About Me

My photo
On the planet since 1973. Living in sin with M since 1997 and honestly since 2002. Failing at baby-making since 2005. And whining about it here since 2008. Come on in and sit a spell. This train wreck never seems to end.

Saturday, February 16, 2008

I love my old grey dog

We have 2 aging furbabies. Jordan is a 100lb - 11 year old golden retriever (with more grey than gold nowadays and 3 surgeries under his belt for cyst removals) and Molly is a 55lb - 9 1/2 year old German shorthaired pointer (on HBP meds for an enlarged heart and also bed-wetting meds). Yup, it's alot like a geriatric ward around our house.

We got Jordan as a puppy after only dating (and living together) for a couple months and living in a "no pets allowed" apartment. Oh how I wish I could be so young and dumb again. His birthday is a couple weeks before our dating anniversary, but we are trying to keep that secret. Shhhh. LOL. I guess my main reason for this post is how these shedding creatures help to keep me sane. This one is really about my "grey retriever". Molly will have to wait another day for her debut.

As Jordan gets older, he does many more things his own way - as a pup we often had to hide his ball on top of the refrigerator because after 50+ throws we really had to get back to studying - and now he watches the ball bounce and just lies there until you bring it back to him. He also only sleeps on his orthopedic 7-inch thick foam dog bed (that looks and feels just like a baby crib mattress) the first half of the night only to be found lounging on our leather couch in the morning (often with his head on a throw pillow). He sighs and moans like an old man who just wants others to know he is old and irritated - usually because we move, make a noise, or disturb his 27th nap of the day.

We get up at 5AM during the week and have to coax and bribe him off the couch to go outside for a few minutes before he is back in for his glucosamine (medicine treat), a big drink, and back to said beds. Yes, he really has it rough. We have learned that a more comfortable and natural time for him to get up on his own is about 7:30AM. I am normally up before 6:30AM on the weekends because my body is so used to it so I usually go to the den and play on the computer waiting for DH (and the dogs) to get up. (Molly will not get off her orthopedic sheepskin bed or out from under her fleece dog-paw/dog bone blanket until there is nobody left in our bed.) Our old grey dog was the first one there to comfort me last night when I had my hormotional cry over my meds and got up this morning at 5:45AM to check on me in the den. I know this is much too early for him, but there he is anyway just being the sweet old teddy bear of a pup that he always has been. I am not sure what I would do without this gentle old furball of a dog, but I hope we can make his "golden" years as bright as he has made my life. Well, maybe not bright because light=moan in his grumpy old dog world.

My sweet old grey grump

3 comments:

kaaron said...

Awwwww.... what a sweetheart. Love that little face. It is amazing how much they do for our psyche by simply being there.

A - said...

Awww... isn't it wonderful to know you have the unconditional love of your two pups? This post was so touching, I think partly because it reminded me of my own dogs might be down the road (ours are 3 and 4). Mine still force us into putting their balls on top of the refrigerator because we won't get any studying done otherwise.

Sorry the meds are making you so miserable :( . We do care about you and understand the gamut of feelings you're going through. We're here for you!

Let It Be said...

Jordan is such a beautiful boy! I so get how you feel about him. We lost our Prancer (female min/pin - chihuahua mix) at just shy of 15 yo at the end of August. We had her since the 2nd month of our marriage. Luckily we still have Pogo (our 12 yo toy fox terrier). They are such a constant in our lives with their loyal devotion and unconditional love. Your story was so touching, and it sounds like your pups are as lucky to have you as you are to have them!