
With all my new found AMA glory, I celebrated the day in true infertile style with a visit to see my old RE, Dr. K for an endometrial biopsy (as requested by Dr. Schoolcraft at CCRM). If I could offer up any assvice to my fellow infertiles, this was a very bad idea. I don't know why I didn't seek out information on what to expect beforehand (oh yeah, work and no time), but in all the procedures I have had to date, this ranks up there as one of the most painful. I would have chosen another day, but it needs to be done 9-11 days after my LH surge as measured by an OPK. Days 9 and 10 were packed with reviews and meetings so day 11 (my birthday) was all I could do.
I was nervous about going in to see Dr. K with orders from CCRM. I had only spoken to his nurse, a coordinator, and the lab manager to get it all squared away so I wasn't sure how Dr. K would act. In all his sweetness, he came in with a big smile and an even bigger hug. He was more concerned about how we have been doing and wanted to hear what CCRM had to say. He said he was happy to have another set of eyes on our case and thinks only good things can come of this.
He then said, "So you came to me for the painful procedure, huh?" I gave a partially puzzled look, I'm sure. Seriously, I have had so many instruments shoved up my lady bits in the last couple years that I no longer know what to make of what a male doctor considers painful. It's all a "little" uncomfortable, causes a "little" pressure, or will make you cramp a "little" and then it's over, right? He started to describe that there would be the tried and true speculum insertion, a clamp placed on my cervix, and then a catheter inserted through my cervix to the uterus. The catheter has a smaller tube inside it that he would use to withdraw to create suction at the end of the catheter. He said something about moving and rotating the smaller tube of the catheter in and out to collect small pieces of endometrial tissue. He then said because it is crucial that he gets enough tissue to sample that he would have to do this twice. Honestly, he lost me at clamped cervix, but I looked up a description online and it seemed vaguely familiar for what I remember him saying. Once I was "clamped" in place, he said, "I'm sorry, but this next part is going to really hurt."
I can usually hold my own with this pain stuff, but Dr. K suddenly looked a little more like Dr. Krueger with his spinning/rotating catheter feeling an awful lot like those infamous knife fingers that Freddy sports.
No matter how sweet he was and how much he apologized, I could not stop wincing from the pain. M jumped up when I started groaning very loudly and held my hands. I gripped onto him and got ready for round 2. Yup, just as bad. Dr. K said, "Only 10 more seconds" about half way through the 2nd grinding and I thought I was going to pass out. I broke into a cold sweat and then the shakes and teeth chattering started. It was over, but the after effects lingered on. Dr. K told me to just lie down for awhile and take it easy.
Either I am becoming soft in my old age or this procedure really does just suck, but I'm not planning to sign up for another one of these without some kind of anesthesia. Yes, it really was that bad.
Dr. K went above and beyond making sure I was okay. He wished us the best and told us if there was anything else he could do to help to just let him know. He said he would love for us to keep him in the loop with what is going on at CCRM. I told him this was our closure cycle and he gave me another big hug and said he hopes this one works for us.
Even though I had planned to go on our regular bi-monthly DQ Friday lunch run and had a meeting in the afternoon, I completely bailed on it all. I was just done. Maybe on a regular day I would have stuck it out, but I figured this was enough for my official "old lady" birthday. M drove me home and I spent the rest of the afternoon in slumberland with a half bottle of Aleve and a heating pad.
Tonight, however, I plan to celebrate with a piece of pumpkin cheesecake somewhere out there. Claim Jumper was out of it last week, but we will go door to door until I get a piece tonight. (I might even have some birthday dinner too.)
**In case you haven't yet noticed, I have yet to really figure out how this thing works. WTF are all the plants and stuff for? I don't get the games and polls and groups things either. Maybe 35 is too old to get what this is all about. Do you think they can add that to the demise that is AMA? "If you have no kids by age 35, you will never figure out the likes of Facebook or MySpace." LOL.
20 comments:
That sounds like a truly awful thing to have to do on your birthday. Hugs to you. I hope that pumpkin cheesecake gives you some sort of miniscule comfort.
P.S. I don't get Facebook either. I have been given a piece of flair, but don't know what to do with it. I am baffled as well.
Happy Birthday!
Sorry you had a date with Dr. Freddy Krueger fingers on you B-Day. You deserve that pumpkin cheesecake. Yum!
The biopsy sounds like torture! I thought it was crazy that my RE wanted to give me valium for the transfer - which by the way felt like a pap smear - but if I ever have to go for this test I will take whatever they give me...
All my friends are harassing me to join Facebook. I just haven't worked up the gumption to figure out how to have a public persona. A semi-anonymous blog is just about enough for me!
Thanks for your good wishes re: my hpt - I have sworn that I will not pee on anything until Monday!
Happy Birthday B! I'm sorry that you hadto celebrate it with such a painful experience.
FB is pretty difficult to understans. I'm slowly catching on though. We should be buddies! Look me up :) My full name is Bridget MacQueen and I have my dog as my profile pic.
oh no! that sounds just awful. i am so sorry and on your birthday no less. but at least its over!
thinking of you on your bday weekend! it was truly a pleasure to meet you and know i am pulling for you with everything i have!
Ugh - I am sorry you had to do that on your birthday! I hope you found your pumpkin cheesecake.
Ugh... happy friggin' bday. I hope you got *TWO* slices of pumpkin cheesecake!
Happy Belated Birthday.
I had that painful biopsy 3 months ago! It was PAINFUL!!! VERY!!! I always have a high threshold on pain but for that procedure, I remember wincing and telling the doctor that it's painful. It nearly put me off from another cycle if I have to do it again. It did have a long after effect too.
The diagnosis on AMA, well , don't let it affect you. A friend of mine told me that she's pregnant at 39 yrs old.If this is your closure cycle, you need to give everything your best. Be very hopeful too. I'll keep praying for you.
Happy belated birthday!
I get the stupid plants and stuff too on facebook. I don't get it either!
I went in to the RE when I was 35. I distinctly remember telling the RE that I was nervous that I was about to turn 35 and he made a big deal about how things don't just drop off at 35, they sort of decline a little faster. Of course now I am about to turn 36 and am kind of freaking out that it is all taking so damn long!
The biopsy sounds awful! I'm so sorry you had to go through that.
Welcome to the dark side... you have now entered into a new demographic. Just wait until you have to fill some sort of survey - you are now in the next age group and lumped in with a whole other generation. Glad you could join us. Your AARP card will arrive in the mail shortly.
That does sound like a crappy way to spend an afternoon, but I hope the cheesecake made up for it just a little.
Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you!!!!! Many good wishes for a terrific year coming your way wrapped in a pretty box with a great big bow on top.
Ouch-ma!
That does NOT sound like fun. I can't believe you endured that awake.
HAPPY (stupid) BIRTHDAY!! I don't know about you, but I've hated these birthdays ... and to hit AMA ... that's just crap.
I hope you're able to recoop and delight in some yummy cheesecake this weekend.
Oh, and I'm glad Dr. K sounds encouraging and supportive - you wouldn't need that drama too.
omfg that procedure sounds awful! Cheesecake factory usually has the pumpkin cheesecake if you have one near you.
Also, I did have better egg quality with IVF #2. The only thing I did different was that human growth hormone that your new RE wants you to try. Or it could have been just dumb luck with a better cycle or it could have been that appendectomy I had three days before my retrieval but I do NOT recommend that.
Anyway, I'm hopeful for your next IVF and praying for some SPECTACULAR looking eggs this time with that extra human growth hormone. Fingers crossed.
Oy! What a way to spend your birthday. :( But what's a busy girl to do when its unavoidable? Although not knowing how bad it would be beforehand probably allowed you to not get too anxious and psyched up, some pre-warnings would have been nice, I'm sure.
Ok, and pumpkin cheesecake? I have never tried this, but I think it might be a necessity now. Happy Birthday! I am wishing the best for CCRM. Keeping you in my thoughts!
Yikes. That's one I never had to have done and boy am I grateful for that now. I'm sorry you spent your birthday that way. I hope the pumpkin cheesecake eased the pain a bit.
I just joined FB after being harassed into it by some younger friends. I like seeing the updates and photos, but I have about 15 requests involving plants, Halloween candy, and Christmas ornaments. I just avoid looking at them because I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with them. Let me know if you figure it out.
Ouch! That sounded aweful - thank God your man was there with you...my endometrial biopsy also hurt like a b*tch and I was by myself during it... never again!
Sending you BIG HUGS!!!
Happy (Belated) Birthday.
Your post had me wincing terribly in pain. I'm sorry you had to do that at all but especially ON YOUR BIRTHDAY. That blows.
For the record, I think all the plants and pumpkins and various other apps on FB are retarded.
OMG! That sounds excrutiating. I'm so sorry that you had to go through that.
((HUGS))
Pumking cheesecake sounds delicious!
Thank you so much for your thoughts and comments. They really help me.
Sorry I'm a bit slow here. I just read your post and I can't tell you how truly sorry that it hurts. was shocked too when Dee told me about endometrial biopsy that she did earlier this year. And you had to do it on your birthday. There are no words - so not fun. I hope you enjoyed that pumpkin cheesecake. I would have given you a slice of my speciality - home baked bread. Ever since I've mastered it, I've been bragging that I can bake. :)
Yes, fb told me it was your birthday but I sort of remembered that yours was very close to babes.
Happy belated Birthday B.
Hugs *not letting go!!!!*
I just. don't. get. the whole facebook thing, to be honest. I mean - argggh. If it's not the stupid plants and stuff, it's the announcements: "Zelma is.... PREGNANT" which, you know, I can really do without. Also with people's hundreds of photos of their children. Enough!! Is it not bad enough when I have to see them in person? Now they can bug me online, too? Arrgghhh. I hate it.
AMA...lol! I am still living in a dream world where I declare that AMA is at least 40. Doesn't 35 still seem too early? I mean, crap, we are too young...we look young, we act young, no way AMA!
As for facebook, I have an account I don't even check because I cannot figure it out and have no desire to spend the time. Blame the ipod, I want intuitive design people! I guess I have AIA (Advance Internet Age).
Post a Comment