While we haven't been focusing on a plan for our next steps toward parenthood right now, we have been making other plans and putting them into action. We have done a great deal of much needed landscaping and gardening and created a couple of outdoor living spaces. We have been taking time for each other with long scenic drives to the beach and different places to eat out. We have been researching and planning how to build a small goldfish pond for our courtyard area which we hope to put into action soon. I have also started running again......
The common thread to these activities is that they have been just us and have been great for our relationship and focus right now. We are enginerds tried and true and love figuring out new projects that we can hone in on, implement, and finish ourselves.
Where I struggle the most is when we add other people to the mix. I know that M and I can't just isolate ourselves for good (even though the thought to disappear to a secluded island has crossed my mind) so we attempt to make plans with other people to just force
It is the same thing every time. We make plans and no matter how excited I am about the plans or the people we are getting together with, as the day approaches I start to dread being "social" and wearing my broken smile. I get very anxious the night before and come up with crazy excuses in my head as to how
When our neighbor J called us to come over to his place that evening for dinner, I accepted and then instantly began feeling that pang of dread. After work, I headed to my therapy appointment and talked a bit about these plans and some other plans we have made for future weekends and my instant reluctance to want to keep them. It seems it is likely the depression talking and the anxiety from previous disaster gatherings that keep this reoccurring thought process. I mean, how many events can you go to and get "the questions" or get stuck in conversations that turn to pregnancy, babies, and kids and all you have to share are stories about your sibling's children or your friend's children because it's better than not fitting in at all.........
After therapy, I made it home in time to fix my face and head out the door. We didn't even make it to J's house before another previous neighbor (house owners who are renting out their house) stopped us to introduce us to the new tenants who are adding another small child to our neighborhood and "oh, by the way old neighbors are expecting #2". Love my M who reminded me that at least they don't live across the street anymore so we won't have to watch it all go down this time around. (-;
As soon as we walked into J's house he offered up drinks. He instantly knows that M wants a beer, but I rarely drink because it flares my IC. I went for the wine anyway and sucked down 4 Prelief in hopes of keeping things to a mild fire. My ulterior wine motive was also to subtly let the one neighbor who knew about CCRM that it was a bust.
As usual with this group we were the youngest ones there with most in their late 40's to early 50's. It is a weird kind of comfort when we get together as I know there will be no baby bumps, babies, or even small children.
J's cousin was visiting from Canada again and we hit it off quite well the first time we met as we share a similar outlook and value system on many things. The 2 of us were talking about different cultures and she mentioned that when they adopted their infant (now 19 year old) daughter from P.eru that she spent 3 months there before bringing her home. The other 8 people in the room somehow faded away at this point as I could tell from the familiar look on her face that she was a sister.
After a bit of P.eru talk I asked her what drew them there and how they came to choose international adoption. She talked about her "surgeries" for trying to get pregnant and many failed domestic matches. It was her husband who did the research for international adoption and started the process as she was still "recovering" from all they had been through. I could still see it in her face (likely lessened over the last 20 years), but still very much real all over again as she talked about it.....being in the hospital recovering after surgery with one of her 10th grade students behind the curtain next to her just after giving birth, failed matches that nearly caused her to quit it all... the years, the struggle, the losses, the pain.
She kept saying, "I don't know why I'm telling you all this. I rarely ever talk about it. I swear it isn't the wine...." Maybe it was the quietness that we shared when the others started talking about family members who had given birth to 8 kids in 9 years and how they couldn't imagine....... because once (or twice) was enough. Maybe she saw the "look" M and I shared from across the table as we let each other know we were there for each other no matter where else the conversation went. Maybe she noticed the tears building in my eyes at the first mention of adoption.
Whatever it was, she somehow knew it was just what I needed that night.
I told her we are at the beginning stages* of considering adoption after our multiple failed "surgeries". It was hard to get it out because I'm not fully there yet, but somehow she made it okay. She told me not to be scared of domestic because so much has changed since they tried it. She also said that when we found our way we would know it. She wished me well and we shared a big hug.
When I thanked her, the soft pause and look in her eyes was that of someone who really just "got it"......I spoke so very little, yet felt so completely understood in that simple moment.
Her only regret.......that they hadn't done it sooner so they could adopt a second child as a sibling for their daughter.
Thanks, MC for making me feel "normal" with where I am today when I really needed it most.
*This should probably say pre-beginning stages. We are really only talking around it at this point. Hop on over to Fertility Authority to read our first pre-beginning-not-really-talking-about-it-but-still-kinda-talking-around-it adoption conversation.
34 comments:
oh sweetie...i can relate to the "running" from social situations. somehow life would be SO much easier if it could just be "us"....
i'm glad you found someone who stands on common ground. i know what a blessing and a gift that is.
you are never far from my thoughts....praying for you and M as you continue to walk this journey no matter where it takes you.
thank you, yet again- we thought we were the only ones who make plans and then make plans to unmake the plans!!!!
thanks also for the inspiration, as always, I love the way you describe the time with your dh (and fellow 'enginerd'!!!!) and it reminds me of what is in order for us...I am glad we collided on this journey.
Beautiful post Brenda...
I am glad to hear that you & M are doing so many projects and going on little adventures together.
You sound more like yourself in this post and it is so good to have you back!
I wish you all the best!
I'll remember this story the next time I'm hedging on whether or not to go out and be social. Never know when we're going to meet someone we're supposed to meet out there in the great wide world...I'm glad for you, it sounds like you made a good connection at just the right time. You and your DH never cease to amaze me, by the way, with all of your schemes and energy! I wish DH and I had half your momentum.
I'm so glad you're doing little things with your DH that bring you joy.
I also know about that whole "instant connection" thing with another IFer. I'm glad you had that. I also know what it means to sorta kinda maybe be talking about *something* but not really wanting to talk about it.
Hang in there, I'm always wishing you well!
I so admire your strength, to get up and go to what seems like a small thing, a gathering at a neighbours, but really, it's not. You were being rewarded for your good behaviour by having a fellow kindered spirit there who shared her story with you. I'm glad you had a positive experience there and are getting some quality time with your DH.
So glad you met someone at that awkward event who could give you something you needed. No matter what path you end up on. It is such a comfort to find someone who understands (at least a bit) the road we're traveling. I am hoping your way becomes more clear soon! Good luck.
I do the same thing all the time. I make plans because I feel like I should be more social and then I dread every minute leading up to the actual event. Sometimes it's really good and then others - not so good.
It's so amazing to run into someone like that by chance. You really needed that.
It's amazing that you ran into a sister at that get together. I'm glad you had someone that you could talk to that completely gets what we all are going/have gone through.
Brenda - I am so glad that MC was there at that get together and that you got to spend time talking about what you've been through. Perfect timing to meet her, huh? I'm so glad that she was there. It really does help so much to talk with someone who has been through it all, too. (Not that anyone wishes IF on anyone else; it's just good to know that others get it.)
I'm glad you and M have been doing things together, too. It's so nice, isn't it? I'll bet you feel really good about all of the things you've accomplished around your yard/house, too. It certainly sounds like it from your writing!
I do understand how it's hard to get together with others, especially at this point, for you. All of the conversations you'd like to avoid, but can't. All of the questions about starting a family.
I'm just glad that J's cousin was there for you. It's so much easier when someone understands.
If I believed in fate ...
Sounds like you met the right person at the right time.
Brenda, can't tell you how happy this story makes me. Just when you need it most... a break.
Argh! You are breaking me down woman! I am too emotional to say anything more...
It is truly a gift to be with someone who really gets what you've been through without judgment. I felt that at the adoption conference we went to a few weeks ago. I was in a room full of women who had gone through the fires of infertility and, like me, come out with empty arms. They were all in the process of adopting. How often do we get to not have to explain ourselves? I'm so glad that MC was there when you needed her. I've been a bad blog commenter lately, but please know you are often in my thoughts.
Don't you just love it when you come across someone who just "gets" it? I think that there was definitely some divine intervention going on there.
This post made me all teary...
:-) I was waiting to hear this. I feel so excited for you and all your pre-beginnings. I want you to begin something that will finally have a happy ending.
Just as with every part of this journey, you'll take things as they come and make decisions when you're ready. In the mean time, there is something so magical in finding a sister and connecting with someone who gets it, especially if it is unexpected.
It is amazing what one true interaction can do to bolster your reserves. Just a little recognition can be truly meaningful.
That's what you give us, too, with your posts.
I read what you wrote on Fertility Journal and funny you should mention redwine-cheetos—fudgebrownie coma cuz that's how it is in the hamster wheel of infertility treatment madness. So, you hit it on the nail, AGAIN, as always.
I want you to know that whatever steps you take, just know that you have a friend all the way down under, thinking of you and praying for you everyday and singing,
I'll be there for you
These five words I swear to you
I'LL BE THERE FOR YOOOOOOOOOOOOU!
Hugs hugs hugs
You post made me cry. I think it is wonderful that you got rewarded for making yourself get out and be 'social' but it still hurts me that you (and the woman you were talking to) have had to go through so much. I know life isn't fair but it still makes me angry when I get to see how unfair it really is.
DH and I have talked about adoption a lot and it always freaks me out - not the adopting part at all - just the paperwork, money, politics of it all. It just seems so unreachable. Why does IVF just seem so much easier to me - but then, after 7 of them, maybe I really am fooling myself that this is the easier route? Anyway, I'm glad you are getting out (I find it hard too and I'm still in the almost-hopeful stage) and I'm glad it turned out better than expected.
B, I'm so proud of you for getting out there and trying to move forward. It may take baby steps, but each step is an accomplishment.
I read your post on that website and I love how you can write about sad stuff in such a humorous way.
Hugs!
Oh stupid me, I wasn't even thinking when I said "baby steps", I'm sorry about that! =(
(I deleted me previous post because I can't spell!)
I love that you are getting to spend quality time with M on your little projects - I think it's totally okay to make a little cacoon around the two of you right now, it's okay that you don't want to be social. You have to do whats good for you right now, and enjoying your surroundings and making them stress free is important. It won't be like this forever, we have to hope that we will be more like our old selves again in time. I could have written your post about the 'us time' and house improvements, we are going though similar situations right now in making our environment relaxing.
I'm so happy you had a good time at the dinner and met someone who 'gets it'. We all need poeple like that in real life, I wish I could find someone like that.
I think of you often and wish you peace as you begin to think about beginning the next part of your journey :)
I'm so glad you found someone who gets it to talk to, however briefly.
I'm grateful that you went so that you could make that connection.
Thinking of you!
I'm glad to hear you and M are connecting. I couldn't bear to think that it was all just a wine-and-cheetos existence for you. Sounds like you found a mentor, someone who had been through it all before and came out of it alright. I'm so glad there are these touching moments for you.
I was so glad to read of this chance encounter for you. Just wonderful.
I'm glad you found a friend in her that evening. I'm happy she made your evening more bearable.
Maybe it was all meant to happen the way it did....
There is something remarkable about meeting someone who "gets" you. It's even more remarkable to know that they understand you when you haven't even said a word. I hope that your new friend's wisdom and outcome help in the road ahead.
Brenda-I'm so glad you were able to connect to your friend. It helps to be able to talk with someone who knows where you've been.
I'm also happy to hear that you and DH are doing so many house projects and going out together.
Wishing you many more good days ahead!
Yes, we definitely need to get together! Email me at lazyhighhockatgmail.com
Post a Comment