Two posts in one week. I almost feel like an overachiever. Almost. Let's face it, I still have those wonky ovaries to contend with...and would someone please clean my oven already?
No, seriously, it's a mess and and that whole "self-cleaning" thing is a scam.
So this is going to be a mixed bag of tricks...pretty much just becauseI like to mix things up I'm a little bit mixed up I have been working overtime on contraptions for another planet and my brain is just plum tuckered out - yes, it really is bad enough to use plum tuckered. I have been slacking in the sharing department lately and even though it might be easier to just change the "share a little more than I should" part from my profile description, I began over sharing for a reason. I sure wish I could remember what it was now. I also wish I had remembered to charge my cell phone before work today too, but I can't seem to do it all. I'm only one woman, ya know.
Since most of my gazillion draft posts have to do with some aspect of adoption I should probably give an overview of "what's up with all that anyway" on our end. It seems to have become a bit of a big pink elephant on my blog. At best, I tiptoe around it sometimes making mention and other times completely avoiding it altogether. You all are so sweet and patient to not tell me to just get the shit out of my mouth already and say what I really mean. It's one of the many reasons I love you. Yes, you.
Let the hodgepodging begin...
I want to adopt. I want to adopt in a way that is NOT just because it seems like the next logical step because we can't have biological children. I want to provide a family for a child* and I think we could be a pretty damn good one. I want to be a part of a child's life to teach them and help them find their way in this world.
One of my bigger hurdles on fully coming to this mindset had to do with me getting over the fact that our family will be different. So I am still somewhat reading this same book from months gone by.

Some pictures or equations or end of the chapter math problems would sure make it go a lot faster I suspect.
One of the chapters talks about 3 steps to building entitlement. It says:
Families built by adoption need to engage in the life-long process of building a sense of vested rightfulness between parents and children - each coming to believe they deserve and belong to one another.
I don't like this phrase much and prefer the reference toward entitlement as well as the words rightfulness, deserve, and belong to be axed completely, but that is just me. I can look past it for now and move on to the steps so I actually get somewhere today.
One of the steps is recognizing and accepting that adoption is different from building a family by birth.
For the recognizing part I give myself an A, but the accepting part required a little extra thinking and a few tutoring sessions.
Being the different family to me as a child meant I had 2 parents who didn't work outside the home and one of them was severely disabled. Our family looked different. We stood out in a crowd. We did not do things like everyone else and to date I have only met one other person who was raised in a similar manner...except his mom did still work outside the home and his family talked about his dad's illness and what it meant and all that other apparent healthy stuff that we glossed over pretending it didn't exist.
Answering what my parents did for a living was a constant source of confusion mixed with embarrassment as people never knew how to really respond to my answer. It was either met with a quick subject change or otherwise followed up with "So what does your family do for money then?" Right, because every 8-year-old should know the inner workings of the family finances and clearly that is everyone's business anyway. Those 2 questions were my childhood form of the ever popular "Do you have kids?" and "Why don't you just adopt then?". While I would never change anything about my family and I am able to see so many positive aspects to my situation, "different" still came with a big hairy wart of a stigma that forced me to really take a better look at things. I had to completely let go of that childhood dream that one day FINALLY I would have a family "just like everyone else's" and really feel like I fit without adding a bunch of asterisks for the differences. Yes, this stuff is deep rooted even if it isn't fully logical.
It took a lot of thinking and a little talking (I am MUCH less wordy in therapy - almost shockingly so) to change my frame of mind into embracing the differences. Our child won't come with expectations of possessing certain characteristics or traits because they came from our genes, but as truly their own little individuals in our family that we will be proud of. I won't assume that our child will have the same fields of interest simply because they are part of a family where "most everyone is able to do/has fill-in-your-family's-thing/trait/feature-here". I want to help them explore every facet they may possibly want to try without any unrealistic expectations that they are in some way a little carbon copy of and constantly compared to one of us.
I'm okay with not hearing "Well, I have a biological child and I plan to help them explore everything too and yadda, yadda, yadda..." That is not my point. I am not trying to make a comparison between the 2. I am only explaining my change of thought from focusing on something I wanted and am missing out on to how I am embracing something different and in most ways finding it even better.
SPAM. Have never had it. Have never wanted to have it. Likely never will have it. It has nothing to do with this post except I thought it finished off the title nicely so I had to put it in here somewhere. This is as good of place as any. I hope it lightens the mood. SPAM. And there it is.
Now back to adoption...
I am there and I am in it. I haven't always been (obviously) and I honestly wasn't sure I ever would be. It feels good. I think had I not taken my time, I might have gone into this feeling conflicted that I was again part of a "different" family in a negative way. I may not be able to compare and contrast with other women how long my labor was or how difficult breastfeeding was for me or how much our child looks just like M, but I will have a story. It will be different. It will be mine. It will be beautiful because I will see it that way and share it that way and truly feel it.
I say all of this like we are moving down the path and finding an agency and doing all that jazz (which I might add that I have some likely unpopular opinions on, but not for the reasons you might think. Another day). This is where M and I are not on the same page. He is just not there. Just as I did, he is doing this in his own time. He is still open to the idea of adoption, but it is not a sure thing for him and it may never be and I appreciate his honesty even when it hurts like hell.
I don't know the answers to this part yet and I don't want to dig into them at this point in time. It is a bridge we will cross if we need to. I can tell you with all certainty that we will not adopt if we are not both 100% committed and I can also tell you that if we do not adopt I will likely need to be committed (at least for a short time while I attempt to scotch tape my already stomped on and battered heart back together).
It's complicated. It's scary. It's something I'm going to place on the back burner for now because how many blog posts can I write about "OMG, will he ever change his mind?". He needs space to explore and think and all I can do right now is support him and let him do what he needs and hope our pages merge again one day.
Shameless plug for what might have helped your reluctant spouse (or yourself if you were the reluctant one) over the hump so to speak. Therapy. check. Space and time. check. Open mind. check. Patience and understanding. check. Tools and resources. check. Are there any adoption after infertility dad blogs out there who wrote about their thought process on how they made the choice to adopt??
I'm jaded enough to know that childless is how we could remain. Thank you very much for your expansive teachings on this, infertility. I'm also not ready to accept this could be it for us so for now I will continue to talk about adoption even if we are not actively pursuing it. At the least I will keep working through my other baggage 'cause that crap just gets plain heavy and needs to be dumped somewhere.
So there it is. Welcome to my head. Much like my oven, it's a mess in there.
*this phrase + adoption agency processes cause me great distress...more on this soon
No, seriously, it's a mess and and that whole "self-cleaning" thing is a scam.
So this is going to be a mixed bag of tricks...pretty much just because
Since most of my gazillion draft posts have to do with some aspect of adoption I should probably give an overview of "what's up with all that anyway" on our end. It seems to have become a bit of a big pink elephant on my blog. At best, I tiptoe around it sometimes making mention and other times completely avoiding it altogether. You all are so sweet and patient to not tell me to just get the shit out of my mouth already and say what I really mean. It's one of the many reasons I love you. Yes, you.
Let the hodgepodging begin...
I want to adopt. I want to adopt in a way that is NOT just because it seems like the next logical step because we can't have biological children. I want to provide a family for a child* and I think we could be a pretty damn good one. I want to be a part of a child's life to teach them and help them find their way in this world.
One of my bigger hurdles on fully coming to this mindset had to do with me getting over the fact that our family will be different. So I am still somewhat reading this same book from months gone by.

Some pictures or equations or end of the chapter math problems would sure make it go a lot faster I suspect.
One of the chapters talks about 3 steps to building entitlement. It says:
Families built by adoption need to engage in the life-long process of building a sense of vested rightfulness between parents and children - each coming to believe they deserve and belong to one another.
I don't like this phrase much and prefer the reference toward entitlement as well as the words rightfulness, deserve, and belong to be axed completely, but that is just me. I can look past it for now and move on to the steps so I actually get somewhere today.
One of the steps is recognizing and accepting that adoption is different from building a family by birth.
For the recognizing part I give myself an A, but the accepting part required a little extra thinking and a few tutoring sessions.
Being the different family to me as a child meant I had 2 parents who didn't work outside the home and one of them was severely disabled. Our family looked different. We stood out in a crowd. We did not do things like everyone else and to date I have only met one other person who was raised in a similar manner...except his mom did still work outside the home and his family talked about his dad's illness and what it meant and all that other apparent healthy stuff that we glossed over pretending it didn't exist.
Answering what my parents did for a living was a constant source of confusion mixed with embarrassment as people never knew how to really respond to my answer. It was either met with a quick subject change or otherwise followed up with "So what does your family do for money then?" Right, because every 8-year-old should know the inner workings of the family finances and clearly that is everyone's business anyway. Those 2 questions were my childhood form of the ever popular "Do you have kids?" and "Why don't you just adopt then?". While I would never change anything about my family and I am able to see so many positive aspects to my situation, "different" still came with a big hairy wart of a stigma that forced me to really take a better look at things. I had to completely let go of that childhood dream that one day FINALLY I would have a family "just like everyone else's" and really feel like I fit without adding a bunch of asterisks for the differences. Yes, this stuff is deep rooted even if it isn't fully logical.
It took a lot of thinking and a little talking (I am MUCH less wordy in therapy - almost shockingly so) to change my frame of mind into embracing the differences. Our child won't come with expectations of possessing certain characteristics or traits because they came from our genes, but as truly their own little individuals in our family that we will be proud of. I won't assume that our child will have the same fields of interest simply because they are part of a family where "most everyone is able to do/has fill-in-your-family's-thing/trait/feature-here". I want to help them explore every facet they may possibly want to try without any unrealistic expectations that they are in some way a little carbon copy of and constantly compared to one of us.
I'm okay with not hearing "Well, I have a biological child and I plan to help them explore everything too and yadda, yadda, yadda..." That is not my point. I am not trying to make a comparison between the 2. I am only explaining my change of thought from focusing on something I wanted and am missing out on to how I am embracing something different and in most ways finding it even better.
SPAM. Have never had it. Have never wanted to have it. Likely never will have it. It has nothing to do with this post except I thought it finished off the title nicely so I had to put it in here somewhere. This is as good of place as any. I hope it lightens the mood. SPAM. And there it is.
Now back to adoption...
I am there and I am in it. I haven't always been (obviously) and I honestly wasn't sure I ever would be. It feels good. I think had I not taken my time, I might have gone into this feeling conflicted that I was again part of a "different" family in a negative way. I may not be able to compare and contrast with other women how long my labor was or how difficult breastfeeding was for me or how much our child looks just like M, but I will have a story. It will be different. It will be mine. It will be beautiful because I will see it that way and share it that way and truly feel it.
I say all of this like we are moving down the path and finding an agency and doing all that jazz (which I might add that I have some likely unpopular opinions on, but not for the reasons you might think. Another day). This is where M and I are not on the same page. He is just not there. Just as I did, he is doing this in his own time. He is still open to the idea of adoption, but it is not a sure thing for him and it may never be and I appreciate his honesty even when it hurts like hell.
I don't know the answers to this part yet and I don't want to dig into them at this point in time. It is a bridge we will cross if we need to. I can tell you with all certainty that we will not adopt if we are not both 100% committed and I can also tell you that if we do not adopt I will likely need to be committed (at least for a short time while I attempt to scotch tape my already stomped on and battered heart back together).
It's complicated. It's scary. It's something I'm going to place on the back burner for now because how many blog posts can I write about "OMG, will he ever change his mind?". He needs space to explore and think and all I can do right now is support him and let him do what he needs and hope our pages merge again one day.
Shameless plug for what might have helped your reluctant spouse (or yourself if you were the reluctant one) over the hump so to speak. Therapy. check. Space and time. check. Open mind. check. Patience and understanding. check. Tools and resources. check. Are there any adoption after infertility dad blogs out there who wrote about their thought process on how they made the choice to adopt??
I'm jaded enough to know that childless is how we could remain. Thank you very much for your expansive teachings on this, infertility. I'm also not ready to accept this could be it for us so for now I will continue to talk about adoption even if we are not actively pursuing it. At the least I will keep working through my other baggage 'cause that crap just gets plain heavy and needs to be dumped somewhere.
So there it is. Welcome to my head. Much like my oven, it's a mess in there.
*this phrase + adoption agency processes cause me great distress...more on this soon
33 comments:
I loved your post... I too am thinking about the endeavor of adoption. It is so confusing where to start or how to shift gears, but after so much infertility madness, I just want to be a mom~
So much grace and thought goes into each of your posts... I am always amazed at everything you write. I, on the other, am clumsy with my words and tend to repeat myself... as always, I hope that you and M are able to find peace along the path to parenthood together. {{hugs}}
I think it takes men a little longer to come around. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be a common theme in the adoption world. Most of us women just move forward and hope they catch up. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Good luck!
Amen sister.
As for tips for helping someone else come to a firm decision (either way I guess) maybe it helps to meet other families who have adopted? I don't know...just to see someone 'on the other side' so to speak.
You're a strong, brave, compassionate woman (and naturally, my twin :) ) but seriously--I mean that and you think about things so completely and thoroughly and have such amazing insights...I am hoping that it all comes together soon for the both of you and no scotch tape will be involved at all.
I wish I had some assvice to give but I don't. Just some love and lots of positive vibes.
And there really is no 'every other family'. We're all nuts and the ones that look the most together are probably faking it. ;) We need to be different, or else would the neighbors have to talk about?
Oh and I tried SPAM because apparently I was robbing the inhabitants of some great delicacy. I started robbing them again. Not a fan.: )
Not sure if this helps but lastchanceivf mentioned meeting people who have adopted. When we were waiting to have our profile picked, we went to a lot of waiting family meetings. They would often have couples come in a discuss the adoption process. The other couples there (us) could ask them questions about what they went through. I wonder if that's something that would help M make his decision about adopting - maybe hearing other's points of view and how they came to their decisions to adopt.
I'm on the lookout for blogs about dads who dealt with infertility and adoption...I'll get back to you if I come across some.
Thank you, Brenda, for so openly sharing. I loved reading this line: "I want to adopt."
And I also know how it is to hear your DH say it may never be something for him. B/c those were my DH's sentiments exactly. And it just killed me.
I just put J's feet to the coals (well, okay, in reality gently, *persistently* prodded) on how he came around.
This is all I got...he said, "For anyone thinking about adoption, it would be a good idea to take a course like we did."
What I read into that is that meeting advocates in-person who were passionate about adoption, meeting parents who had adopted, even meeting the birth mothers, all helped him in some way. I know it did for me.
And can I also say reading this post helped ground me? I've been feeling like an untethered balloon floating about the past few days and your post helped tangibly remind me again...how beautiful it can all be.
I hope your DH takes the time he needs, too, and I hope you both turn the next page together.
I too think men just take a while to process stuff. My lovely fella and I were on totally different pages when it came to deciding to try to get pregnant (it hasn't worked yet but that's another story).
We had many long chats, I wept a lot but in the end we both did pro's and con's lists for each option. He read mine and just said 'Ok, lets do it.'
LOL! Men are weird. Now he's just as keen as me.
I hope that something similar happens for you. xxx
My husband took longer to get there. It was frustrating as hell (and the irony is, here we are waist-deep in home study education requirements and I'm the one freaking out), and my inclination is to push - so it was a big lesson for me in shutting up. Apart from time, space, etc, two (related) things helped him ultimately cross the line: 1: telling his parents we were giving up fertility treatments and therefore pursuing adoption. Their support, while not a surprise, was enough to dispel a lot of his fears. Yes, they would love biological grandchildren, but an adopted grandchild would certainly not be a disappointment, one of those irrational (yet natural) fears that can consume anyone - my husband included. 2: informing a few select friends (we need home study references) and getting the kind of enthusiastic responses that helped him 'own it'. I think that was big. Even just a smile and 'Congratulations!' from the notary at the bank lightened his heart. Slowly making this a public decision (even one he hadn't fully embraced) has somehow validated him. Can I explain it? No. I wish I could've validated him, but he was probably sick of me already.
Your head might be a mess but it is a kind, beautiful, heart-filling mess. You are at the very TOP of my "they-should-be-parents" list. ;)
(I can't help but wonder what about me comes off as so jaded that it makes Jess surprised that I might like a little poppy music once in a while. LOL.)
I don't have any experience with adoption process, but there are elements that are similar to donor eggs. I love how positive you sound about the whole process and how sure you are of yourself. I am sure that your husband will come around, but as to how to hurry that along I have no idea.
Just listening, B.
Big hugs and thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really wish I could give you a real hug and chat over coffee.
Both my husband and I are adopted. And our experiences were similar in that we each had a sibling that was biological to our parents.
And now we've been fortunate, through a lot of intervention, to have a biological son.
But, while we always said we would adopt (what a lovely full circle moment it would be for both of us), we are absolutely stuck. He'd be quite happy being a family of three (for reasons having mostly to do with the convenience of it all) and, while I desperately want another child (and sibling for our son), I'm not able to get past the idea of having to be "picked" by a birth mom.
I blogged about it recently, and am no clearer for having done so.
I am excited and interested in your journey and perhaps it will shed light on my own.
Just wanted to tell you that I just emailed you a list of some blogs that you might like to read. They are written from the adoptive father's perspective. Hope they help :)
For us, it took DH a while longer than me to really embrace adoption. Even then, it came in baby steps: we started with info sessions, then searching for an agency (much easier up here in Canada as there are few to choose from) and we dragged our feet on the homestudy.
I think the real defining moment for him was after we attended a birthmom panel. He had been so skeptical (scared) of the openness aspect of adoption but that night a light went on for him and he was suddenly on board 110% and running at full steam.
Each of us struggle with different issues and he'll make a decision one way or the other when he's ready. It just sucks that you are waiting in limbo in the mean time.
I haven't had this kind of experience with my husband because I knew something was wrong with me BEFORE we even started dating, and brought it up to him when we were dating. I wanted him to know it adoption would be a liklihood in our lives and that if he wasn't okay with it, this was his chance to end it.
It is hard when you aren't on the same page. Right now he is the calm one about waiting and I am the one who wants it to be RIGHT NOW! He just trusts that it will happen and I want to make it happen. Sigh. It isn't ever easy, is it?
For us, I'm the one with the fingers in my ears, singing "la, la, la, I can't hear you" whenever himself raises the topic of adoption. I can't explain it, there is no logic and I know it's completely unfair on him. The one thing I would say is that I wish he could tell me that he was ok with me being honest about my feelings - that would mean a lot to me. I hope it means as much to M.
For someone who says there is a lot of hodge podge, mishmash and disorganized thoughts, your post was amazingly well written and conveys the confusion and soul searching that you are doing. Keep working through the stuff in your head...even the toughest ovens can be cleaned.
P.S. SPAM is pretty good - maybe you should try it! It stands for "spiced ham" so it's not mystery meat. You can make a SPAM sandwich which is pretty awesome :)
Anything I write will just be assvice. And I don't want to make you grimace and pull you away from eating your SPAM sandwich.
Thinking of you, always here to listen and read and always honored that you share and let us tread along.
Thank you so much for writing this. I think I could have written the same thing about wanting to adopt, but DH not being on the same page. Heck, he's not even reading the same book! It's helpful to read your thoughts on what might happen if you never do get to the same page. Thanks again for another honest post.
i am sorry that i missed you when you were mere BLOCKS from my house - out in the poppy fields!
the hubbs was NOT interested at. all. in any kind of adoption. i think his change of heart came from a combination of a few things: a conversation we had in one of our few counseling sessions, the book C recommended to you and to us, and time. specifically, time without me mentioning it to him. so, while i was valiantly (er, desperately) attempting to see our lives without children, reading books about getting past infertility (sweet grapes, anyone?)...he was doing whatever it was he did. and then he just announced that he wanted to adopt or do Demb, whatever, he wants to have a child. i started to bawl in the restaurant when he dropped this info on me out of the blue!
so, i really don't know how he got there. i wish i did. then i would tell you.
xoxoxo
Love your deep thought posts! I hope your dh turns to the same page as you very soon!!! I can't wait to follow that journey. Hugs B!
I went straight to the source, my DH and asked him what made him turn around to adoption. Initially, he was against it and just couldn't even fathom how he could love a child that he wasn't biologically linked to. This devastated me and honestly would probably have been a deal breaker in our marriage eventually. So, my husband's response to how he came around to adoption is this.
He said that he first thought about our dogs. I know you guys are do people too, but we are DOG people. Full on kiss-on-the-mouth dog lovers. I know that dogs are not equivalent to children, but let's face it, to us infertiles, they are our children. Anyway, he said that he loves his dogs so much and obviously they aren't related to us. If he could love them that much, why couldn't that love transfer to a baby? Another point he made was that he thouht of all of our non-biological relatives. We have step-parents and step-grandparents that we adore. There is no biological connection there and it isn't necessary for us to love them. The last thing that turned his thinking around was to meet other couples who recently adopted. We got the chance to meet 2 other couples picking up their babies in California. Seeing an actual baby instead of an imaginary baby helped DH because really... how do you not coo over a baby? It's awesome to see families created through adoption. It's truly a beautiful thing, and you GROW so much. I never in a million years would have thought that I would adopt an infant and be in an open adoption. Now, I can't imagine my life being any other way.
I'm glad you've found some clarity on this issue. However, I'm sorry that you and your husband aren't on the same page. That;s a tough place to be. My husband has always been open to adoption, and I've always been the one with reservations, so I'm at a loss for advice. I wish you peace as the two of you seek a resolution together.
Lol on the spam. I'm totally going to steal that idea, if you don't mind, although I'll likely use some other over-processed food product.
In short, you are being wise. You could twist your DH's arm, rush into it, but then not only will you be settling in to new parenthood, but trying to reconcile your not quite settled feelings towards it all and that would be doing a disservice to you, the child and your family as a whole.
DH coming around wasn't the problem in my case; he suggested it first. It was *me* that had the problem, because I wasn't done grieving. It took another two years after the ectopic to get past it and open my heart and mind to it.
I think perhaps you need to find out what his real objection to adoption might be. There are men so wrapped up in their id/image/cojones/whatever that makes them shudder away from it; some of them have the fear that they won't like or care or bond with the child. Maybe he's grieving, like I was. Once you find that, I think you may be on the right track to changing his mind.
Sorry about the weak assvice.
Allie
PS: Spam is disgusting
Even though I know this isn't an easy time for you, it's good to see your posts again. I have no practical advice for the husband-nudging, but my own experience with IVF (my husband was very reluctant to pursue it) was that I had to just do all the research and make all the arrangements and then have him meet with the RE. The doctor made it all real for him, in a way that I hadn't been able to - once he really saw the options, he was more realistic about our choices. I know adoption is a whole different ball of wax, but maybe husbands in general are sort of similar...
Sending lots of strong positive thoughts your way!
Oh B, I SO hope that you and DH are able to see eye-to-eye soon. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be to want to move forward with adoption NOW, and have your significant other still mulling over the matter. I have faith that he will come around and embrace the idea ('cause you've gotta have faith-uh faith-uh faith-UH....bay-BEH! Ok, sorry).
In all seriousness, I so enjoy these posts of yours. Your insight is always fascinating. SPAM and all. =)
Oh! And a little birdie (by the name of Sarang) told me that you're going to be in the Bay Area in August! =D I would, of course, LOVE to meet you!
oh wow. wow. wow.
reading this really made me reflect just how different babes and i are. i have always been keen on adoption and babes is not. till today, my heart longs to adopt.
keep writing, b. i hope that you and M start a new journey towards parenthood in your time and know that i'll bere, reading on, with tons of kleenex.
xoxo,
P.
ah, where to begin. how about, equations, really? they'd make the books go faster? pictures maybe, but that's right, aren't you a rocket scientist or something?
seriously though, this is the hardest part. at least it was for me. those months were grey and blurry and uncertain, while we weren't on the same page. it was awful, the not knowing, not having any options. I feel for you. it sucks.
time. space. information. thoughtful discussion. not being forced. hearing from people about their adoption experience. more discussion. then not talking about it at all. contemplation.
ultimately he needs to know that he will love a child that is not biologically his. he needs to know he will feel like a daddy.
readiness comes at its own pace for everyone. you can't force it.
but you know this.
for us, it was the realization that above all we wanted to be parents.
as for the entitlement, I hate that word too. but I understand how it's important for everyone. you need to know that you are the child's parents, and the child needs to feel secure in that knowledge too. when you are asked to parent and treated as the child's parents, it is empowering.
I'm rambling now, sorry. but if you ever want to "talk," you know how to find me. thinking of you.
and spam spam spam.
oh wow, so much that I hardly know what to say.
For my DH - I know this is utterly lame, but for him it was seeing some cute Ethiopian babies. After that he was sold. Yeah, that's not a story that we told the social worker :)
Post a Comment