotional part of the equation at the clinic sometimes. I was always amazed by the number of nurses who had gone through treatments at our clinic but were still so cold and lacking in empathy department. Seriously? I thought they'd 'get it'.

I'm sorry.

Just Me. said...

Oh shit, Brenda! Fuck S, your annoying colleagues and the nurse!!!!

I know it's hard and I wish i could make it better. i have been thinking of you since yesterday. I just woke up and again, first thing i am, is on the computer and click your blog!!!

I am sending you huge huge huge huge huge huge hugs with some cyber cookie dough ice-cream on the side, if you feel like eating some!!!! ice-cream always helps me cope a bit better with this shit!

(((((hugs)))))))))))

Karen said...

WTF! Are you kidding me about your clinic?! Whoever forgot to call you needs her ass chewed out big time! I'm so sorry that happened to you. I hope they call early (but no too early so you can sleep late) tomorrow so you can know one way or the other. I totally understand about continuing the meds. I remember continuing my progesterone suppositories even though I had full-blown AF. Yuck!

As for S, if she's so worried about you then she should talk to you. She should be worried. . . you're hurting. How about offering some comfort. Jeez!

Just Me. said...

Hi there, if and when you have the time, can you check your email please? i have something for you..no stir-fry receipes, tho. :)

((((((((hugs)))))))

Wishing 4 One said...

OMG girl. What a f'ed-up clinic, and office mate and few days. I so wish it didn't all happen like that for you. Please know that you are so in my thoughts and wish i could say or do something to make you feel better. Just know that I am here in HOT ASS Cairo thinking of you and wishing things get back to normal soon. You can SO join me in eating wings and fake celery, i wish you could come over so we could eat lots of junk together. Sending you tons of hugs....xoxoxoxox

TTCinDC said...

I am so sorry. I wish I could pound on the clinic doors on your behalf. We'll all be thinking of you.

Phoebe said...

So totally not fair. I'm sorry for all the crap you've had to put up with. I can't believe how your clinic screwed up. Hugs to you!

Jen said...

How the hell do they not remember to call you with your beta? Assholes.

I'm really sorry for everything you are going through right now. I wish there was something I could do to make it easier or better.

((hugs))

peesticksandstones said...

Oh my god... you poor thing. I would've crumbled into a slobbering heap dealing with just 1/10th of what you've been through these past couple days.

That's interesting that your clinic has a sign about kids -- I've often wished mine did, but apparently anyone evil and thoughtless enough to bring their kids in wouldn't pay any attention anyway. So sorry you had to deal with that -- the same thing nearly put me way over the edge last cycle.

You should give yourself a lot of credit for getting through work, though. That on its own is soooo difficult sometimes. There are ladies in my Resolve group who've quit working just to do IF treatment full-time, and I admit I envy them. Though honestly, when I can really lose myself in my work and tune out the parent-talk and such, I am grateful for the distraction from 24-hr infertility thoughts.

Hang in there lady!

Me said...

The idea of sharing a small work space with a pregnant woman all day, 5 days a week makes me CRINGE! That is just freaking unfair!

I'm really sorry this cycle didn't end differently for you. I don't know what to say mostly because I'm not sure words can do anything. This is something that's gonna take time to get over. I am sorry you're hurting so much though. And it IS phantasmagorically unfair.

JW Moxie said...

I'm so sorry that you've had to go through such a shitty time lately. It's bad enough that you got the negative test, but the beta and the ignorant co-workers are just salt in an open, gaping wound. I'm thinking of you.

Adrianne said...

Brenda-
I am so incredibly sorry. I don't even know what else to say, it is so totally unfair & just plain f*cking sucks. Sending you many ((hugs)) & warm thoughts.