About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

a breather from the heavy stuff

Wow, I totally feel wrapped in a hug from the comments you all left on my last post. Who needs a casserole when you have a community like this? Thanks for all your kind words, hugs, tears, acknowledgement, and understanding. I am overwhelmed (in a very good way) to see others show up from links on your own blogs too. Thank you. Really, thank you. The balloon release was a good step forward for us and feeling the blog love really made it all feel so much more "real" and accepted.

Because I don't want to keep everything so emotional here all the time, I thought I would lighten the mood and share a quick (who am I kidding?) story about a doctor appointment I had while I was out on my blogosphere break.

Apologies to those of you who have already heard this...



The date: June 25, 2009

The time: ~3:20PM

The location: U.CLA Medical Center (downtown LA)

The really really old background: The office I go to is a hodge-podge of ob/gyn specialties including infertility and urogynocology (why I'm now there). It is the same office (and by office I mean, the exact same office staff and waiting room) we started our infertility treatments in and where we did our lone disaster of an IUI. Going there somewhat takes my breath away sometimes on those really "off" days and I have haphazardly run into my old RE 3 times now and gotten that "Don't I know you look?" each time (to which I completely ignore).

The way too much information long term background: My bladder is screwed up...apparently really screwed up I'm learning. The medical term for it is Interstitial Cystitis (or Painful Bladder Syndrome). The result is chronic bladder pain (feels like a fire breathing inferno in my pelvic region) with frequency and urgency (because the pain wasn't fun enough on it's own). My "choice" was to treat it naturally (physical therapy and diet modification - neither of which were effective) until we were done attempting to make babies. Now, I am able to take pain meds (9 little nerve pain pills a day) along with receiving bladder instillations (a cocktail of meds mixed in an IV bag and delivered to my bladder by way of a catheter).

The appointment before background: My previous appointment was a horrifying experience of being taught to self-catheterize myself (when we still thought my insurance was even remotely worth a shit and I could do these treatments in the privacy of my own home). I brought the hubby for moral support which meant there were 3 people (M, doctor, nurse) staring at my lady bits. Okay so this part was nothing new. The horrifying part was that they made me look too. Ewww. Then 2 of those people played "director" by holding a mirror to all my glory and telling me exactly where to touch myself while pointing out which hole this tube should go in. OMG, so not fun. I will never complain about being on the hidden side of the paper cover-up again after this. Seriously, this was a whole new level of humiliation.

The weekend before background: I went kayaking with a girlfriend and sunburned the hell out of my legs. In fact, I think hell might be cooler. Layers upon layers continued to peel for 3 weeks, my feet were so swollen that I could only wear flip-flops, and my right front calf had blisters so bad it was considered a "major" second degree burn which "they" recommend seeking immediate medical attention for. Right. Apparently one of the very rare side effects to my pain med is sun sensitivity. On that crap side of statistics again I guess. Really that would have been a nice warning BEFOREHAND. Yes, I was wearing (and reapplying) SPF 30...

The urogyno doctor: HAWT (In no way shape or form is this important for the story, but damn...)

The story (finally, huh?): I arrived outside U.CLA after escaping work early (feat #1), trekking 10 min out to the parking lot in 100+ degree heat with my nasty sunburn (feat #2), and battling 45+min of traffic to get downtown (feat #3). The right-hand turning lanes around U.CLA were walls of news and radio vans with giant satellites. There were crowds of people and media forming on the grass, helicopters flying overhead, and traffic directors in full force.

The extra hiccup of all the commotion already had me late for my appointment and I could tell from all the nervous excitement from everyone inside that "something big" was going on. Duh, obviously. I asked the receptionist what all the hub-bub was about and she whispered, "xxx Jackson died."

"Who?" as I missed the first name.

"Michael Jackson had a heart attack and died here today."

"Oh. Wow." Fuck, I am never going to get out of this place now.

His time of death was 2:29PM, less than an hour before I arrived.

I got called back for vitals and to drain my bladder (on my own thank you very much). I headed into the examining room and felt so nice and proud of myself for wearing a comfy dress (mandatory attire for leg blisters) requiring just a drop of the duds and a kick-off of the flip flops.

I hopped up on the table, covered up with the paper blanket, and waited...

Thirty short seconds into my wait, the fire alarm goes off.

La La La La. This isn't happening. Just sit here.

I hear 2 nurses outside saying that we need to go. "Well I have a patient in here."

You tell her, Lissa. We're just going to do this procedure real quick-like and I'll be on my way.

Door opens. "Sorry, Brenda, but we need to evacuate. Please get dressed."

Fuck.

In my effort to quickly get the duds back in place I managed to tear open a couple of those leg blisters which caused the release of enough expletives to make even the most seasoned of sailors blush.

Of course the elevator was off limits so I hobbled down the stairwell in all my leg oozing glory with the masses of people and into the grassy knoll of lunatics MJ fans and cameras galore. I try to call M because "Really?", but he was stuck in a meeting and couldn't talk. I notice one too many little camcorders scanning the area and found a place out of the beaten path trying to avoid ending up on You Tube.

After 20 minutes of firetruck fiasco added to the mix, we were allowed back inside.

Re-empty bladder. (Don't judge. Those dribbles are necessary.) Undress attempt #2. Back on table. Here we go.

Nurse and doctor enter. Doctor looks at the catheter the nurse chose and asked her to get the much smaller red one instead. As she left, he motioned with outstretched hands and wide eyes how large the monster was that she wanted to insert.

To get the solution from the IV bag into the catheter, a giant 60cc syringe is placed into the top of the catheter to act as a funnel, a cap on the bag is cut open, and the solution is dumped in. Easy peasy.

Nurse cut the cap, proceeded to spill part of the solution on my lady bits and subsequently up my butt crack.

My cell phone was now ringing from inside my purse over on the chair. I know it is M trying to figure out what is going on, but I am clearly in no position to answer.

The solution wasn't draining so she used the syringe plunger to push it in while I bit my tongue wanting to expain this wonderful thing called gravity. Because the syringe is only 60ccs and the bag o' meds is 100ccs, there was more to go. Instead of removing the entire syringe, she tried to just pull out the plunger. Doctor so patiently and kindly (but a bit excitedly) tells her to stop because she is about to suction all the solution that just went into my bladder right back out.

Despite the voices in my head telling me to just take over the part of the nurse because they showed me how to do this part already and I am certain I am more competent, I kept quiet and managed not to kick anyone in the teeth. Major accomplishment for me at this stage of the game.

I arrived in the parking garage, paid my $11 crackhead fee, and proceeded to sit in line for 45 minutes to move 1 level up to the street. Of course, now I had no cell phone reception and was left to amuse myself watching a few nut jobs in the garage.

Case #1 involved a guy just entering the garage. He stopped opposite me and asked if there was another way out of here, road raging off when I said "I don't know". Ummmm, sure buddy. I know all the secret passageways, but chose to sit in this line anyway for "fun".

Case #2 involved a woman getting out of her car to scream at the man who she claimed didn't let her in. We were barely moving AT ALL. I highly doubt being one car earlier in the lineup was going to help. I rolled my window up after this one.

Case #3 involved a man trying to enter the line from the spot his car had been parked in. Crazy lady #2 refused to let him in and began screaming out her window that she didn't care and had been waiting too damn long already.

Ahhh yes, lovely downtown LA.

When I finally arrived back to the masses of people, there were morons MJ fans everywhere, wandering across the streets despite the attempts of traffic directors to keep them at bay.

I rolled my windows down a bit to listen to people dramatically exclaiming they "couldn't believe Michael was really gone..." while hugging one another.

Windows went back up to mute my uncontrollable laughter because I'm sure you all were so close prior to his death. Come on, people.

In the drama of it all, I managed to miss my on ramp and had to turn around in the midst of rush hour traffic all while trying to find a radio station that was not doing an MJ tribute. I was so over this day already.

Finally 1.5 hours and many rocking ipod tunes later I pulled into our driveway suddenly feeling the most sane I had in months.

25 comments:

A said...

OMGOSH! What a day! I have IC as well and hate that you have had to go through so much because of it! Im with you on the "over MJ's death before it even happened" stand :) Im really glad youre back from your break! Ive been wondering how you are! :)

Cajun Cutie said...

incredible!

Lisa said...

What a crazy day! Sheesh! From incompetent nurse to parking lot road rage in the midst of MJ mania. Wow. You deserve a medal for making it out alive! I'm glad you kept your humorous perspective. :)

Phoebe said...

You sure know how to do things in style, LOL!! Sorry about all the IC hell, but I wouldn't have been laughing my ass off if you didn't have to go through this!

Flying Monkeys said...

I really shouldn't laugh at your misfortune but I totally am because really? I bet the hawt doc would have thought it was appropriate for you to kick the stupid nurse. I'm sorry B, I just have spasms that cause urgency-like right freakin' now OMG I'm going to pee my pants, wait maybe I did, no I don't think so, what next? urgency-I can't imagine if the burning and cathing was involved too. Are you at least getting relief from the new meds and flushes?

Meg. said...

As soon as you mentioned which day your appointment was, I immediately thought, "Oh no. Michael Jackson."

I'm so sorry you had to wade your way through that madness. I wish I would have been there with you. Ah, the comments we would have come up with! =)

And may I just say that you're an absolute TROOPER for being able to self-catheterize??? I'm glad that there are ways for you to keep your symptoms under control.....but I wish they were less, um, involved. =)

RB said...

Whew! I'm exhausted just reading about that day! I hope you have many more sane days, just without all of the insanity that precedes it :)

'Murgdan' said...

Bwhahahahaha! Ok. Now THAT is a doctor's appointment.

Excellent.

glad you weren't hurt in the parking garage violence.

I hate traffic.

Brenna said...

OH.MY. Hilarious after the fact, but at the time I'm sure my blood pressure would've been through the roof!

I'd forgotten the connection between your dad's passing and our boys. So they're in good company, then. I'll be thinking about you as the big anniversary approaches.

xxoo
B

Momasita said...

Brenda- How do these things happen to you?! That is a fabulous story. I'm so sorry about the blisters and that you have to go through this crap. But, I guess if you're going to have to go through it you might as well get a good story out of it!

Jill M. said...

You are one strong woman! You go through more crap than any one person should.

Chelle said...

yowza! What a day. What an incredibly craptastic day!

bb said...

"My previous appointment was a horrifying experience of being taught to self-catheterize myself... " Holy freakin' crap! I can't even begin to imagine this scenario.

And you were there. You can always say, "I was there the day the king-o-freak died."

danbnan said...

OMG...seriously, gotta' love being on "that side" of the percentage, over and over. Glad you can laugh about it now though. On the burn...ouch...I too was not told about sun sensitivity with a med I was on and received 2nd degree blistering burns to the tops of my hands and feet...uh, the only places affected and with loads o' sunscreen too. Good times. :)

Tara said...

OMG! Gotta love nurses who have no freaking clue. I can't believe you were at the hospital MJ was at...I bet there were some total freakshows there!!! INSANE!!! You were by far, the most sane person in the vicinity, I am vertain!!!

Liz said...

Brilliant when nurses are that inept. Thank goodness the Doc was around to prevent her using the super-sized catheter!

B and D said...

IC stinks!! I'm sorry you have to deal with that on top of everything else. And I wish that your day hadn't gone that way, although I am cracking up at the sequence of events and the amount of morons you had to contend with in such a short time span! I would have had a fit in the parking garage. Traffic makes me INSANE! That's part of the reason I had to quit my job... Ha ha- just kidding! Sort of... :)

BTW- I am so bummed because I was inches from being in your neck of the woods w/B on a business trip last week, but it didn't work out and I had to stay home. Maybe another time! And thanks for checking in on my side!!

Deathstar said...

ICLW.
That sounds like the day from hell if I've ever heard one - you poor thing. I can't believe you can self cather - I can't even say it - brrr!

DAVs said...

OMG. I don't use that little diddy often but this called for it.

I am sorry for all you went through, but you captured the humorous part of it with this story quite well.

You'll always know where you were when you heard about MJ's death :)

Bluebird said...

I know you *intended* that to be a breather. . . But that totally made me want to cry for you! I could *feel* the tension in my chest - ugh!

Oh, p.s. I am so not a patient person, if not already obvious ;)

Heather said...

I found your journal a few days ago and can relate to your IF journey.

I love that you have a sense of humor about things. I had a cystocopy for recurrent UTIs that I suspect were caused by endo and it was one of the worst tests I've had to date. I still haven't found the humor in it.

Also, you've confirmed that LA has an many nut jobs as South Florida! LOL!

Heather

Petrucia said...

sorry you had to go through all this, but it made for a great story. ;)

Rambler said...

LMAO at all the people's antics in the garage and then the nurse's adept hand during the procedure. I'm sorry you have to go through som much hassle for this relief (the "director" bit? ACCK! Like its not bad enough to have your hips in the air for everything else you have gone through).

Thanks for writing this up and positing. I learned a lot. Like how you should keep your car windows closed when in a parking garage.

Erin said...

You are the original "Pretty Young Thing"! I am moonwalking over here as I laugh at your KRAZY day... just another day in the life of Brenda.

Love ya, B!
And I miss Jacko, too! :)

Sue said...

Um, wow. Cringe. cringe. and cringe again. Seriously, what an awful day. I am so sorry you have to go through all of that in the first place...then add all the mayhem and useless nurses....um, glad you got home safe;-)