Can't see it? Here is a close up. Yes, you will still have to zoom in closer to really see it because a slight buffing (and a new license plate) are all it really needs externally.
The real damage is here.
Yes, those beloved airbags are apparently so expensive to put back in that it is cheaper for the insurance company to salvage our vehicle. Granted, we don't drive expensive vehicles, but this still really sucks. So our options are to let them tow it off and accept their few thousand dollar check or to keep it and accept a salvaged title.
Needless to say, I am pissed. We can't buy another vehicle for a few grand and with IVF#2 scheduled for May we don't really have excess funds to add to buying another one. There is nothing else wrong with this vehicle. I don't know what we are going to do right now. Meds for our cycle are being delivered today to the tune of ~$4800. We got a call from our credit card company last night to alert us to the large charge.
Shit. Shit. Shit.
At least my chin is fairing well with neosporin and should be healed up in a couple days.
Ironically, we had been saving money to replace our other (even crappier) vehicle that I bought used 10 years ago when I was still in college. It has no back seat so we wanted to get something more baby-friendly. With no baby to put in any vehicle, we spent this money on IVF#1. Still no baby and now neither of our vehicles are baby friendly and all the money is gone. Laughing so I don't cry.
So anyone want to buy a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport Trac with a salvaged title, deployed airbags, and 127,000 miles? LOL.
8 comments:
OMG, that is so wrong! I hate insurance companies. I'm sorry it's turned out like this. (((HUGS)))
What a huge bummer!
DH and I are in a similar boat in that we only have 1 car (and have had 1 car for two years) b/c we are waiting to buy a "family" car ... well needless to say it's been a long wait.
Our 1 car is a '98 Honda Civic ... if we got into an accident it would surely be considered salvaged.
I'm sorry you're in this position. But at least your chin does look to be healing well.
ARGH to the insurance companies!!!
Ack that is so ridiculous about the insurance company! So if they cut you a check it wouldn't be an amount that would cover a new car? How much would it cost to fix the airbags? How infuriating! I'm so sorry.
I'm glad that your chin is healing well -- at least there is a silver lining somewhere in this story. ::hugs::
Karen~Thanks for sharing in my frustration.
Polly~Thanks for the pep talk. I know we can get by with 1 vehicle. We carpool anyway so we will be fine without a second too. (:
A~I don't know all the details yet, but I guess the amount to fix it is very close to the amount to salvage it so it is completely their call. The salvaged check wouldn't be enough to cover a new car. M. dealt with it all and made me stay inside because he didn't want the guy making anything out of my chin. LOL.
Brenda that is awful. I had heard that about airbags though. It is hard for me to imagine it would be more then the truck. What a shame. I love my Explorer so I feel for you.
If you go around to the local mechanic's shops - especially ones that do collision work - I bet someone who can do the work themselves would be interested in buying it for the right price!
Look at it this way...with no baby-friendly vehicle and no money for a new one, you are sure to get pregnant this next cycle.
Yup, those air bags are enough to total a vehicle. So frustrating! But the good news is you both are o.k. I wish you could get a check from the insurance company and go car shopping... although it's never as fun under these circumstances. Same thing happened to me in February. Sorry you're dealing with this too!
Post a Comment