About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

oscopy - schmoscopy

Since I already share entirely too much here, let me tell you about my day today.

6:45AM: Wake up and check some things on the net.

7:15AM: Shower, shave, and all that jazz

8:20AM: Saline enema #1

8:40AM: Saline enema #2 - because the first had me begging for more

9:00AM: Drive downtown to Santa Monica

10:30AM: It's sigmoidoscopy time - Lay on table with a scope/camera up my bum watching a monitor to see what my lower large intestine looks like from the inside - horrified and wishing I had done a saline enema #3

10:32AM: Locate the culprit of my bloody BM's - a polyp that my doc guessed to be about 1cm

10:45AM: Meet with doc to discuss removal of said polyp and full colonoscopy to check for more polyps. Go over colonoscopy prep which is an entire day of fun-filled "cleansing". Discuss risk factors of polyps (age, lifestyle, family history). The only one that even remotely applies to me is that I have a family member (paternal aunt) who has had cancer of the colon/large intestine - twice. Not exactly a risk factor I want. Why couldn't I just be a smoker or drinker and link it to that somehow?

10:55AM: Discuss scheduling of colonoscopy in coordination with IVF#2. No way it can happen before our cycle will start and he doesn't want me to cycle and get pregnant without taking care of this first. IVF#2 must be bumped for a month.

10:57AM: Eyes well with tears. I keep telling myself that it is only a month - no big deal - but it just doesn't matter. I wish I were one of those "pretty" criers with tears gently rolling down my slightly rosy cheeks. Nope, I'm an ugly, sobbing/mild hyperventilating, blotchy-scrunched-red-faced crier. Completely embarrassed and just want the hell out of there. Doc is great and very helpful.

11:05AM: Set up appointment for colonoscopy/polypectomy on May 30th - the first available appointment. Wait for receptionist to get off the phone, sob and sniffle some more in empty waiting room.

12:00PM: Back home. Talk to M. who is very disappointed too.

2:00PM: Realize that if my cycles go according to their regularly scheduled programming, I would most likely be starting Lupron injections for IVF#2 suppression on around May 31st - the day after the colonoscopy. Call RE's nurse in mild panic.

4:00PM: Still waiting for call back and praying we won't have to wait it out for 2 months.


Looking for the silver lining for cycle postponement:

  • There could have been something worse found today - thinking Richard Gere and that poor gerbil
  • There could have been nothing found today and I would be left wondering and succumbed to more testing anyway
  • I will have more acupuncture sessions before our cycle
  • I can plan on going to the Indiana Jones premiere party with friends (I thought this would originally happen around day 10 of stims)
I know a month (or even 2) is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things, but I'm still disappointed. My elevated FSH has me worried and we have already waited long enough. I want off this roller-coaster.

12 comments:

A - said...

Oh, B, that oscopy sounded terrible. I'm so glad they didn't find anything more than a polyp today. Big hugs about the colonoscopy and having to postpone IVF #2 by a few weeks. I hope the logistics work out perfectly! :::hugs:::

bb said...

Two things:

1) Ouch, that does not sound like fun! Glad you can laugh about it.

2) May 30 is my bday, and now you will always remember me!

Seriously, I'll be thinking about you and sending good thoughts for only a 1 month wait your way.

Polly Gamwich said...

I'm sorry you have to wait. I just want you to know that I care about your down-under health and your overall health and I want everything to be the perfect setting for when you do get pregnant in IVF #2. So although it stinks to delay, I'm glad that you are ... I really want you perfectly healthy for caring for that little one.

Plus you get to celebrate the Indiana Jones movie - good times!!

Lots of hugs,
Polly

Jen said...

Bah. Waiting sucks. Who cares if it's another month? You've waited long enough. Boo!
Hopefully the colonoscopy comes out squeaky clean, and you can get started with the Lupron ASAP.

Jen said...

OK, I meant to say "who cares if it's JUST another month"
Meaning, people who say that are dumb. A month is a long time.

Karen said...

I'm sorry you have to wait another month before starting IVF#2. There are already so many ups and downs during this whole IF deal that when you think you finally have things aligned and they don't work out, it's all the more frustrating. I know you're supposed to be mature and say you want to be as healthy as you can for your cycle, but it still stinks. ((HUGS))

kaaron said...

Oh, I am so sorry that the pesky polyp is postponing your next IVF! I hope you are able to catch that well-deserved break soon.

P.S. Mad props to you for driving all that way after 2 enemas. WTG, sista!

Alison said...

I'm sorry they found a polyp, but so GLAD they found something causing your problems! I'm also sorry you have to postpone ivf#2, but maybe we'll be cycling together again! (Silver lining) Ahhh, good times.

Miah said...

I am so sorry you have to wait. A month is an eternity in the IF world. I am glad that they found the problem and am sure it is just a polyp nothing more. (((hugs)))

Anonymous said...

Waiting sucks for sure, but I am so proud of you for tackling this issue and getting it squared away. We can wait together for IVF#2!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I live in Santa Monica (shhh....my blog says Sacramento, part of my undercover identity - which I've just blown). Maybe we live near each other???

Sorry for the delay. I can't believe you drove after that. Ouch!

Wendy said...

I am so sorry you're going through all this and that you had to have IVF round 2 postponed. I can completely understand being upset about that. I think you said that you are starting Lupron most likely on May 31st and I think I'll start right around then, too...so we really will be cycle buddies, just like you said. PM if you need to talk; you are going through a lot right now. ((hugs))