About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Monday, December 29, 2008

Inside jokes I never wanted to know

M and I have a few "jokes" between the 2 of us that help us get through certain situations or those extra bad days. I know to the outside world (okay, maybe just the fertile world) these jokes would not make much sense or invoke an "OMG!!" or an "Awwwwwww....".

A few of my favorites:

When we are stuck in the land of mommy and strollerville at any of our local stores or the park, we pull out the "I'll distract the mom. You grab the baby."

I get how unfunny and horrific this might sound to any mom out there. Of course we aren't serious (most days) - totally kidding again, but somehow it helps us to laugh our way past.

*~*~*~*

There is a birth control commercial that is on all the time with ladies singing and doing synchronized swimming....."Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc..........."

Me to M: "Hmmm, do you think I should stop taking those for our next IVF cycle?"

M: First looking confused and then when he figured out it was a BCP commercial: "Nice........damn, that was pretty good. Even if I had thought of it, I wouldn't have said it out loud."

Me: "Smart man. Smart man."

*~*~*~*

M had a pair of jeans that were getting pretty holey and ragged.

M: "I'm gonna pitch these."

Me: "You could just keep 'em to work outside or in the garage."

M: "I've got enough others for that."

Me: "You can't just throw things away because their ovaries don't work."

M: "I really don't know what to do with you anymore."


Please tell me we aren't the only ones with this kind of twisted repertoire.

25 comments:

Erika said...

I love it! I know for a fact you're not the only one with wicked inside jokes! ;-)

'Murgdan' said...

Nope. You aren't the only ones... :-) "You can't throw things out just because thier ovaries don't work"...love it.

Anonymous said...

Brenda love your sense of humour. I often make my DH read your posts just because you say things so beautifully.

Wishing you all the best for the year ahead.

DAVs said...

Those are hilarious! You aren't the only ones. Many times, when we're at the end of our infertility rope, one of us will say "It's time to start taking crack. Or prostituting. Or stripping. Or lose our jobs, our homes, and gamble away all our money. Because THEN we'd probably conceive." Har har.

Momasita said...

That's pretty funny. I don't think we have any of those yet. I'll have to give it a little more thought.

Emily said...

Love it!! We have those too, I can't think of any right now, they are usually situational I guess.

Thanks for sharing!

Just Another Mother said...

I was LOL at the distracting the mom and taking the baby. That's hilarious!

DH and I try to use humor to get through IF. I'll have to tell him about some of these. He'll love 'em.

Daberath said...

Too funny! I enjoyed reading these....whatever makes you feel better and gives you a good laugh is totally okay!

Donna said...

We completely have our own set of jokes realted to IF and the loss of our daughter. Anyone else would be shocked to hear them - but to us - a little comedy covers up a lot of tears.

RB said...

You are not alone in your wicked jokes! :) When DH and I see cute kids (and not all are cute!) he'll say, "Which one do you want me to kidnap?"

Pepper said...

Color me twisted as well 'cuz this post cracked me up. :-)

Chelle said...

LOL! We have the "distract the mom, I'll grab the baby" one too! haha!

Anonymous said...

No jokes of our own, but I love yours.

Polly Gamwich said...

Bwahh!! Ha! Ha!!!

I love the baby stealing! I don't joke about that one out loud as I'm sure I'll scare people ... but I'm glad I'm not alone. And the jeans with the bad ovaries ... TOO FREAKIN FUNNY!

That gave Kevin a laugh too.

And I love your tickers btw *wink, wink* ... YAY!

Rebel With.A.Cause said...

Oh those are cute!!

We have some bad ones to, so no you aren't alone... it seems the longer you fight IF the weirder ways you have to come up to cope with the pain.

Hugs sweetie,
Rebel

Wendy said...

We joke like that a lot! I think we almost have to or we would go crazy. I liked the throwing the ovaries out one...very funny!

Phoebe said...

I love the first one! I used to have a sense of humor about it all, but I've pretty much lost it. Trauma will do that to you. It's all I can do to keep from hyperventilating when I go to the RE's office.

Just Me. said...

HAHAHAHA :)

We have our own jokes as well....babes would cover his mouth with his right hand whenever he says, JUST RELAX.. and I give him that look, JUST YOU WAIT, U'RE GONNA GET IT.. BIG TIME..

And we have our own secret code too: i'd wrinkle my nose whenever somebody irritates me with those questions/comments. :)

Happy New Year's B. 2009, here we come!!! Hugs.

MRS. ERIN SMITH said...

I would shout that baby stealing joke from the rooftops. Maybe the moms and dads I see hitting and screaming at their children in Target would not take their blessing for granted if they realized the desperation others.

Of course I know you're joking, but this is how I feel most days.

:)

Jill said...

You two are so cute. I'm so glad you have each other. What a strong marriage. We laugh a lot as well. It helps so much! Happy New Year Brenda. I hope 2009 is a great year for you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Brenda,

I just wanted to wish you and DH a Happy New Year!

I pray that 2009 will bring you much joy and laughter, the already loved and longed for baby M(s). Many blessings, peace, prosperity, wisdom and great health to you and yours.

*hugs*
Anna

Retro Girl said...

Those are great! Do you mind if I steal a couple to lighten our mood? :-)

Hope you have a good New Year's Day...may 2009 bring wonderful joys - to us all!

Angie said...

With you on this! We have to find humor and laugh in our struggles or we might go crazy! (Or are we already there?!?! LOL) I have an inside joke w/ a few friends - 1 infertile and 1 fertile - we live in amish country and joke that we'll just *kidn.ap* an amish kid or 2 for each of us because they would never notice...i know, i know, we are BAD! ;-) But it's nice to be able to joke w/ people who can understand your wicked humor! Glad your DH shares that w/ you!

Karen said...

I love it! The "grab the kid" joke is one of ours. DH jokes about coming home from work with a kid (he's a cop and sees some tough situations). I guess sometimes you just have to laugh. I think it makes it all hurt a little less. Wishing you well in the new year.

Claudia said...

Ours are mostly about our attempts to practise adoption attachment parenting on the cat. Hugely funny (to us) but not exactly the kind of things we want to say when we have visitors!