About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Thursday, May 8, 2008

I've been tagged!

I've been tagged by Karen so I guess I have some questions to answer. Please stop by to give Karen some love as she just had a negative beta from her fourth IVF. Huge, huge hugs to you, hun.
4 Things I Did 10 Years Ago (1998)
  1. I finished my B.S. in Engine.ering Phys.ics in May and decided to take a year off to figure out what the hell I wanted to do. I continued teaching Phy.sics labs at the university and went back to work selling shoes at Sea.rs. My family thought I had lost my mind, but I wasn't sure Engin.eering was for me and wasn't really ready to get a grown-up job.
  2. M. and I celebrated our 1 year dating anniversary. Neither of us knew the exact date so we had to make one up. I am so not a girly-girl with this crap. We had also been living in sin for nearly a year. No need to do the math. When it works, it works.
  3. I found out that my brother and SIL were expecting their first baby. My nephew, Blake, was born the following May.
  4. We rescued Molly the Wonder Dog from the Humane Society for a companion to our 1 year old golden retriever, Jordan. A litter of 7 German Shorthaired Pointers had been dumped. We had taken M.'s grandma to find a new dog after hers died, but ended up with a second one of our own. She is the most neurotic and entertaining dog I have ever owned. "Wonder Dog" is in reference to "wonder why we kept her".

4 Things I Did 5 Years Ago (2003)
  1. M. and I bought our first house in April after getting married in October '02. We chose the location 30 miles from where we both work because of the family friendly community and great schools. That shit is totally biting us in the ass now.
  2. I spent a few months of the year working several ther.mal vac.uum tests for an Ea.rth orbit.ing satel.lite. What this meant was that because I was the young 'un of the group I got to spend 30 days at a time working the night shift staring at temperature plots on a computer screen, trying to stay awake, and praying I didn't screw anything up. Seriously, a billion dollar instrument and they let the "fresh out" who had no clue what she was doing call the shots. I was beyond terrified.
  3. Another project I was on at work sent me to England to learn how to pilot a 30-foot long, 8-foot diameter RC blimp. The company that made it was really a one-man show and he had a shop buried deep in the English country side. It was the best job perk I have had to date. M. went with me and we made a boondoggle to Paris and Normandy and also spent a couple days in London.
  4. M. and I attempted our first tiling job using 18" x 18" travertine in our dining room. They came 5 to a box and were so heavy that I couldn't even slide the boxes to move them. We couldn't get the thin-set to dry and the damn floor took us over 8 months to complete. To get to our living room, we had to walk outside and go around to another entrance. Funny now - then, not so much. We decided that all the money we saved "doing it ourselves" would end up being spent on marriage counseling. LOL.
4 Things I Did Yesterday
  1. Ran errands to get cash & gift cards and to exchange a shirt for my brother. Then got Mother's Day, b-day, 1st Communion, and graduation gifts ready to mail and dropped them at the post office.
  2. Reluctantly agreed to speak at engine.ering career night this coming Monday at the university I finished my M.S. at. They want me to talk to juniors and seniors about what to do to prepare for the working world and the best way to transition. I did it all wrong, but I guess they don't have to know that.
  3. Went to work, sat in some meetings, troubleshot some models, and put together some slides.
  4. Had the start of a mini-meltdown in line at the grocery store getting those damn gift cards as I listened to 3 mommys in line oooh and ahh over a baby and then 2 of them continued talking about how many they have and mother's day plans. I started to go to a different register, but the manager had blocked me in to be the last customer for this checker. Full meltdown ensued when I got to my truck.

4 Shows I Love to Watch
  1. Grey's Anatomy
  2. House Hunters
  3. Desperate Housewives
  4. Intervention

4 Things That Make Me Happy
  1. After 11 years together, M. can still make me laugh even when I don't want to.
  2. My furbabies with their unconditional love. A dopey golden and a crazy pointer are my daily bright-spots.
  3. Excel. Yes, I admit I have issues, but my entire life is summarized in a series of Excel files. I have an unhealthy obsession, but it makes me so happy.
  4. Rubbermaid bins and my label-maker. Total natural high for me to organize basically anything.

Now I have to tag 4 people so I am picking kittyquilt, Miah, Cindy, and Wendy. Of course only if you ladies are interested. No offense taken if you blow it off.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for tagging me- I needed the distraction from clomid side effects!
I'm sorry about your meltdown. :( No fun.
((hugs))

Still Standing Strong in A Bloom of Hope. said...

Hi there. Been reading your blog lately and found it insipiring. Don't know how this works but I tagged you recently.. :)

Miah said...

Thanks for tagging me too. I love the show intervention. Also you don't have to do the math with me and Ken either. Your right when it works it works.

Karen said...

Holy crap! You are scarily smart. Just the idea of doing any of that stuff you mentioned as part of your job would send this English/Psychology major running screaming in the other direction.

I love how you describe Molly the Wonder Dog. I have a dog like that, too. I still wonder why we kept her, but I'm glad we did.

Pregnant women around Mother's Day is just too much to handle. I would have broken down too. ((Hugs))

Wendy said...

Ha ha - I was just thinking I wonder how this whole tagging thing works and then I read that you tagged me. :)