About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Infertility odds and ends

The last couple days have been busy on the infertility front so this post will probably be pretty boring. LOL. On Friday I started therapy and received my IVF#2 protocol. Today, I started acupuncture. Here is my take on it all so far:

I am not sure what to think of therapy yet. The therapist seems fine, but the location is less than desirable. She is only in the city I live on Fridays (that part is okay), but seems to be squatting in a perinatologist's office. I didn't realize this until I was filling out some forms in the waiting room and had to listen to 2 nurses discussing u/s results, AMA, their own pregnancy difficulties, etc. I started looking around to try to figure it out and saw a small "doctor holding a baby" statue. When I left, I went back to the front door to see what docs were listed for the office (which is where I learned about the peri). My appointments will always be in the late afternoon so I am hoping there are no issues.

I spent 8 months in therapy for an eating disorder and knew the goal of it was to kick my habit and learn how to cope with life without my unhealthy obsession with food and weight. This therapy feels different already. What I want out of it she can't give me. I want a baby. I am not exactly interested in learning how to cope living infertile in a fertile world, but that is all she can help me with. I started bawling basically as soon as I started talking so I know I need to be there. I did feel better afterward just letting it out so hopefully that part will at least continue. M. wants me to go by myself for the first few sessions as he doesn't want me holding back to spare his feelings until I am comfortable with the process. I am glad we are working it this way for now, but will be glad to have him there in the future.

I received a call from my RE's nurse with a proposed protocol for IVF#2. He wants to try a Long Lupron protocol vs. Antagonist (that we used for IVF#1). He also added a blood thinner and a steroid to ward off any autoimmune concerns. I am not sure what to think at this point as Long Lupron is not a typical protocol for high FSHers because it can over-suppress your ovaries and get your cycle cancelled due to too few follicles. Most high FSHers are also poor responders to stimulation injections meaning that even on high dosages of FSH not many eggs are produced. I fall into a bit different category in that I have the elevated FSH, but I do respond to a high dose of meds. I have lots of questions for my RE before going down this path. Also, I would love to hear any experiences with this protocol. What dosage of Lupron did you use, what was your FSH, are you a poor responder, and were you overstimulated?
And last, but not least is acupuncture. I am neutral on it after my first encounter. I was able to relax a bit, but most any dark room with meditation-like music playing could probably cause me to do this. The needles were fine and I will continue going for awhile to give it a full chance to kick my body into relaxing and making babies. LOL.
As a final sign off for appreciating the little things in life..... I got a Christmas card in the mail yesterday from my friend, Suzie. She sent me one before Christmas too which also included pictures from her high school graduation in 1994. I smile with every card/letter I get from her no matter how awkward or out of date they may seem. She has been a special friend of mine since birth. Yup, we met in the hospital the day we were born as we were the only 2 babies in our small hometown hospital that day. Suzie was born with Downs Syndrome, but the bond of our birthday has always kept us close. She has a smile that can light up any room and she has a love for life, animals, and friendship that is beautiful beyond words. I hope everyone is fortunate enough to have a friend like Suzie.

5 comments:

Karen said...

I'm on the long lupron protocol now. I was on it for IVF#1 and got slightly oversuppressed. I ended up with 5 mature eggs by the time I was done. I'm back on long lupron for IVF#4 because I developed lead follies with both the antagonist and microdose lupron protocols. My lupron dose is 10iu per night. My FSH was 9.76 on cd3 and 13 on cd10 of the CCCT. I hope this protocol works better for you than the last. Did your RE explain why he chose long lupron?

I'm a huge fan of acupuncture. It's not just about helping you to relax. It's about making physical changes in your body. It hasn't gotten me pregnant yet, but I've been going for over two months now and I feel better/healthier overall. I've noticed a big difference in my cycles. I say stick with it if you can.

Anonymous said...

I don't know anything about the long lupron- this website is what I've read about the different protocols for high FSH: http://www.haveababy.com/infertility/index_infert.cfm?&city=local&page=poorresponder

I hope it works really well for you! Sending you lots of ((hugs)).

bb said...

Good luck with the new cycle!

Let It Be said...

That's really unfortunate for the IF counselor to be using a perinatologist's office! If it poses a problem can you find someone else? I seem to remember you saying it was hard to find someone in the first place.

I would also be very wary of doing a long lupron protocol with high FSH. Did he give you a reason for this. It sounds like he's just doing a complete 180. Why not microdose lupron if the antagonist didn't work? That would be more of a subtle adjustment and more in line with your situation IMO. Definitely talk to him, and don't go forward if your gut says it's not right for you. I hope you get some good info. from others on this.

Give the acu a chance for sure. It has done a lot for me in many more ways than simply relaxing. :)

Always wishing you the best, hon!!

Lost in Space said...

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. All very helpful. My RE has answered all my questions and I'm feeling better about the protocol. I'll update more in a later post. Hugs to you all.