I've told different versions of the story many times in the last 10 years.
It was 1999 and I was 25. My first nephew was born in May, M and I moved to CA (from NE) for graduate school in June, and my dad passed away in September. (I've written about him before here and here.)
I
We had been down this road many times before - dad was suddenly sick and admitted to the hospital. It was par for the course with his MS. I had mastered the art of hospital waiting room self entertainment during my childhood, even celebrating my first birthday there. It was our "normal". This was the first time though that I was over 1600 miles away with a support network of 1 (M).
When I hadn't heard back from my mom one day I called my SIL to see how things were going. I don't remember any specific comment, but something in my gut told me during that conversation that I needed to go home instantly. I booked the first flight out for the next morning and spent the evening in a raging lunatic like panic. Somehow I already knew.
I got to my window seat the next morning and when the sweet older woman next to me asked if I was going home or on vacation I burst into tears telling her my dad was really sick again. She was an angel and spent a good portion of the flight just talking and listening and distracting me with questions about my schooling and research and family and everything in between. My thoughts were racing and I remember telling her that this time just felt so different from all the rest. I always tear up just thinking about her compassion and kindness. I needed someone that day to just "be there" and never imagined it would come from a total stranger.
My brother, SIL, and sweet 4-month-old nephew picked me up at the airport. I don't remember much of the 3 hour drive, but soon we were at the hospital. It was the same hospital that I was born in (1 of 2 babies in the nursery at the time), where my dad had spent his 40 day-40 night stay (affectionately nicknamed his Noah hospital stay) battling pneumonia when I was young, and where I had my appendix out when I was 16. They no longer delivered babies and half of the 25 rooms were now assisted living. Yes, only 25 rooms in the whole hospital.
Things were looking grim and we were already at the point of "We are doing everything that we can." It wasn't our first time hearing these words, but somehow that didn't make it any easier.
How he always became so deathly ill so quickly was never understood. This particular time he had woken up one morning very upset telling my mom that he needed to go to the hospital. My mom cared for his every need and knew immediately something was off. She started getting him ready, telling him that they would be off to see the doctor shortly, but he sobbed telling her it didn't matter now and that he wasn't going to make it. He seemed pretty disoriented like he had a vision or dream and knew this was it. Not much after being admitted and loaded up on meds, he drifted into an unconscious state. This is how he was when I arrived.
We pretty much lived in the hospital for the next week only leaving to grab a quick bite to eat at the local diner or to run home to shower. We slept in the "family" waiting room which consisted of a recliner and love seat that were likely the same ones my dad sat in while I was being born - really, no joking. We took turns sitting at his side, talking to him, sharing stories with and about him, holding his hand, and just clinging to each other. We walked the halls with my nephew taking him to see the fish tank in the community room in the wee hours of the night. We spent time together and let one another wander as needed to collect our own thoughts.
When the doctor came in one morning, I saw the big red DNR sticker on my dad's chart. I guess I always knew those were his wishes, but to see the sticker on a piece of paper with his name while he was in a coma just feet away really hit me in the gut. I kept looking at it, trying to will it off the page so they would not just let him die, but I knew that was only selfishly for me. He had suffered so much through his 25 years with MS and even threw in a brain tumor at one point to boot. I wanted him here, yet hated how he was suffering and knew how much more deteriorated he became after each of these hospitalizations. He couldn't do anything physical for himself anymore (from eating to getting to the bathroom to shaving). He had been this way for years. His speech had declined so much that those outside our family had trouble understanding him at all and on his harder days, even my mom was challenged in getting things on the first attempt. It was a horribly miserable thing to witness over my entire childhood and into early adulthood. The words unfair, unjust, and unimaginable don't hold a candle to the anger and confusion built up over the years.
My mom and I took a break one day to run to the closest town to pick up a few odds and ends. It was the same town where my brother and SIL lived so we grabbed something "to go" and went to their house to eat. It was then that my mom told us that she had spoken to the doctor and the prognosis was that he really already was gone. Even if they were able to rid him of the multiple infections that ravaged through his body and get him back to breathing room air, his brain would never be the same. He would never be the same. She decided to stop the aggressive treatments and just keep him as comfortable as possible. Probably the hardest words she ever spoke and the hardest ones I ever heard.
As I sat alone with my dad one night, I told him how much I loved him and wanted him to stay, but also wanted him to not be in pain anymore. I told him it was okay for him to go now. I told him that we would take care of one another and make sure my nephew knew who his Grandpa was. I have to believe he knew I was there. I studied his face, stroked his hair, ran my fingers over his tattoos trying to absorb every detail in a way that it would never leave. I gave him a foot massage much like I had done throughout my childhood. His feet were as soft and smooth as a baby's as he hadn't walked on them in over 20 years. Aside from them not working, the look and feel were foot model perfect.
We continued sleeping at the hospital, but decided on about night 7 or 8 to get some rest at home. I hate that we left, but we were so exhausted. It was around day 10 of his coma that the hospital called us early one morning to tell us that he had passed. I was standing next to my mom holding her hand as she took the call. I think we both already knew who it was before she answered. We hugged and cried and I told my mom that he was walking and talking again now and no longer in pain. She followed it up with, "And probably kicking Grandpa Joe's ass* if I know your dad..." For some maybe not appropriate, but our family has always ranked very high on the sarcasm meter to get through the tough stuff. (*Grandpa Joe was my dad's dad who had passed away the year before leaving his 90 some odd years of a house hoarding nightmare behind.)
We went to the hospital where we remained in the waiting room until my brother arrived. We all wanted to go in to see dad together. His room was quiet now with no more beeps or oxygen masks or IV lines. He looked so peaceful. I hadn't even considered that he would feel differently when I grabbed his hand one last time. It was cold and a bit stiff and I was taken back with emotions that everything about him was now gone. The shell of his body was so familiar and yet suddenly so foreign.
The next few days and months could be a whole new post on their own. It was a hard transition to lose him and return to our new "home" in CA where I had missed the first week of graduate classes and was now behind a couple weeks on my research. I would highly recommend not learning nonlinear partial differential equations and studying the Navier Stokes equations while grieving the loss of your father in a new state where you have no friends and only know of one other female in your program. (Crap, just writing that nightmare of a run-on sentence was hard.) It was a set-up for some deep rooted denial and depression. I'm still not sure how I made it through and hate remembering back to that time at all. I think it was the strength, drive, and attitude that I learned from my dad that pushed me through.
I am so grateful that our last good-bye while he was still alive and well was one of those longer hugs and extra kisses kinds of good-byes when we left for CA. I have no regrets about any of my time with him and only wish there was more of it.
I can hardly believe September 25, 1999 has turned into September 25, 2009. It's hard to grasp that it has really been 10 years and sometimes I still picture him at home propped up with pillows in his recliner, cracking jokes with my mom, and dozing while watching his 'huskers play.
The song "Wake me up when September ends" by Green Day was written by the lead singer who lost his father on September 10, 1982 when he was only 10 years old. It was really popular and played all the time on the radio between years 6 and 7 of being without my dad. It instantly became "my song" for him, especially the line:
Like my father's come to pass
Seven years has gone so fast
Wake me up when September ends
I can't yet imagine what it will be like at twenty (another verse in the song)...
I'm still thinking of and remembering you every day, Dad. You are missed more than I ever thought was possible. Loving you today and always...
34 comments:
That was really hard to read.
There were a lot of echoes of when my Mum died in hospital. I can't write about that day yet, i don't know if I'll ever be that brave.
Take care.
Sending gentle hugs your way.
When my M's dad died he was home through Hospice. My nephew asked if he'd missed the angels, it broke my heart. I'm sorry you had to experience a loss so painful B, but I am happy for you that you had a relationship that made it that painful to see him go. ((HUGS))
Crying over here. With you. And for you.
Thank you for sharing that. I lost my dad in January, 2000 after a sudden aneurism. He was in a coma for 3 weeks before we had to make the decision to take him off life support. Knowing my dad's wishes, it wasn't a hard decision but it still haunts me. I can remember it like it was yesterday.
We'll always miss those we loved and have to find comfort in our memories of them.
So sorry and hoping that you find peace. {{hugs}}
Big hugs, Brenda...
So sad. These anniversaries are so hard. Thinking of you.
This is such a moving post. Thank you for sharing. There are parts of my childhood that are too painful to talk about, even 20 years later, but writing about them has helped me heal. You are in my thoughts today. Take care.
Your pain is something very familiar to me, but also so unfamiliar. This tribute to your dad reminds me to treasure what I have each and every day, so thank you kindly for this gentle reminder. Your love for your dad shines through this post loud and clear. I'm keeping you close to my heart. ((HUGS))
I went back and read the story of your time together growing up as well. I hope that those memories shine brightly when the pain hits. It sounds like you guys had a beautiful relationship! I know that he watches over you proudly every day. Big hugs to you, B!
I know that must have been an emotionally difficult post to write. I'm so glad you felt able to share this memory with us. I think we've all been there in one way or another, and I know that in our family the inappropriate jokes are the only things that get us through these times.
This was such an emotional post - heartwrenching but strangely calming at the same time. The absolute certainty of your feelings for your father come through as such strong love.
I'll echo Flying Monkeys' comment and say that it's wonderful that you had such a close relationship with him, and that you see his qualities in yourself. I wish you could be telling us about so many more years with him, but I'm glad you got to share the time you did - I can see how much it has made you the determined and sensitive person that you are as a writer, too.
xxx,
Lorraine
I was brought to tears by the end of your post, Brenda.
Am thinking of you on the anniversary of your father's passing and wishing you sweet memories of your dad.
I thank you for the gentle reminder, too, to appreciate what we have.
That was a beautiful post...still crying my eyes out. Hugs.
Wow...as hard as that was to read, I can't imagine how hard it was to write.
Sending you lots of love, babe.
Oh Brenda. Thank you for sharing this with us.
The emotions you experienced reminded me so much of my own, as I had to say goodbye to my Grammy a few years ago. It's so, so difficult to say goodbye.
And I'm sorry that your dear dad was taken from you so early in life. It's not fair.
T's dad has had MS for many years now (since T was a baby). He's still able to walk, but his range of motion is quickly declining. As is his emotional state. I know that T worries about him every day. It's such a frustrating disease.
Remembering your dad with you....
Brenda.
I can hardly type because I'm too blurred with tears.
Of course I can feel your pain...I'm still in the middle of it.
There's really nothing to say, except that your comments lately have been so comforting to me because I know that, on this front too, you really get it. I wish things could have been different--for both of our fathers--but I am glad you have such wonderful memories of him.
Thinking of you and giving you a gentle, peaceful hug.
Sending hugs your way.
Many many hugs coming your way Brenda. Thanks for sharing this post. You obviously had such a great relationship with your dad.
Remembering your dad with you...
Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this. I lost my mother September 3, 2001 and know how much that song rings true for me as well. I can't understand the pain in your heart but I can relate to wanting an entire month to just dissappear into thin air. Your father would be so proud. I have no doubt about that.
Oh B, I've never been through anything as hard as this. I'm so sorry for your loss.
Thanks for sharing this moving story about your dad. I can tell that you developed a great capacity for empathy because of your relationship with him. I never really listened to that Green Day song, but love it even more knowing the story behind it. Anniversaries seem to bring up a 'nother layer of grief. Big hugs!!
Thank you again for sharing. I can share in some shades of your story with the loss of my mother. Watching the detoriation, feeling the anger, watching the last few moments in the hospital.
So wrong, so unfair. I'm sorry. Sorry for both of us and anyone else that deals with this type of pain.
I've always loved that song, but never though much of the possible stories behind it.
As i was reading this, your email came in that you left a comment, i swear while i was on your blog. You are such a good friend and I think of your father today....
Brenda,
I'm sorry it was such a hard day for you. Your love for your dad really shines through what you wrote. I'm sorry his loss continues to be so painful. I can only imagine...many many hugs to you.
Wendy
Brenda, I'm so sorry you lost your dad at such a young age. It's obvious how much you loved him. You've really had some rough patches in your life. I bet that's why you're so strong today. Thanks for your supportive comments while you're going through such a painful time. Always thinking of you!
Oh, Brenda, my heart aches for you. While I still have both of my parents, they are in very poor health and have been for many years and I am just bracing myself for that goodbye. I know it will be the hardest thing that will ever come to pass and so I can only imagine where you are today.
Well, it just so happens that I wrote this on October 1st, so September is over, but I would imagine that the loss of your lovely Dad is with you everyday. The more I read about him, the more I realize what a great man he was. I am sure he is so proud of your strength and bravery. Thinking of you...
Hey B, catching up, wanted to send my hugs....this was heart-wrenching for me to read, cannot imagine your pain in writing. What an awesome tribute to your Dad. Hope you are doing okay sweetie.
I don't have anything brilliant or witty to say, but I wanted to say that I am still reading and still listening to what you have to say.
B,
Thanks for sharing your journey...my computer has been a bit troublesome so I've been slow on checking in on blogs. Tears fill my eyes as I read your words. Thank you...thank you for your honesty and for such an amazing, beautiful tribute to your Dad.
Thanks too for all the encouragement you've given me...there are no words perfect enough, but THANK YOU!
Love,
d
Gosh, did I really not comment on this post?! I remember reading it, and crying--maybe I was in too much of my own "wake me up when September ends" space to be able to say much... I meant to say something though, and I'm sorry that I'm just now commenting.
As for "learning nonlinear partial differential equations...while grieving the loss of your father"--well, I can barely say that much less imagine doing it! You amaze me. So not only do you write beautifully, but you also have a scientific mind!
I'm glad September is over. I hope October is an easier month for you.
xxoo
Been thinking of you since September. I hope you're doing ok. Wanted to wish you happy birthday and wherever you are, do know that you have a friend down under thinking of you.
xoxo,
P
I've been thinking about you often lately, and I hope you are doing well. I have a new computer and I lost your email in the change so I'm leaving this comment hoping it will find you. You've been silent for a while now although I see that you have a "private side" going as well. I hope you are posting and processing all sorts of good things there. I guess the point here is just to let you know that you are missed. Sending you lots of {{hugs}} Sweet Brenda.
Post a Comment