Sunday:
- Ummm, Mother's Day and that ever so lovely temperature drop.
- I put my "Big girl" panties on and went to visit our 86-year-old neighbor who is selling her house to move in with her son and his family. When I left, another neighbor (mommy to a 2-year-old) yells, "Happy Mother's Day, Brenda." Hmmm, ummm, I guess she said my name. "Not, me......Happy Mother's Day to you." OMG, why won't this garage door open so I can escape?!? "Well, you're a mom to your dogs." Ahhhhhhhh, yes, of course, my dogs. How could I forget. I promptly went inside and removed said "Big girl" panties to hide in the house the rest of the day. Of course, she was heading to a big Mother's Day luncheon.
- Wake up to the mother-load of all cramps complete with nausea and vomiting. Clincher is the witch hadn't even arrived yet. I sent out my obligatory, "Not going to be at work today" email and retreated back to bed with my cold pack and spent the morning rocking back and forth on my knees. I'm not sure the rocking helps, but it fit with the whole lotta crazy I was feeling so I went with it.
- Pried myself out of bed around noon. Finally spotting. Shower and get ready so I could drive 1 1/2 hours to my masters college to speak to the junior and senior engin.eering tykes about what it's like to work in real world engine.ering. Apologies to anyone local driving on the southbound 5 who had to watch me puke in a plastic bag.
- Talked to my graduate advisor for about 5 minutes which completely solidified my reasoning for not staying with him to get my Ph.D. I have not seen the guy since I left in 2001 and it only took all of 30 seconds before I was cringing at his voice all over again.
- Gave my talk. (I am glad I went because the other 5 speakers were all male and I always hated that as a student). There was a pasta dinner for the students so they could ask us more questions. While waiting in line, I asked a couple "kids" what year they were and the little punk said he was just a sophomore and only went to this thing for the extra credit. Refrained from puking on his shoes. I did have lots of great questions from the upper class-men so I think it was still worth it.
- Still feeling pretty yucky, but went into work anyway. Was told by several people that I looked like shit and should go home. I'm never sure what to say when they ask if I have the flu. Trust me, buddy, there is no way you are going to catch what I have.
- M. and I got stuck in traffic due to a brush fire on the side of the road. I got home just in time to leave again to battle some more traffic to go to acupuncture.
- Dr. acupuncture seemed grumpy and irritated that I was having such a bad period. I think he took it personally when I said it was the worst one I had had in awhile. "Is acupuncture the only thing that is different?" he asked. I just wasn't in the mood to deal with him and started crying as soon as he left the room. Note to self: needles in wrists and head do not make for a good time to cry.
- My dreaded dentist appointment was today. Yup, my favorite question was asked once again. "Are you currently pregnant or trying to get pregnant?" Stupid dental assistant whore. Okay, not really, but I'm hormonal and this is my blog, dammit.
perky dental assistant: "So you're trying to get pregnant. Will this be your first one?"
me: "Yes."
perky: "Oh, that is so exciting! How long have you been trying?"
me: "Ummm, almost 3 years." Seriously, who asks this!?! And better yet, why did I answer!?!
perky: "I have a friend (well of course she does - all the fertiles do) who got pregnant really easy with her first and is now having trouble trying for #2."
me: "Oh." I'm guessing it's been a whole 8 months or something.
perky: "Have you tried infertility?"
me: "Yeah." Tried it plenty and am kind of stuck with it. I guess she means IVF, but rather than engage, I just answer.
perky: "I've always wondered what that is like. Do you really have to give yourself shots of hormones?"
me: No they're licked on by kittens. Okay, so these are only my thoughts.
perky: "I mean, how do you do that to yourself?"
me: "I guess you do what you have to."
perky: "Good luck to you. I know it will all work out."
me: Stupid fertile whore. Okay, only thoughts again.
- Now, just for added bonus, my new dentist is even perkier than the assistant, but treats me like I am 4 and terrified of her. And after today I might be. Seriously, I think these people were huffing on the nitrous oxide pretty heavy today.
Dr. Perky: "Oh, so you're trying to get pregnant. That is so exciting. Here is my best advice to you. Get all of the x-rays and stuff done now and make sure to come in for cleanings more often when you are pregnant because bacteria can lead to low birth weight. It is also so hard after the baby is born and you make an appointment for 10 because the baby always sleeps at 10 and then the day of the appointment the baby doesn't sleep at 10 and............."
Me: Just doe-eyed and confused because dental cleanings after our baby is born is such reality and a top priority for me right now. I was actually grateful that she wouldn't shut up long enough for me to respond.
- And to top it all off, I have 2 cavities. Apparently brushing and flossing just isn't cutting it. Stupid eating disorder and my messed up teeth. Now I go back next Wednesday for my cleaning and 2 fillings. I plan to go with ipod in hand.
8 comments:
Making it past hump, whatever day that happens to be is always a good thing!
And Yikes! Sorry you felt soooo crappy earlier this week. I hope you are feeling much better these days.
As for the unsolicited advice from the dentist and your hygienist, maybe that was just the piece that was missing? Everyone else always knows best for you, right? (Kidding)
Sorry you had such a rough week. The last time I saw my hygienist she was pregnant where I should have been. Pissed me off like she stole my baby. That sounds like a bad period. I really hope you are feeling better.
Between your period and your dentist appointment, you had such a rough week. I'm sorry. ((hugs))
"Have you tried Infertility??"
Dumbass. Um...have you tried SMART? Guess not.
What a craptastic week you're having...I hope it's better at this point. (Am behind. My most sincere apologies.)
I have my own thoughts too when these fertile women start asking HAVE YOU DONE THIS? HAVE YOU DONE THAT? BLAH BLAH BLAH..and most of the time, my own personal thoughts are SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!
I'm sorry you had such a bad week and big hugs coming your way...
((hugs)) I hope the rest of your week WAS better! Somehow it seems like everything always has to go wrong at once.
Your dentist trip is nearly identical to the once I had back in August 2007. They're F-ing stupid. Ugh!
E
Ugh, what a pisser of an appointment. I felt myself go bug eyed when I read that she asked if you had tried infertility. Seriously? There are no words.
Hope things are looking up this week ((hugs))!
Post a Comment