
Very quickly: To my dear, sweet anon#2 commenter, we are just in different places right now. That is really all there is to it. I know without a doubt that (like you) I will get there one day too in my own time and way, but right now I am here and I will not apologize for that. You are at that point in your life doing what is best for you and I am at this point in my life doing what is best for me and the fact that our paths aren't crossing right now doesn't make either of us wrong.* I wish you well and agree that it is likely best that we now part ways...
Maybe it is time to start thinking about enabling comment moderation?? I'm all for people speaking their minds and I expect people to have differing opinions, hence one of the points of my last post. I really don't mind hearing the flip-side view points because they often push me outside my comfort zone to think about things another way or how people outside the IF world might perceive my actions/views. I guess I would just prefer that it be done in a respectful manner without the judgement or finger pointing, but as with infertility that is out of my control...so I will simply move on and get back to my over-sharing blog roots.
*~*~*~*
Speaking of control (that's almost like a news reporter transition, huh?!), I think not too long ago I was babbling on about the 6 significant losses related to infertility. I threw them out there asking for what was at the top of your list and then I ducked out without yet sharing mine. So let's get back to it, shall we?
One thing that struck me the most when reading through your lists was how many of you chose loss of control as your #1 loss. For both M and I it was dead last and not given much thought at all. I began to wonder if I had not considered it hard enough or if I missed the boat on how I perceived what it meant. It took me awhile (insert that s-l-o-w processing thing of mine again), but aside from the obvious that we all come to this point in different ways, we are also at some very different stages with very different realities. Depending on where we are at right now and what we are currently dealing with I think really has some effect as to how we rank our list. Just a (not very well thought out yet) theory. Any insight?
When I was starting down the IUI/IVF road, I am pretty sure I would have ranked the loss of pregnancy - physical and emotional - near the top because it was just so front and center and still so within reach, but now after all is said and done I see for me that it really isn't in my top 3 anymore. Maybe when/if we adopt, it will be back at the top again. It's just a snapshot of how we are feeling and how things are affecting us at this point in time.
As M and I were discussing home study** kinds of things with our therapist this week, one of us (maybe it was the often surprisingly insightful one who doesn't write this blog) drew some conclusions that the loss of control could be ranked a little higher onhis the list if/when this process starts...different day, different snapshot.
So finally, my list.
One thing that struck me the most when reading through your lists was how many of you chose loss of control as your #1 loss. For both M and I it was dead last and not given much thought at all. I began to wonder if I had not considered it hard enough or if I missed the boat on how I perceived what it meant. It took me awhile (insert that s-l-o-w processing thing of mine again), but aside from the obvious that we all come to this point in different ways, we are also at some very different stages with very different realities. Depending on where we are at right now and what we are currently dealing with I think really has some effect as to how we rank our list. Just a (not very well thought out yet) theory. Any insight?
When I was starting down the IUI/IVF road, I am pretty sure I would have ranked the loss of pregnancy - physical and emotional - near the top because it was just so front and center and still so within reach, but now after all is said and done I see for me that it really isn't in my top 3 anymore. Maybe when/if we adopt, it will be back at the top again. It's just a snapshot of how we are feeling and how things are affecting us at this point in time.
As M and I were discussing home study** kinds of things with our therapist this week, one of us (maybe it was the often surprisingly insightful one who doesn't write this blog) drew some conclusions that the loss of control could be ranked a little higher on
So finally, my list.
- The Loss of the Opportunity To Parent. When stacked up with all the rest, I can't imagine not parenting. I just can't. I have given it some serious consideration and processing time, but as my thoughts work themselves out this will by far be my #1 loss if we are never able to parent. There isn't another that has been able to knock this one from his spot yet and I don't think that will change unless I am able to parent.
- The Loss of a Jointly Conceived Child With A Beloved Partner. I picked the old lug for a reason and knowing that I will never see what a little B & M combo will look/act like still gets me in the gut. I know we were more likely to get the stubborn, shy, crooked toed, bad health gene'd, unfortunate skin'd child over the blue-eye'd, dark hair'd, sarcastic, studious, fun-loving little squirt we were planning on...but the not knowing/letting go of this dream is sometimes just hard.
- The Loss of Genetic Continuity, Linking Past and Future. I've mentioned before how I had this somewhat unrealistic expectation of seeing my dad in our future child and it still remains. My first degree family consisted of 4 people with blue eyes, dark thin hair, fair sensitive skin, below average height, and full of all kinds of sarcasm and stubbornness. It is obvious that we are all related and in many ways I had this vision that my child would somehow continue this trend, especially based on the fact that I married a man with all of those traits (sans the short stature).
- The Loss of the Emotional Gratification Of Pregnancy and Birth. This one won out over the physical satisfaction for me simply based on my need to feel connected and bonded with people - read my husband, mom, and friends. I wanted to swap experiences and be part of that group who gets to share a "When I was pregnant with..." story. I wanted to feel a little pampered. I wanted strangers to ask when I was due and hold doors. No need to burst my bubble on this if you are/have experienced this and it isn't the reality. Because I will never know it, mine gets to remain untouched in my own dream.
- The Loss of the Physical Satisfaction of Pregnancy and Birth. Today (for whatever reason) this one would rank higher. I just want to know so much what it feels like to be so intimately connected to our child. I hate not knowing what a kick in the rib or a baby pushing on my bladder feels like. I wanted to experience labor and birth and everything that goes along with it. And because I really do share too much, I wanted to have boobs bigger than a 32A for one time in my life. The breastfeeding thing is right in there too. I may or may not have succeeded, but I at least wanted the option to try.
- The Loss of Control Over Many Aspects Of Life. This one hasn't left the bottom of my list and I'm not fully sure why. I like to think I have come to terms with it in some ways, but a much more realistic reason might be that we are not actively pursuing treatments or in the process of adopting or in the process of any big changes (job, house, vehicle, etc.) so it might just be sitting in the background waiting for our next move.
We want to adopt (and it feels so good to say that), but we first want to finish resolving some feelings and issues before taking that next step. We really want to be the best parents that we can and we know we aren't quite there yet. And this, my friends, feels like a couple giant steps forward...FINALLY.
* A very similar piece of advice was given to me by our wonderful therapist in reference to my work-friend-baby-meeting dilemma***. I think it may become my new motto.
**No, you didn't miss any announcements. We are still ve-rrr-yyy S-L-O-W-L-Y processing "things".
***I heeded all your wonderful advice and bailed work altogether that day. I'm not sure if it was good or bad karma, but I had bloody shits**** all day so I wasn't fully playing hooky. One more little personal victory is that I skipped the day without the guilt.
****I think I still owe you all that colonoscopy post that I promised way back when (#4 on the list).
And the over-sharing continues...
26 comments:
Again, you are so brave to openly discuss your thoughts and you are inspiring so many people.
The thing about comment moderation (having been there myself) is that you still see and read the comment. You just don't publish it, so the rest of the readers don't get to see what a-holes exist out there.
I am tickled pink to read you have come to a decision and are heading towards adoption. Not because I'm an a-mom myself but because it's a decision you both agree upon and that's the most important thing.
I put comment moderation on my blog a while back - it's the spam comments that bug me the most though. I think that anon#2 said some things that s/he may not even realize were said. But it eludes to what you pointed out - s/he has moved on. BUT, obviously there was a point where s/he DID live in the same misery we all have experienced. I love what you said though, which is what I try to keep in mind when I read blogs about women still in the trenches: we all get there in our own time and own way.
Good post.
I am glad you are working through your feelings and are headed in the adoption direction. It isn't easy, but knowing there is a child out there for me helps.
It must make you feel better knowing that you and M are another step closer and that you are both thinking similar thoughts when it comes to pregnancy/adoption.
I think it's wonderful that you are taking your time to figure it all out and to make the right decisions for you both.
I smiled really big when I read what you wrote: 3. We want to adopt.
I'm really excited for you and M!
Oh, wow, when I read your #3.) We want to adopt...it put a big, BIG smile on my face!
I know you both are still processing things, and I think posts like this one about ranking the IF losses, are an excellent way of processing. So proud of you!
Although, I had to have the startling obvious pointed out to me by my DH, my #1 loss is the same as yours "The Loss of the Opportunity to Parent". It is truly the one thing that, when I stop to think about it, has kept me going. I know I will be a parent.
You know my "guru" is Mind/Body expert Dr. Alice Domar (uh, is that plug #3? ;), and her thought always stays with me:
"Somehow, some way, if you truly want to become a parent, you will."
I can't wait for that day for you and your DH!
You have so much support to follow you on your journey to parenthood, and I am right there with you. This can't be easy and it can't be rushed. I give you hugs and wish you peace as you inch along in the journey. You are awesome, gracious, and so, so special.
Thank you for revisiting this list and sharing your thoughts on each loss. I kept that first post you did up in my browser for weeks b/c it made me think...a LOT.
Doesn't it feel great to have made a decision?! I'm glad that you are working through your feelings/issues together. My hubby isn't into therapists. Thanks for sharing your list and reasonings with us.
The idea of how the list changes over time is so important - if it didn't, we would all be stuck in some way or another. Loss of control was at the top of my list, and giving that up was the only way I could move forward - but I'm not sure I could have seen that at the time.
I'm so impressed with the way you and M work through all of this together, and glad that you're making your way toward an option - and I know it's early days yet - that can bring you the things that are at the top of your list.
I am so happy that you are writing and working through everything. Your post made me smile and I am excited to read about the next steps you guys are taking!
I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again. What you call over sharing is what I call courage. It's what I call friendship for those of us that can't put our thoughts together and read your words and feel like they are not alone. Thank you.
Share away! If we didn't share so much we would've never found each other, and then who in the wide world of weblogs would I call my twin? :)
Although it's painful to explore all of these losses, it's necessary. I admire you guys for doing the work...like all of this crap that has been foisted on us there is no way around it, only through it.
Big hugs.
feel like i'm a bit late to the party. read the previous posts and gosh, B, these fucking annoying annons are just annoying! gah!
Ok, so u're heading somewhere. :) in your own time. :) and like others, I too smiled like really BIG when you said: we want to adopt. :)
When you do reach your resolution, I'm flying up to see ya and give you this book : I LOVE YOU THROUGH AND THROUGH! :)
I MEAN IT.
love ya!
I understand people are in a different place than you right now but I guess I don't think they need to comment then. It seems that commenting means they are trying to show you how much better they are at this than you -or- show you how you *should* be handling this. It also seems forced and fake. Everyone goes through the anger, pain, pity, and bitterness...EVERYONE. Some people process through it faster, some people PRETEND not to go throuhg it at all and others go through it faster. And, to be honest, that's what these blogs are for. If you don't like it, don't read it.
I'm glad you and your husband are working through the list and it sounds wonderful that you are doing it slowly and starting to make your way to adoption. I've recently been witness to some beautiful adoption stories and honestly I know my pregnant belly has nothing on them. Maybe initially b/c of some of the losses of dreams but once they get that child, nope, they've won the lottery. Seriously. So, process through it slowly (so very mentally healthy of you) and get there...because it is beautiful. (we had honest discussions about it too before this finally worked...and did a lot of research and started the papers but I was always so scared of it...b/c of the paperwork and home studies and stuff I let myself be held back)
Thanks for the update!
I'm always so excited to see a new post from you...and then THIS fantastic news, that you and your husband are on the same page regarding adoption! No matter when or how that happens, I'm honored to follow your journey and know that the child you welcome into your family will be very lucky indeed. You're so smart to take your time and come to it when you're ready--please keep us posted on how things are progressing!
Loss of control is so low on my list I neglected to even mention it. I think that, between my husband's illness and IF, that more than anything is something that I have been able to come to terms with over the last few years. I suspect your father's condition may somehow relate to your acceptance as well.
I am glad that you are considering adoption. After I met you in California I told my husband that there aren't many people in the universe that would be as good of a parent as you would. And I meant it. Still do.
Welcome to a whole new adventure! :)
Big hugs Brenda ... you are doing so much work emotionally right now and it's raw and it's no small undertaking ... it's so awesome that you're brave enough to share your heart.
And those anon folks with their comments ... yikes. You are a bigger man than me. I would'a socked 'em a good one.
the first steps are the hardest on a new journey. it takes time and yes, lots to process. glad to see you are looking for a way to keep moving forward. take your time.
This is amazing. I must have missed your intital list post so this was wonderful for me to read today. You know I have never thought, well let me rephrase that, I have never thought about my IF losses in a list type of way. It is something I think I will do with Super S. It will be interesting to see how similar or not we feel about about IF has affected our lives. And B keep sharing, over, under, whatever- you are such a valuable resource, friend, woman, and inspiration to us all girl. xoxoxo
I absolutely adore you Brenda! Your posts are always so honest and well written. If I had to make a list, I think mine would have looked very similar. I know there are many women who share your feelings.
I'm so glad you and M have reached a decision and I am so, so excited for you.
You are going at this at your own pace and most importantly, honestly. You are not rushing into anything that you haven't fully embraced and you will be better off for it. It's a wise and admirable way of finding your path. Good for you!
And go forward with the over-sharing! In real life, I'm all about the TMI!
So much hard stuff in this post... but I still came away grinning for you. I'm sure you can guess why :)
Congratulations on a decision!!!
My friend, I am glad to hear that you and M have decided on a way forward for you to both realise your dreams of becoming parents. For me this is such good news cos I cannot imagine a world where you don't get to be Mom to that someone special - the child you get to be Mom to will be so blessed to have you. I believe that with all my heart.
xxx
B, I am so sorry that you are even having to deal with the items on your list, but so proud of you for processing through them. Best of luck to you no matter which path this journey takes you. Hugs
Thanks for sharing your loss list with us. I think it's so interesting to see how genetics ranked low on your husband's list. It makes me want to go over this list with my husband and see how our lists compare.
For me, every loss comes down to loss of control. Like the loss of being a parent - you don't get to chose if you are a parent or not, so that's a loss of control.
I'm glad you are honest that you are not ready yet to adopt and that you recognize that you two are working together to resolve your emotional issues. I would so love to do that too, but am so gun shy of bad therapists who don't really know how to really do couples therapy combined with IF therapy. It's a rare skill and you've got a gem of a therapist there.
Post a Comment