Let me start this by saying that I am not a "keeping up with the Joneses" kind of girl. My vehicle is a manual '95 beat up Ford Ranger that I have had since undergrad and is **on it's last leg**. It does not speak working professional and compared to our neighbor's vehicles, I am sure that I am "bringing down the 'hood" or at least putting it in 'hood status). My thoughts: It's paid for, it runs, and I don't give a rat's ass about "status". (**Yes, it looks that bad as we get notes on the windshield once or twice a month from mechanics named Jose, Ivan, and Jesus who want to buy it for parts - even if it isn't running.**)
I do not enjoy car shopping. Surprise, surprise. I feel like the **salespeople are out to screw us** as soon as we walk on the lot. I have had no interest in going since our accident and M has been not-so-patiently scouring the net for vehicles that might interest me. He finally figured out the way to even get me to look at stuff was through an Excel spreadsheet. Yes, laugh away. Call me the nerd that I am. He knows me way too well and knew that if he made a spreadsheet that I would have to look at it to satisfy my obsession for Excel and all that is organization. I did have to make some "minor adjustments" to keep everything right in my happy spreadsheet world, but he at least got me to look. (**Apologies to any car salespeople or family/friends of them. I'm sure the one you know is "different".**)
We compared, test drove, looked at several vehicles, and settled on a used silver 2007 Toyota Rav4 Limited. The price was right, features great, gas mileage good, and we both like it. What does any of this have to do with IF?
- I am a huge Dave Ramsey fan and he has brainwashed me to believe that debt (outside of our mortgage) is the enemy. If we don't have the money for something, we don't buy it. We were saving to eventually replace my Ranger when that last leg finally gives out, but then we were faced with IVF#1 and our new vehicle fund became our IVF fund. Money down the tubes.....Literally.
- We got a **nice tax refund** this year. If IVF#1 had worked, this would have become our new vehicle fund. Instead it became the start of IVF#2 fund. Knowing how that ended, I think a new vehicle would have been much better, huh? (**CA mortgages tend to help this when you pay through the wazoo on interest and property taxes.**)
- We got a check for our totalled vehicle which seriously should have been our new vehicle fund, but it is going toward IVF#3. Yup, we financed the vehicle going completely against all that is Dave Ramsey.
I hate that we have already paid over $30k in this baby making journey when most get as many babies as their hearts desire for free.
I hate that every car salesperson that we spoke to couldn't resist the temptation to ask if we have **kids**. I think this is their "in" to sell you on the safety features because obviously those of us without children aren't worthy of or interested in cars that perform well in a front end test crash. (**An "I hate kids" or "2 time IVF failure" t-shirt would have come in mighty handy for our car shopping excursions.**).
I hate hearing from my pregnant office-mate that this vehicle will give us alot of room. Yes, a whole fucking empty back seat. We are thrilled too.
Okay, bitterness is seeping out a bit so it's probably time to bring this to a close. I am happy to have the vehicle, thrilled that the hunt is over, and appreciative that we can afford IF treatments and a vehicle. Believe me, I know how lucky we are. It's just a bitter pill to swallow though.
*~*~*~*~*
Side note: Just because we have decided on a third round doesn't mean it will happen anytime soon. I still have no interest in researching our next clinic yet. Before IVF#2, we talked about going to CCRM if we needed a third cycle. They take the hardest cases and they still have some of the best (if not the best) stats for women who have had multiple failed cycles elsewhere. It's just a bit harder to move this forward now that our reality is approaching that one last ditch "hurrah" effort. Going to CCRM means travelling out of state and staying in CO for a couple weeks or more. It is also much more expensive - probably double one of our previous cycles after adding in the travel and boarding.
More saving is needed.
My work schedule is also not pretty for the rest of this year and we have already been told to not make any holiday or vacation plans.
Time off could be tricky.
Lots to think about.
Still processing, I guess.
18 comments:
Hey, we must be thinking alike cuz babes and I are thinking of getting a car! And we don't have much budget for it either. Our budget for a car: $5k. And we live so close to the city so it will definitely mean bringing down the hood. :) Something that we can pay for fast, it runs, and we don't give a rat's ass about "status"! :)
But the 2007 Toyota Rav4 Limited looks great! I should show babes.
I hate car salesman talk about if you have kids. Annoying. Your colleague sounds so too. I would probably tell her, yeah, we need the empty back seat to make out like teenagers! Annoying, again.
Wow that, CCRM does look good. Is that the one we were talking about via email?
I shall be praying my Gospel of Debt for you cuz I pray this for myself everyday :), Thou shall save money and fight this fight with hopes that I can have a miracle in my arms someday. *wink wink*
fyi - did i tell you that i have a shoe shopping disorder? sigh. Babes has been praying his Gospel of Debt for me for aeons!
Yeeha on the new car! Sounds divine and I think that putting the money aside for # 3 is a good thing... You don't want to have to scramble for the IVF money when the time comes and this way you might be in a little more debt but you can pay it off as well, it's not like you'll never pay the car off...
But as you said you're still processing... that sometimes takes some time too...
HUGS!!!
We are so alike! Let me just take a moment to admit my grocery list in in an excel spreadsheet!! I love spreadsheets. When DH wants me to be interested in something, he makes a spreadsheet too!! LOL!
I am a firm believer, also, that if we don't have the money, we don't do it. It was really hard to take a loan for IVF. Of course I have my amitorization shedule spreadsheet!
And, everyone always is commenting that our explorer is SOOO roomy. We have empty back seat syndrome too. ERRR. But, hey thanks for noticing right?
If there is anything I can do, please let me know.. I live about 2 hours away from Denver.....
Am I reading it right, after #3 you might be done? We paid for 4 cycles. After that, we will evaluate our next step (adoptions or perhaps coming to the realization that it is just not meant to be..) I am a person who believes that everything happens for a reason.
chelle(at)centpave.com
Hey girl! Dang, you sound so good! I feel such a relief for you, knowing that you are making big decisions and sound like a bit of hope might be creeping in again.
I think part of making these financial decisions is that we (infertiles) do have to spend money on procedures and tests that others don't have to. These monetary confinements throw off our plan to save for a baby or vacations, so we feel defeated and unfairly treated.
I guess we eventually come to the conclusion that our life is not the same of those around us who can conceive naturally, but at least we still have a chance. I'm so proud of you and am looking forward to what comes next.
Happy Friday, honey!
Cant go wrong with a Toyota! ;)!! they last forever! i have a 4runner! and love it! And screw thos salespeople.. they are like vultures!! I was lucky enough to work for the distributer and knew the cost price before going in.. Boy did i have fun playing with them.. Glad you settled on the Rav! its nice!! and SIlver is awesome!
Makeng that next step is very hard!! look at us it took us 8 months... But once you get to CCRM Boy do things look good! Good luck with your decsion! the extra $$ def plays a part in that.. it was tough for us for sure! keep us posted!@ :)
Oh, I am right there with you on the vehicle thing. We were forced to buy me a new car this summer and did so only after checking it out on our trusty little spreadsheet. I thought, "Hmmm, that slot on my Excel spreadhseet was supposed to be titled IVF", so it will make it that much harder for us to move ahead with other priorities. But a necessity is a necessity...need the car to get to work to make the money to pay for treatment, so I guess it's all full circle.
I actually gave my SUV to my Mom and got a four seater convertible 2 weeks after my miscarriage. It was a way of symbolizing that I won't be needing that extra room after all. I know, not the best reasoning in picking a car, but I don't regret it. I can't keep planning for something that may be years down the road. I need to live life now.
By the way, I've never heard of CCRM. I'll have to look into it if the time comes. Very good to know.
Two last things: I've posted my tag...and congrats on the new wheels!
The statistics looks very good for CCRM. If you are in the states, you should try to go for it.
But I'm reading a book, "Expecting Miracles" and the author Dr Christo Zouves was in Pacific Fertility Centre. He helped alot of couple conceived through IVF. In his book, it seems that he helped alot of people and he mentioned alot of special "things" he does. I google but he's no longer on the panel of doctor in pacific centre. Maybe he has moved on. If you can't travel out of state, this could be your next best place.
If you happen to be going to this clinic, then great! You are already in great hands!
I'm a Dave Ramsey fan, too. But, I think it's really, really difficult to do everything the guy recommends.
Congrats on the new Toyota!!
Feel free to ask me anything you'd like about CCRM. My email is jill.a.phelps@gmail.com.
I wish I could be more organised and have a love for spreadsheets. Although I have just started a spreadsheet this week. It details how much money I am spending on things to help me get pregnant (books, fertility monitor sticks, pregnancy tests etc). It's not a cheap thing to do x
I own a 2000 Toyota Rav4 and love it. I think it has a bit more clearance than the newer models. Of all the big purchases in my life, I did it right on this one. The only nice thing about car salesmen is that you can negotiate on price. I got a few hundred dollars off my used car. Thank those skills I learned when I lived in Africa. You can read more about it in my "tagged" post.
Well, I'm glad you and your DH were able to get a new car. We had to get a new one a few weeks ago, too (not because of it being in an accident....my husband's Jeep was just too expensive to fill with gas anymore.) I hate the comments about having kids from sales people, too (that goes for any salespeople - car or otherwise.)
I've heard a lot of good things about CCRM. I can understand needing more time to figure things out, though.
BTW, thank you for posting on my blog and checking on me. I appreciate it a lot. :)
hey girl, miss you. congrats on the car. sorry all this sh-t has to be centered around our never ending quest for baby, its hard but we "manage" don't we?
take your time with ivf #3, though its hard you will once again be ready soon.... love to you girl...xoxoxoxo
So glad you and hubby went ahead --this 3rd time around-- and bought the vehicle. Too often it seems we delay the everyday necessities, for the hope of a baby in the future.
We forgo purchases (such as your much needed vehicle), jobs, travel, etc. thinking a possible future pregnancy just might occur.
So, by doing this I feel like you've permitted yourself to live in the here & now. To plan for and do what needs to be done now without the what ifs for the future. --- I hope i'm making some sense :o)
Anyway, I strongly applaud your actions--and now, I should go take my own advice.
Best Wishes.
*HUGS*
Anna.
Congrats on the new car. The whole IF costs vs. life costs is really frustrating.
So, you've decided to do another round of IVF. I'm glad you've got a plan.
BTW, I am a spreadsheet freak and so is my hubby. While I'm not really particular about how it looks, if he is looking at one of my spreadsheets he has to re-format everything so that it makes sense to him.
Congrats on the new car. I am glad that you have made the decision to do IVF #3 and are looking into other options even if it isn't soon. That's o.k. Process as long as you need. You will know when the time is right.
I really want to go buy a fun car with better gas mileage. But since mine is paid off and I don't want a payment I don't.
I hate car shopping too. One always feels like they could have done better in terms of price, financing, etc. I think you made a great choice getting a Toyota; they last forever.
I, too, hate having debt. I hate that we have to pay to conceive and others get to do it for free. OTOH, I hate to think where we might be had we not decided to go for it. Sucks all around.
Like you, I also hate car shopping (brokers are fantastic) and having to pay for IF treatments when other people get pg practically from looking at each other. There's no rhyme or reason to it.
CCRM sounds promising! I hope this gets easier.
xo
Post a Comment