About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Snarky Thanksgiving List

With Thanksgiving quickly approaching, I thought it would be appropriate to share some of the things I am thankful for this year. Yes, I am eternally grateful for M, our furbabies, our families, our friends, our home, our jobs, our health, etc. I think deep down these are on all of our thankful lists.

This list is one of those that may be a bit off the beaten path. It includes thoughts that are normally only stuck in my head and filtered before they reach my mouth. This is my secret sarcastic holiday thankful list. I'm sharing because I know you all "get it".


As a side note and precursor, M and I are spending all of our holidays away from our families (the ones where we are the only childless sibling on both sides) this year due to my work schedule.

*~*~*~*

I am thankful that we don't have to try to maneuver packing obnoxious talking Christmas toys and bulky sweaters into a couple tiny carry ons, battling holiday traffic, airport parking, and flight delays to get to a holiday destination with sub-zero temperatures and torture racks (futons and hide-a-beds) for our sleeping displeasure.

I am thankful that M and I will get to spend our Christmas with just the 2 of us, doing whatever we want, and not adhering to anyone else's schedule "because they have kids".

I am thankful that all but 1 of our nephews and niece are old enough to just want giftcards for Christmas so we can skip the hell that is Toys R Us.

I am thankful that I will not have to sit through 2 separate "Santa" mornings with any of our nephews this year. I love them all dearly, but those are some hard family moments to watch.

I am thankful that we do not have to spend another tense Christmas extravaganza with M's family this year. (The dysfunction of last year's Christmas is still rippling through with several of them not on speaking terms.)

I am thankful that we will not have to help play the part of "Santa" in putting toys together during the late night hours of Christmas eve for children who are not ours.

I am thankful that there will be no newborns of friends or family members shoved my direction this year.

I am thankful that we will not be stuck at my brother's holiday party as the only childless couple again while all of their friend's kids run rampant around his house.

I am thankful that my officemate is now on leave and I can go to work without the daily in-your-face pregnant belly reminder of our own failure to reproduce.

I am thankful that there will be no work holiday party outside of the office (aka work holiday party with kids) because the normal party planners are swamped with our testing schedule.

I am thankful that I won't be getting a call this year from my RE checking in to see if our cycle was successful while I am out shopping with my family. "No really, it was white as snow. I am sure."

I am thankful that M's parents and their little rat-looking, piss dribbling, yippy dogs are not visiting our house for Thanksgiving.

I am thankful that I will not have to face any of my relatives or old classmates back home once again this year to be asked the ever popular, "So are you ever going to have kids?", "You're not getting any younger, ya know?", and "Work isn't all there is to life." type comments.

I am thankful that I will not have to POAS or shove progesterone up my hoo-ha while traveling and staying with relatives.

I am thankful I will not have to watch children's movies or movies like "Knocked Up" this year because that is what others have chosen and think is funny.

I am thankful that I will be working the night shift for our December testing so I can jump in and out of stores as soon as they open (and I just get off work) to avoid all the big holiday evening and weekend crowds.

I am thankful I will not have to entertain others kids this year and still try to be the "fun" aunt while coping with killer cramps and another failed cycle.

I am thankful I will not have to deal with meeting my best friend's newborn (due 12/20) while holding back tears because that kind of stuff just hurts too fucking much right now.

I am thankful that the only holiday party invitation we have accepted this year is one that will have no children and more bottles of wine than our local liquor store.

I am thankful that M wants to just skip the whole big Thanksgiving meal this year and keep it easy because he knows how tired I will be after working the night shift until 7AM on Thanksgiving morning.

I am thankful that when I decline alcohol (because of my effed up bladder) that my brother's friends won't start with the "Are you pregnant comments?" while trying to make me hold a 10-day old baby that was brought to their party - all on the day after testing negative on an IUI cycle.


As hard as the holidays are when you are infertile, I think I have an exceptional amount of things to be thankful for this year. Don't make me feel like a total bitch with these. What's on your snarky list this year?

34 comments:

CJ said...

LOL! That was great! I can't beleive you came up with all of that. I don't blame you one bit girl! Your time will come, but If I was you, I'd feel the same way. I'm Thankful that I can stay with my parents for THanksgiving and not go to my husband's family house. SO boring!! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Just Another Mother said...

I am thankful that none of DH or my siblings have children. I wouldn't know how I'd deal with the holidays if they did. All our families do is discuss which wines to bring. It is a blissful state of being that I am sure won't last too much longer. Just the other day my SIL said, "Within the last three weeks I have been thinking about having kids so much more." Yeah, bite me. Three weeks, try three years. That is going to be a very hard day when she gets knocked up. I'm sure it will take her a month, tops.

All snarkiness aside, the blogosphere is thankful for you and your honesty. You always say the things most of us are feeling. In no way are you bitchy. You have always been a great support to me and so many others. Enjoy your child-free holiday. I'll try to as well.

Just Another Mother said...

Oohh!

I just thought of one:

I am thankful I am not a slave to any child's nap schedule.

Chelle said...

I am thankful that Thanksgiving is at my house this year and I won't feel bad about disiplining my sister's children because it's MY HOUSE damn it and those little tyrants WILL wash their hands.

AND, we eat when I say we eat... we won't be waiting on my sister just because she has two kids and can never make it anywhere on time.

Great Post!

Tara said...

You are funny :) Since we've been taking a break, I jsut don't have any feelings about things . I guess I am just kinda numb and over it. Maybe its the Zoloft...

DAVs said...

I guess, in the end, I'm thankful that all my relatives with kids (OK, my sis and SIL) are demanding once again that holidays are at THEIR house because in the end, it means they won't be romping through MY house destroying things. Because they usually do. And their parents usually don't seem to notice. Don't even let me get started about my brand new master bathroom and the festival of poop that happened in there last year...all the while my SIL just sat on the couch without wondering why the heck her 5 year old was in the freakin' bathroom for thirty minutes!

AWESOME post! Are you a nurse? (I'm a CNS).

Flying Monkeys said...

LMAO! Way to put it in perspective. :)

Emily said...

Love it!!!
Unfortunately I will be doing MANY of those things this year.

Hopefully not the being a fun aunt in spite of a failed ivf part...oh please no, but it is possible.

I am wishing we were boarding a plane to St. Thomas right now like we were 3 yrs ago :( Everything is better with sun, sand and tropical drinks...

Happy Thanksgiving! I'm jealous!!!

Phoebe said...

Oh, this is priceless!

I'm thankful that my husband is Jewish and that Christmas is no big deal to him, and he could give a rat's ass whether we have a Christmas tree or not!!

I can also thank my IVF cycle and W for taking away my worries of having lots of money to burn through for holiday gifts. I'm really going to miss all that holiday shopping, spending hours of driving, parking, and frantic searching for the perfect gifts.

Hope2morrow said...

You are so cute!

I am thankful I can drink my sorrows away this year. I am thankful I can drink on New Year's Eve this year because I am not in the middle of a cycle. I am thankful I can raise my glass and toast to being able to drink right now. I am thankful for alcohol. LOL!

Lorraine said...

Hee-hee! I am actually always a fan of having the holidays to yourself - this year we are going on a Yosemite/ SF trip instead of doing any of the big party gifty things.

I am thankful that you come up with such a perfect mix of sensitive observation and wry comments AND that you are such a kind thoughtful commenter to the rest of us!

Wendy said...

I'm thinking of the upcoming weeks, too - my SIL is having her baby this coming Monday and our friend is having hers three weeks after that. Just gets better and better in terms of dealing with how hard all of this is. (Of course I'm excited for them, too, but you know how it goes...)

Hmm...what am I thankful for?

I am thankful that I'm now on Thanksgiving vacation from work and don't have to listen to any of my coworkers go on and on about their kids. Yay for a few days off!

In all honesty, though, I am really thankful to know you, B. You are a really great friend, and I appreciate how you've been here for me. Thanks.

Karen said...

I'm thankful that tomorrow is a half-day and if one of my coworkers is pregnant she won't have time to make an announcement then. I know she'd want to have a full day when sharing the news so she can bask in the glory.

I'm thankful that, although I will be spending Thanksgiving with my cousins who have 7 children among them, I won't feel jealous because most of their kids are so badly behaved.

This is a great post. Thank you for it!

Just Me. said...

hehe.. I am thankful that I got to know you earlier this year cuz you have been the most amazing bloggy friend.

We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here but I would roast you a turkey if I were there with you. Hmmm... maybe now you might want to be thankful that I'm not cooking for you. LOL.

Happy Thanksgiving, B!!!!

HUGS!!!!!!

Momasita said...

Great post! I bet you felt so much better after getting all of that out there.

I'm feeling meh about all things baby right now, so I can't think of anything to be "thankful" for - even though our Thanksgiving was in October.

Have a wonderful, peaceful Thanksgiving!

A said...

OK, I just LOVE your list. The holidays suck, that's just all there is to it. I wasn't going to decorate at all, until SIL invited themselves to our house for Xmas... I need to get a spine and call them back and say NO.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that I get to sleep in on Xmas morning and not have to deal with shrieking whining kids who want to open presents they probably won't appreciate anyway...

*sigh* Not in a good frame of mind tonight so probably should not answer this one...

xxx

Polly Gamwich said...

I am thankful that I don't have to hold back tears as my outlaws (known as inlaws to some) go on and on about how proud they are of their niece and nephew, and how the presence of grandchildren have changed their lives, and it's the biggest blessing they've ever had.

And yes, they know our 2.5 year hell with 4 miscarriages. All I can think about are the 4 babies I've "withheld" ... cause I'm a "habitual" aborter don't you know ... I CHOSE this.

Missing you Brenda, glad to see your wit surface in the midst of work's chaos. I've been thinking about you a lot and hoping that the distance has meant a 'good' distraction (ok, as good as it can be)

Hugs,
Polly ;-)

Lisa said...

I hear ya sista! I have been there done that with the snarky list before. You are Sooooo not alone.s

Can you beleive my beta is tomorrow -- on Thanksgiving Day??? I'm so hoping that it turns out positive and I actually have something to be thankful for. But I am dreading the worst and afraid that Thanksgiving will be the worst day ever and I will NEVER be thankful for anything again. I seriously hope that the universe isn't playing the cruelist joke of all of me by making my beta on Thanksgiving.

statin

Pepper said...

I am thankful to be going to festivities at a family member's house that isn't far from where I live so I can go whenever I please.

BTW - you're right; I did tweak the comment settings on my blog. Isn't it funny how checking one little box can cause so much chaos? I fixed the problem - a little too late , I guess - but at least you won't have to sign in from now on. :-)

Have a wonderful, peaceful holiday.

Jill said...

I love your list! My fave?

"I am thankful that I will not have to POAS or shove progesterone up my hoo-ha while traveling and staying with relatives."

Prog up the hoo-ha stinks! It REALLY does!

I just wanted to say that I'm thankful to have met you. You are such an incredibly kind and supportive person. :-)

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

MRS. ERIN SMITH said...

I love you. So much.

Erin
xoxox

Miah said...

Love your list. It is so true. I also love the fact my brothers kids want gift cards too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Me said...

I'm thankful that I talked DH into not going over to the in-laws until 2 instead of noon so that I can spend 2 less hours around SIL.

I'm thankful SIL isn't pregnant yet.

I'm thankful that I don't have to cook the Thanksgiving meal.

I'm thankful that MIL and FIL's liquor cabinet is always stocked.

I'm kind of a bitch today. DH is being a sour puss and it's irritating the crap out of me. Now I have to go be around SIL. I just got involuntary shivers from tying that. Gee, wonder how I feel? :p

Anonymous said...

Brenda,

Here's to a wonderful, work-filled Thanksgiving day. Know that you are not alone.

Many Blessings to you,

*hug*
Anna

Retro Girl said...

Hi - I'm new to your post. Love this list! Made me laugh. Happy Thanksgiving!

Wishing 4 One said...

I luv ya girl... You are like one of the sweetest bloggers I know, sounds corny but I mean it. You always take the time to post such thoughtful words and I know you are sincere. So I am thankful for "knowing" you and hoping ivf 3 is it for you and ivf 6 is it for me! Sending you lots of big fat hugs...OOOOOO XXXXX OOOOOguroty

E said...

Stumbled upon your blog and your geriatric babies caught my eye! So cute...anyway, love the list! I can so relate. I'm further removed from the IVF extravaganza, but I get it all.

I am thankful that we're moving and I can use that as an excuse not to decorate for Christmas for the 2nd year in a row (last year we went away for the holidays...bliss!). I'm also thankful for internet shopping, so I can peruse items for our nephew and nieces without having to go to freaking Toys 'R Us.

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful that you're thankful for all that crap! We're also skipping family holiday gatherings, and we just decided yesterday to do an all-gift-card Christmas for the dozen or so children on our gift list. :)

Shelby said...

I love this list and I wish I could share in every single one of them! But, of course, I get to have a few newborns shoved in my face this holiday season and it's enough to make me run for the hills.

As for my gratitude, I am thankful for Martinis and most importantly, I am thankful that the first thing Mr. S's family does is make me one during the holidays, because I'll need it. I plan to be sufficiently sauced by the time Mr. S's newlywed cousin walks through the door with his newborn, so much so that no one would entrust me to hold a baby anyway, haha. This is my one saving grace and so, for that I am thankful!

filoli said...

I keep coming back and back and back to reread this post. I love it!

Polly Gamwich said...

Hey lady,

Just wanted to let you know that you might want to surface if/when you can to accept the kickin award that Wendy gave both of us. Head on over to her blog to pick it up.

Otherwise, if you're in the shitter, just throw and break a few more things, and have a drink (not that I'm advocating alcoholism ... I'm not, at least not during work hours) ... and don't bother with the award - been there.

Miss you sweety, but holding strong until you're able to join us again ...

Yours faithfully,
Polly

Just Me. said...

You ok, B?

(((Hugs)))

Lost in Space said...

Thanks, girls. Sorry I have been so absent. I am doing well and hope to post an update later this week. Work has been kicking my ass again. Hugs to you both and thanks for checking in on me.