About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Friday, January 7, 2011

another holiday, another...um...let me try to explain this one

So I was kind of having a rough go of things before the holiday season even started.  We were expecting a family of 4 to visit us for ~6 days around and through Thanksgiving and as much as I love them all was still feeling pretty anxious and conflicted and anticipating those kinds of comments.  The ones that are in no way meant to be spiteful or hurtful toward me, but stick an unsuspecting quiet dagger right through my heart just because of where I am at emotionally.  You all know the kind. 
"Well, mommy and daddy have grey hair because of YOU *giggle giggle* (said to ornery child in playful manner after child points out the parental's obvious grey hairs).  See, Uncle M and Aunt Brenda don't have any grey hair."
No, no we don't.
  and there is always
"When child 2 graduates college, I will be around 50.  Can you believe that?!  And then we can start thinking about retirement." 
Did I mention that I am around 4.5 months OLDER and have yet to even have child 1?!  There is also one of my personal favorites while complaining about a coworker who adopted 6 children through foster care,
"...and her 6 adopted children..." 
because it has such relevance to the alleged work related incompetence of the woman under fire.  And yes, they know all about our status (I heard that's what all the cool infertiles are calling it these days).  Okay, so off my side tangent rant and back to the sometimes-holidays-can-really-suck-in-the-IF-world.   

I don't know why some holidays are worse than others, but this one seemed to be one of those cry-over-everything-didn't-start-my-shopping-until-the 24th-of-December types.  I even succumbed to bringing chocolate chips to work on a near daily basis for a little perk.  No, not cookies, just a bag of chocolate chips*.  Ghiradelli if you must know.  Don't judge.  I was sad, remember?

*Self Control, please, please, please come back to me soon...

Some of you might remember the last holiday I was a blubbering mess at was Mother's Day this past year.  And some of you might remember that we picked up this little guy way back on that fateful Mother's Day (you know, when I was still a real blogger who actually posted more than sporadically - crap, I guess that was more like 2 years ago - hmph - anyway...). 

~3.5 months old
Moose has been a welcome distraction and the best coping skill I have found to date.  He made last year my best Mother's Day to date.  He is still such a Velcro dog (meaning he is happiest when he is right next to (or on top of) one of his people.  On top of has become a bit difficult as he seems to have grown just a little bit since May.

~11.5 months old
He passed not only his 8-week puppy class, but also a follow-up 8 week intermediate class. Not that he needed it or anything, but yeah, he pretty much needed it. I suspect he was graded on a curve or given bonus points for cuteness somewhere along the way because seriously "dear god would you please just leave it, Moose?"


He used to play at a dog park until he became enamored with a white pit bull there. He tried to fancy that poor pit one too many times for my comfort level and I haven't been back since. Did I mention his pit friend is a boy?

I knew I should have rethought his Halloween costume...

We finished off a dog run we were in the process of building paying for during the summer. It was a really great design with a small portion set up as a potty complete with underground drains and pea gravel. It was going so well until we were woken up at 2AM to some blood curdling yelps.

All the rocks are now gone (in both his belly and the dog run) except for the few still rattling around in that big old adorable pea brain.

So I have stalled you all and gotten slightly off the main point of this post as I became lost in showing how my little pony is growing up and suppose I should get back to the whole finding happiness during tough holidays thing.

I want to say that there was a great deal of thought and reason put into what what we did the Friday before Thanksgiving, but I can't.  You already saw her on our holiday card, but here she is in all her naughty glory.


*


*


*


*


*

Meet Moose's little sister Paris. 

I'm blaming the pomegranate margaritas the (dog) breeders fed to us at their party...or that we got Moose wet and he multiplied...or that holiday blues thing - yes, the whole point of this post, right!?...or that Moose really needed a playmate...or that Molly (Remember our almost 13-year-old Molly girl?  Yes, we still have her too.) really needed for Moose to have a playmate so he would leave her the f alone once in awhile.

Love my sweet old grey-faced girl.

Her name is based solely on her personality: 
Spoiled rotten, high maintenance, big attitude, bossy, blonde beauty who finds herself in short stints behind bars no matter how much she bats those pretty little eyes.

At any rate, Paris is here to stay. And not just stay, but she has pretty much taken over...

Moose's toys


and Moose's beds


and Moose's food

and Moose's personal space

I can't decide if Molly's face is saying "Save me!" or "Shoot.  Me.  NOW."

So I guess it had to happen eventually.  We have become a 3 dog house AND I just posted 15 pictures of them on my baby-making-failure blog.  I think this might be the beginning of the end.

We are officially those crazy childless dog people.

I promise not to create facebook profiles for them...at least until Mother's Day rolls around again.


22 comments:

lastchanceivf said...

Adorable adorable adorable pictures! They should be entered into a contest, I am serious.
There is NOTHING wrong with dogbabies, they are the best in the world.
Thinking of you dear.

RB said...

Beautiful doggies! I kind of feel for Molly though. hee hee! We have a black dog who is going grey in the face now and it's the cutest.

Heather said...

Aww...those pups are so adorable! I am *still* trying to talk DH into letting me get a dog. I think if he just knew what he was missing he'd be more agreeable. Hey, maybe I could borrow one yours...

B and D said...

Holy cow she is so stinking cute!!!! Well, all three of them are but she is just sassy :) I love that she has completely taken over! I should send you a picture of my Marley girl (the one we lost last year) rolling her eyes when Jack moved in and totally took over her bed. I remember it vividly! She was so funny... I miss my girl...

Anyway, love hearing from you and appreciate the pictures! I hope and pray that 2011 brings you the good fortune you so deserve!! And less crappy comments to ruin your day :) Hugs to you, B!

Erika said...

hey, my cat had a friendster profile. what are you saying? lol. your three furbabies are beautiful. i am sorry your friends were less than sensitive. i have been there myself with hurtful comments. people just don't get it. (((hugs)))

bb said...

Paris is hot.

Your pictures are awesome. How much are you loving the new camera?

sparklythings said...

wow, paris is my kinda girl!! what a gorgeous girl!!

my puppies have kept me sane all these years, too. we have a million pictures and videos, and clothes (well, their small, they actually can get cold), and toys and stories. at this moment, two dogs are stacked on "dad" and one is plastered as close as she can get to my leg.

what would we do without them.

xoxoxo

Plant Girl said...

Beautiful pups! As much as I curse at them at times, my furboys have kept me sane over the last (almost) 8 years.

I've missed you. But understand that sometimes life just isn't about blogging.

And if it's any consolation, I keep a stash of hershey's kisses in my purse at all times. Perhaps our self controls ran off together. ;)

Lisa said...

Your furbabies are fabulous! The photo with Paris hanging half off the doggy bed made me, "awwww" out loud. :)

I'm going to tell you a secret. I am a cat person, but I secretly covet doggies and truly believe dog people have more *fun* than cat people. I love to watch dog owners on our street and have been known to walk a block outta my way to keep following the cute dogs as they walk and shake their little legs. Scary dog stalker? Yes, maybe so. (Written slightly guiltily as my kitty is literally, at this moment, sitting next to me on couch STARING me down. He knows something's up.)

And I hear you on the holiday "unsuspecting quiet daggers through the heart". I had a few holiday zingers this year, too. (Thus, the infamous bathroom incident.)

Here's to this year and, each year, getting easier and easier.

Your furbaby photos make me smile. Thank you for sharing them. XO

luna said...

OMG she is absolutely gorgeous! those pictures of them together are SO freaking precious. and your sweet old girl seems so tolerant of them. too sweet! I wanna come visit and play. promise not to ask any questions or make any dumbass comments.

I can't wait until we move and can get another dog. we're going on 4 yrs without one and I really really miss having puppy love.

p.s., I'm obviously super sensitive to the whole 'oh look, there's her adopted kid' thing. that is one comment I am sure to nip in the damn bud any chance I get.

asandersbonelli said...

Both are absolutely precious! (And you are quite the photographer, I might add.) I'm so glad you are actively seeking out joy. Pets add so much to life!

'Murgdan' said...

You had me at the Halloween costume. Priceless. LOVE them.

Brenna said...

Those critters of yours have to be the most beautiful animals I've ever seen! Oh my gosh, B, they are so DELISH! I really really really want Moose, Paris and Molly to come over for a play date.

I'm sorry about the holiday suckage. Oh, do I ever remember the tears and the inadvertent comments that hit like daggers. We spent at least one Christmas in Vegas to escape! I highly recommend this tactic if you run out of chocolate chips. ;)

Sheesh, the comments about someone being 50 when kid #2 graduates remind me of where we live now. We moved back to my home town in 08 when we were expecting the triplets, and everyone here has kids young. We are ANCIENT parents compared to my sister, all of her friends, and the majority of my friends (thank G-D for my best friend from high school, who's having her first baby in a few months at age 36--normal in some places, definitely not around here!). Anyway, I know we're damned luck to have the T-man at all, so I try not to let the age thing get to me.

You're WAY more active and alive than many 20-somethings, so just take heart in knowing that if you and DH decide to go the adoption route, you'll be ahead of the curve in terms of energy and love and all the good stuff a kid needs to thrive, age be damned!

Sending you lots of love and all my very best wishes for 2011~
Brenna

Suzanne said...

Aw, I miss having dogs so much. Thanks for posting all the pics. They are so cute! DH has been hinting at wanting another dog (since we lost both of ours last year) but it's just not the right time. We love Akitas and just don't have the time or space to make sure they would have a good home right now.
Keep being a good mommy to those puppies! :)

Me said...

OK the pictures made me smile from ear to ear. I bet it is so fun to watch Moose and Paris play?

And just for the record, being "crazy childless dog people" just means your heart is so full of love that you HAVE to share it. Nothing wrong with that.

And and - when we got the card I *did* point out to my DH that it appeared you have a new friend. I should get points for being observant! :)

Jill M. said...

I'm so sorry to hear that you are still being cut with painful comments! I hope your oh-so-adorable pups make them a little more bearable. They are truly soooooo stinkin' cute. They are your babies, so you post as many pictures as you want, we love seeing them. Hugs

Claudia said...

Okay, so I read about a bazillion blogs, and these are the ONLY pictures in ages where I have felt compelled to call my husband over and say "honey! You've got to see these cute pictures!"

Our favourite part of Paris is her giant puppy paws. SO CUTE.

(Oh, and people who say 'and her six adopted children' make my slapping hand itch).

Phoebe said...

I think Molly is saying, "what are these other dogs doing in MY bed?!"

I've been thinking at what age I could accept having my child graduate, maybe 65 or 70? I mean, I'd be lucky enough to have a kid by age 50! It's a daunting thought.

It's still hard, I know, the infertile holidays. And just when you think you've made it through the holidays, someone slaps you with a pregnancy announcement. Damn it all.

Anonymous said...

I love the new doggy and the pictures! I absolutely love the before/after shots on the bed and with the toys - too cute :).
You got some really great shots - I agree, you should enter them into a contest!

Libby said...

It's taking everything I have right now not to go on petfinder . com right now and pick out a new furry baby! Your pics are just too doggone cute - yes, pun intended! We are devoted dog parents too and never make apologies for it. You give the love where you can :)

Oh, and I wonder if my open bag o' choc chips are where I left them a couple of weeks ago - I'm going to check :)

Ashley said...

Oh my word! Those pictures are too damn adorable! I love all three of them! The pictures of Paris and Moose are my favorites; you captured some perfect moments! Of course, Molly's sad and sweet eyes say a million things too. Precious.

Also, when did you become such a photographer? Dang! You have some mad skills, girl. I'm definitely impressed. Of course, it helps to have adorable subjects to shoot, I'm sure. :)

Shelby said...

Your pups make my heart melt. So beautiful!! (Um, yeah, I had dogster and catster profiles for my 3 cats and 2 dogs--no shame in it! You got to show off the gorgeous puppies!)

We'll miss you in Vegas!!